I haven't seen too many discussions on using PPC, so I thought I'd start one here. I haven't really used PPC too much to this point, but I'm getting curious and have begun running a few campaigns. I'm finding that the more specific I am with my keywords, the better off I am.

It seems the more general phrases are a waste of money because half the time when somebody's searching for something specific I don't have it. I started to notice that a lot of people were finding me under phrases that won't make me money at all.

This got me to thinking and I decided to remove all my general keyword phrases and start from the most specific possible, my product names. Of course the product names need a lot of work to generate traffic so I need to sit down and go through them with a fine-toothed comb adding keywords and removing unncessary wording.

What strategies have you discovered in your PPC experiences? What have you learned to do and not to do? It's definitely not as easy as it seems so maybe I can get a little insight into your methods.

Thank you!
    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    The single most important thing to remember when starting in PPC is that it is not a level playing field.

If your competitor has a better commission deal, they will eat you alive.

It's all about ROI

Have a nice day

Very good point. If there aren't other affiliates advertising for a particular merchant that's well established, you might want to think twice. There could be a very good reason nobody's using PPC for that merchant.

It seems PPC is most valuable to the merchant rather than affiliates. Maybe it's something to use only for those really valuable merchants with the high comissions.

- Scott

I've been using ppc fairly successfully for several years, at first to recruit for other programs (I no longer play the recruiting game!) and also for products and services.

PPC is really not that complicated once you understand how it really works, but it requires a lot of your time if you use several PPCSE and a lot of testing.

Outbidding all your competitors is stupid and will most likely cost you more than you'll make. Unless you get $200 commission on one item. You'd better hope to sell at least one per day if your stragegy is to be in the #1 spot for too many general popular keywords.

How well you do will also vary with the website you promote. Sometimes having your own website is to your advantage, other times it works against you.

Depending on what you're selling, being on the 2nd or 3rd page, and even deeper, can play in your favor, a lot. By the time a potential customer reaches that page, they are serious about their purchase. The top 3 spots attract a lot of "window shoppers" when it's a general keyword.

The key to success with PPC in my experience is to keep your bids to a maximum of 25 cents per click with the majority at 10 cents or less, but have several hundred keywords, some people have thousands. I'd rather have 10 clicks at 25 cents or less per day and make one sale, than 100 clicks or more to make that one sale. It also depends on the commission structure of the program. Sometimes bidding high can be worth it, but most often it will break your bank.

In my daily maximum spending, I try not to exceed the equivalent commission of one sale. Unless I'm testing a new product or website. In the testing stages, you'll spend more trying to figure out what people are really searching for and which keywords or search phrases trigger a sale. Then you tweak your keywords and spending accordingly.

Test, test, and test again... When I'm testing a new link, I literally sit in front of the computer watching the clicks and search phrases so I don't overspend. If one set of keywords is generating a lot of clicks but no sales, it gets deleted fast. When I get a sale, I dig to find out where it came from.

The only thing I really HATE about PPC is that you have to watch your bids every day to make sure you're not bidding too much.

As advertisers run out of money below you, you could be bidding 15 cents when the next person right below you is at 6 cents. So each click you get costs you 8 cents you shouldn't have to pay. That's more than double. And it DOES happen! Some PPC email you about it, while with others you have to figure it out on your own. It's EXTREMELY time consuming!

Think outside of the box. Use a thesaurus to find variations of your keywords, not just a PPC keyword tool. Use several words, never just one word.

Just my thoughts...

Catwoman

Thanks for the post catwoman, very informative. I'm starting to see how this is done. I started off bidding upwards of 40 or 50 cents per click and that got expensive fast. Now I'm not doing anything more than .20. Since I'm doing more specific product based phrases, my clicks are converting to the merchant much more readily. I'm starting to get an idea of this.

It's really about displaying your ad only when you have what somebody is searching for. It's very much like standard SEO, you need to focus on the product category, and name. A combination of these elements in a PPC campaign seems to be the way to go. While I won't do thousands of keywords just yet, I'm starting to work my way into the hundreds and it seems much more valuable.

- Scott

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Catwoman:
    The only thing I really HATE about PPC is that you have to watch your bids every day to make sure you're not bidding too much.

As advertisers run out of money below you, you could be bidding 15 cents when the next person right below you is at 6 cents. So each click you get costs you 8 cents you shouldn't have to pay. That's more than double. And it DOES happen! Some PPC email you about it, while with others you have to figure it out on your own. It's EXTREMELY time consuming!
    Catwoman <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are certain tools like Go Toast, Bid Rank, and others that can help you manage all your bids, and make sure you are not overbidding on keywords and phrases. This style of software will let you cap bids, try for certain positions, and has frequency variables as well.

Test cheap, then build out.

I have been doing pay per click for 2 months via overture, have found a way to invest $100 and get back $600, thats good conversion!

Going for general keywords is retarded unless you have tons of money to waste..

Here is a hint!, ask your merchant what sells! ( thats all im saying)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snib:
    I haven't seen too many discussions on using PPC, so I thought I'd start one here. I haven't really used PPC too much to this point, but I'm getting curious and have begun running a few campaigns. I'm finding that the more specific I am with my keywords, the better off I am.

It seems the more general phrases are a waste of money because half the time when somebody's searching for something specific I don't have it. I started to notice that a lot of people were finding me under phrases that won't make me money at all.

This got me to thinking and I decided to remove all my general keyword phrases and start from the most specific possible, my product names. Of course the product names need a lot of work to generate traffic so I need to sit down and go through them with a fine-toothed comb adding keywords and removing unncessary wording.

What strategies have you discovered in your PPC experiences? What have you learned to do and not to do? It's definitely not as easy as it seems so maybe I can get a little insight into your methods.

Thank you!
    - Scott <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread