We have a rather large forum site (8 mill pages/month), and there has been some threads about how people can block out the ads. The discussions gave me some ideas, which led me to develop a simple ad-block-detector.
    (Code can be provided for the interested)

My testing shows that about 10% of our visitors use ad-blockers. With two banners on each page, that is 1,600,000 ads that is blocked every month, 19,200,000 blocked ads every year.
    With these numbers, we have a significant loss from ad-blockers, and this from only one site.

Our dilemma is this:
    Should we redirect users with ad-blockers to a warning page, telling them that freeloadsers are not accepted?

Or should we just let them ride for free?

The script I made can kick in on every xth page they read to annoy the freeloaders once in a while, or on every page to block them out completely. An average session shows 18+ pages.

We are in some serious doubts on how to attack this problem. We don't want to annoy our visitors more than we have to, but on the other hand, we can't afford to serve ad-free pages. The ads pay for the rather expensive hosting.

The best solution we have found until now, may be to offer an ad-free membership on the site, telling the freeloaders that they have to have a paid membership if they don't want to see our ads. We can easily serve ad-free pages for specific user groups on the forum.

Any ideas people? What do you think?

I think I'd start off with just one redirect to the warning page at first. Be sure to explain WHY they are seeing the page, and do it in a way that they can understand this isn't something you WANT to do, but MUST do to keep the forum online. Explain the cost of bandwidth, maintenance, etc. to them so they'll understand there's a real financial consideration involved.

If that doesn't have much of an impact, change the redirect to happen more frequently. Explain that some will be completely blocked if they continue to block the ads. If still no change, block them.

I've found the majority of people are very supportive of sites they like, so letting them know there's an issue should help considerably. It might also be a good idea to provide instructions or links on the warning page that tell them how to unblock the ads on your forum.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    Get some ads that can't be blocked.

Small Shop,

If you can detect the adblockers and redirect them, how about directing them to a page that tells the visitor they have adblockers on and how to disable the adblocker feature. Don't put any navigation on the page, just a button that says continue, and let 'em move on whatever they do.

From what I understand, Norton 2004 has this on as the default. Try to write the instructions disabling the adblocker in 3 steps or less. I work in an office and part of my job is tech support. I've noticed that if you write everything clearly in many precise steps, no one will ever correct the problem. If you sneakily combine steps and only list 3 things, they'll do it without a problem, or will at least ask.

The "freeloaders" may only be a small minority of that 10%. And, even if they're freeloaders, they can still refer others to your site for the content.

There's a script for bookmarking sites. There's one for adding a site to the desktop. If someone can come up with one that adds the site to Norton and other programs, then visitors could click on the link if they want to see the full site. Put up a small notice that says something like: "Does this site appear to be missing something? Your antivirus software may be clouding the view. Click Here to get the full picture."

Jimbo2002 - How do you know which ads aren't blocked and which are? Where can I get ads that won't be blocked? I'm doing my site by hand and would prefer to change the links as little as possible.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Don't buy Norton IS. It will lock up your computer and crash your browser. Plus why would you want to put money in their pocket when they are taking money out of yours? You can DN the free trial to test it out on your ads.

Plus at the bottom of my Norton page is a big list of the URLS and ad sizes it blocks.

http://www.5staraffiliateprograms.co...s-revenue.html

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    IUt wasn't until I actually saw what was happening with the ads that I really dealt with the problem, I tried a bunch of things b4 seeing what would work and what wouldn't. I tried javascript redirects, that didn't work. I tried this and that.

The fact is until you see what is happening u'll never know if a workaround works or now. shareasale says that their workaround work, and I can attest that it does. How often are you going to download their free trial?

Of course most of the time (when I'm not testing) I have the ad blocker off.

Either way, I still like norton's antivirus the best and the firewall seems to work. You have to buy these things anyway so y not from norton, they aren't doing what they are doing to be melicious, if cj can get off their ass and come up with an agreement with norton the problem would be solved, after all shareasale doesn't have a problem, y should cj?

Mike

NIS does not lock up my machine, nor crash my browser.

It is a slow, ugly app.

@ojmoo, I don't see a difference on the page, still can't click the AdSense ads at the bottom, and all the other links seemed to work on the first page.

@smallshop,
    Can your script detect the difference between the ad-blocking feature being enabled and just the application being present? In other words, on most of my friends' sites I click my little Web assistant drop down and allow ads. Also when shopping I disable the ad blocker *for that site*.

The reason I bring up the difference between the app and the feature, is that I won't be uninstalling NIS any time too soon. Not until I have time to do plenty of research to replace the Anti-virus (and please, let's be clear that it's usually not anti-virus software that kills ads, you could worry Joe Average User that the ads are virii), the nanny, the firewall, and yes, the ad-blocking.

Were I to find myself being asked by a webmaster of a site I frequented to turn off ad blocking to cover server costs, I'd feel free to decide to either comply or give up visiting.
    If I disabled the ad blocking but still got the message because I still have NIS2004 on my system, I'd feel frustrated.

If I were asked to pay a membership fee, I'd be willing if the cost was equivalent to the benefit I gain. There is a particular webmaster's forum that I have still not joined, because the cost is higher than my perceived benefit. If the cost were lower or I perceived a benefit equal to the cost, I'd pay up.

NIS is not going to be the last of the ad-blocker problems. The demand is there, programmers will keep offering ad-blockers.
    Video Marketing Success eBook -- co-written by webmarm

I have NIS, and I haven't experienced any problems whatsoever with it. It can be slow at times, but it pretty much runs in the background, and only makes itself known when necessary.

I had PC-Cillin and Black Ice before Norton, and had quite a bit of trouble with Black Ice.

I agree with Linda, I hate to support a company that doesn't have my best interests at heart, but I feel like the situation between CJ and Norton goes much deeper than we suspect. After all, CJ has been working with Norton for months now, to no avail, so there must be more to it than we realize. Perhaps it's CJ's love affair with the software applications that overwrite our cookies, track visitors movements, and fill up CJ's bank account!

Andy

quote:
    ---------------------
    "Don't buy Norton IS. It will lock up your computer and crash your browser. Plus why would you want to put money in their pocket when they are taking money out of yours?"
    ---------------------

quote:
    ---------------------
    Either way, I still like norton's antivirus the best and the firewall seems to work. You have to buy these things anyway so y not from norton,

---------------------

quote:
    ---------------------
    "they aren't doing what they are doing to be melicious, if cj can get off their ass and come up with an agreement with norton the problem would be solved,"
    ---------------------

quote:
    ---------------------
    "but I feel like the situation between CJ and Norton goes much deeper than we suspect. After all, CJ has been working with Norton for months now, to no avail, so there must be more to it than we realize."
    ---------------------

quote:
    ---------------------
    "Don't buy Norton IS. It will lock up your computer and crash your browser. Plus why would you want to put money in their pocket when they are taking money out of yours?"
    ---------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Plus why would you want to put money in their pocket when they are taking money out of yours?"
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Give me data.

I have had all of one email about not seeing a link for a product. I've had tens of emails about credit card purchases shipped FEDEX to Indonesia, so I know the email addresses can be found.
    Video Marketing Success eBook -- co-written by webmarm

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread