Just wondering if anyone has been here before and has any suggestions.

In the real world, a prime reason why companies go to the wall is because they are over-reliant on one customer, and then something changes and the sales from that customer dry up
    e.g. the customer goes bust, has a new ceo etc

Now my web sales have been gradually increasing over the last two years and whilst I am not yet in the super-affiliate bracket at 10kusd a month, this is now looking like an achievable target over a 24 month time period if I can maintain growth rates.

However my sales are heavily skewed towards one product area.
    I know I can replicate this success elsewhere as a new site I put up last summer in the same product area is now growing nicely. I have got different two suppliers so at least that is diversified.

However I am struggling to replicate the success into other areas.

I can't devote 100% of my time to affiliate marketing yet as I still need to earn top-up income from web site design and seo work, and possibly a software product of my own that I have developed last year.

One thought is to try and draw up mini-business plan as that at least will concentrate my mind a bit better.

ANyone else got stuck in a rut before and managed to break out and throw up any suggestions ? Alternatively should I just concentrate on growing what I now know works ?

Les

Diversification is very important. You don't necessarily have to diversify your product area, though. It depends on how stable the product area is and if it’s affected by trends, etc. If it’s solid, just continue to add more suppliers/customers. Any customer that goes bust on you, just divert that traffic onto the next and so on.

Hope that helps and good luck.

--------------
    Randy Carey, Affiliate Manager
    http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale...erchantID=5302
    Norcrossmarine.com

ABW Ambassador
    Stick to products that are always going to be in demand. You will make a quick buck here and there promoting products that come and go, but you should stick to a mainstream product for your regular income.
    Look at your local Walmart. Do they stock the same products all the time? They stock the products that they know will sell regularly, and then they rotate the other products that may not sell all the time. Things come and go. Last years 'must have' toy might not be sold again this year, but Barbie is always there.

You could probably make a living selling books, because people are always going to buy books.

Choose a product that you can sell, but can switch suppliers if one goes belly-up

Affiliate Manager
    I usually try to diversify my industries as much as possible. This is hard to do, or better said, it's more work to do because I always have to learn some new stuff about the new industry that I want to get into, but I think that it's worth it because this way, I don't rely on only one merchant, or one website.
    But, also, when I made some decent cash of affiliate marketing, I will invest the money in areas totally unrelated to the internet and websites.
    Thomas Burgemeister - Affiliate Manager
    affiliates@LensWorld.com - 425-372-3471
    LensWorld.com: 10% commission, 120 return days, parasite free - Sign up at <a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=20626">ShareASale</a>.

websmith-

This idea may be from left field, but hey, why not. Whatever your subject matter is that you're selling well in, write your own ebook on the subject. Sell it for $15-79 USD, then once you get some experience under your belt, create your own affiliate program for others to sell the book itself.

I'm just saying...

Thanks everyone.

I will go away and ponder.

In fact, after starting this thread, it sort of fired me up and I spent this morning revamping the Mondera site which I put up in January. Google indexed it very quickly but that hasn't translated into much traffic and I had left it well alone till now to let the dust settle.

So maybe I can get that off the ground in the coming months, by applying a bit more tlc.

Meanwhile I suppose I really ought get my software product ready for a relaunch and this time round put some effort into affiliate sales.
    I didn't want to do that originally as it usually best to get for a quiet software product launch to iron out the inevitable glitches.

The strange thing is that it was Amazon book sales that got me going on the affiliate front initially back in '99, but my Amazon sales have virtually stopped now. That is probably more of a comment on Amazon as personally I now rarely buy books there but compare prices online first, as it seems for technical books these days Amazon is rarely competitive .

Les

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread