Microsite / Sub-affiliate question
    I am working on an application that will allow clients to create microsite version of one of my sites and display my content on their site using an IFRAME. The microsite will contain some CJ links and the client that uses the microsite will get a cut of the commission. I am assuming this is considered a sub-affiliate network. I am wondering what the rules are on CJ (and Linkshare, GAN and ShareASale if you know). All of the sites that use the microsite will be approved by me (and most of them are non-profit orgs). Does CJ allow this without adding each site to my account with a new PID? Anybody know the rules?

From CJ's TOS:

Locations. You may not place Links to an Advertiser's Web site or Web site content in third party newsgroups, message boards, blogs, unsolicited email and other types of spam, link farms, counters, chatrooms, or guestbooks. Publishers using IRC channels, instant messages or similar Internet resources must designate their program as special requiring manual review and acceptance by the Advertiser.

That TOS is talking about posting your links in forums,etc.. more along the lines of spamming. I am talking about other websites that agree to use my content and do so by including it in an IFRAME. These sites do not have the time and resources to join an affiliate network and create the content and advertisements themselves, so they use my content and access to the affiliate networks and we split the revenue. Similar to how Adsense works if you want to think about it like that.

There are several third-party providers who do things like that. Take a look at how PopShops and GoldenCAN work for some ideas.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by phreak$how
    That TOS is talking about posting your links in forums,etc.. more along the lines of spamming. I am talking about other websites that agree to use my content and do so by including it in an IFRAME. These sites do not have the time and resources to join an affiliate network and create the content and advertisements themselves, so they use my content and access to the affiliate networks and we split the revenue. Similar to how Adsense works if you want to think about it like that.
    And... If the SE's happen to read those IFRAME content... then there goes your original site content down the toilet, because of the duplicate penalty rule.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    There are several third-party providers who do things like that. Take a look at how PopShops and GoldenCAN work for some ideas.
    It is my understanding that you need an affiliate account to use PopShops & GoldenCan. The websites that would be using my syndicated content do not have an affiliate account. The revenue would go into my affiliate accounts and i would pay the website owner a percentage. The whole purpose of this is so the website owner does not have to manage an affiliate account.

Not really worried about the duplicate penalty, because the iframe content coming is from domain. The SEs can see that it is my content. It will probably help me from an SEO standpoint.

http and a telephoto
    Affiliate links in Iframes are not allowed by some networks and not allowed by *many* merchants and a lot of the time will not track.

Sub affiliate networks are not allowed by many merchants, especially those on manual approval that want to know where there content is going. Although it sounds like you are attempting an altruistic application, you are using methods that are easy to exploit and use for not so good purposes.

Also, the CJ TOS does mean "any site that isn't yours", not limited to forums or spammy uses.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

http and a telephoto
    Iframes aren't read by SE's, not sure how that would help your seo? I think you need to rethink this in a different way.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread