Amazon drops referral rates for deals & coupon sites
    Has anyone here who operates a 'deals & coupons' site receive a new amendment from Amazon suggesting a new performance fee structure of .25% to 1%?

ABW Ambassador
    This seems odd for a few reasons.

On the Amazon board you said a couple of months back you received an email on this. I figured you would have posted something back then asking about it.

You're the only person I know that has mentioned this.

And I don't buy a .25% (1/4 of 1%) commission for anything.

Post a link or copy and paste the email you received.

Hey Trust,

I didn't post here or explored a couple of months ago since it appeared then it was a mandatory policy that they recently enacted by Amazon.com. As the Holiday season sales began becoming more aggressive, I became suspicious and confirmed with them again that this is indeed their policy for sites considered 'deals & coupons'.

I'd be more comfortable emailing you the email rather than posting if that's OK. I'd like to hear if ANYONE else out there received this email from them and now has a .25% / 1% for the referral fees.

Note: I attempted to switch back to the normal performance fee structure and they said they would close my account! Since then, I am having a legal council review all their operating agreement(s).

Amazon did something like this a little over a year ago. At that time they were putting some coupon sites into a special program where there was a "reduced" set of products that could be promoted. They also did not allow you to login and check your stats, rather they would send you a commission report at the end of the month.

It sounds as though they have got more sophisticated in handling deal and coupon sites and instead of building of list of permissible products, they instead reduce the commissions. That would explain this post:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=117892
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

That's correct. Prior to this new commission structure, they were only paying specfic ASINs. Then, they decided that handling it was too difficult and felt that offering a reduced commission was more feasible. Of course, we have no choice as a deals & coupon site.

I suppose we're basically screwed.

We've got that same set of new rules. It SUCKS big time. Here is an email we received today about it for any who doubt. This email adds video game products to our lowest commission rate.

"Dear Associate,

Effective January 1, 2010, your referral rate for Video Games products will change to 0.25%. No further action on your part is required to accept this change. Per the terms of your agreement with us, your continued participation in the Associates program will constitute binding acceptance of the new referral rate. If you do not wish to accept this fee modification you must terminate your Associates relationship with us.

You will continue to earn 1.00% for Video Games products that are shipped prior to January 1st. Your revised referral rates as of January 1, 2010 are:

Category Rate 0.25%
    Consumer Electronics
    Video Games
    Beauty
    Gourmet
    Grocery

All other categories 1.00%

Thank you for your continued participation in the Amazon Associates Program.
    Best regards,
    Amazon Associates Team"

Basically, if they find you to be one of their special sites you have no choice but to bend over and say "Thank you sir, may I have another?"

Got that today too! We need more affiliates under the "deals & coupon" category to complain. I will be drafting a detailed email (based on what our legal team reviews) complaining about this ridiculous fees.

The more people speak out about this, the better chances we'll get into Amazon's head that they are not hurting the small businesses out there but themselves, too.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher
    We've got that same set of new rules. It SUCKS big time. Here is an email we received today about it for any who doubt. This email adds video game products to our lowest commission rate.

"Dear Associate,

Effective January 1, 2010, your referral rate for Video Games products will change to 0.25%. No further action on your part is required to accept this change. Per the terms of your agreement with us, your continued participation in the Associates program will constitute binding acceptance of the new referral rate. If you do not wish to accept this fee modification you must terminate your Associates relationship with us.

You will continue to earn 1.00% for Video Games products that are shipped prior to January 1st. Your revised referral rates as of January 1, 2010 are:

Category Rate 0.25%
    Consumer Electronics
    Video Games
    Beauty
    Gourmet
    Grocery

All other categories 1.00%

Thank you for your continued participation in the Amazon Associates Program.
    Best regards,
    Amazon Associates Team"

Basically, if they find you to be one of their special sites you have no choice but to bend over and say "Thank you sir, may I have another?"

amazon drops best referral rates for deals.
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; June 8th, 2010 at 12:16 AM. Reason: removed image link

I remember when Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Staples were my top three programs, lol. My, how times have changed.

Can I earn commission if the amazon link with my tag id was posted on other sites?
    If the Amazon link with my site tag id is posted on other sites such as forums, will I get commission?

My coupon site is still getting 4%+ commission. Why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by talentcn View Post
    My coupon site is still getting 4%+ commission. Why is that?
    Because they have not yet identified it as a coupon site.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

If they drop the rate to 1%/0.25%, there is really no point promoting them. What have happened to those big deal and coupon sites such as FW and SD? Are you also sucking the 1%/0.25% rate? If it happens to you, I guess the only way you can do is to launch another site, apply for a new amazon account and drive traffic to the new site.

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by talentcn View Post
    If it happens to you, I guess the only way you can do is to launch another site, apply for a new amazon account and drive traffic to the new site.
    What about promoting the merchants directly that are offering the products instead of driving the traffic to amz?

Quote Originally Posted by coolman12 View Post
    Got that today too! We need more affiliates under the "deals & coupon" category to complain. I will be drafting a detailed email (based on what our legal team reviews) complaining about this ridiculous fees.

The more people speak out about this, the better chances we'll get into Amazon's head that they are not hurting the small businesses out there but themselves, too.
    Did you ever get an email sent? What happened?

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread