Affiliate Manager
    Free affiliate directories
    Hello everyone,
    I am looking for a list or at least a few places that offer free affiliate directory postings. We offer an affiliate program but I seem to be having some trouble getting the word out there. When we first launched the program we did not make it a requirement to have a website to post our banners on so we had a small group of people join the program and they had agreed to advertising using word of mouth and email's. Well I have to say I am not seeing any positive results from this particular group of people so we have taken away that option.

On the other hand I have a small group of affiliates that joined and they do have have web sites and they are delivering traffic and sales but of course we want more so I am reaching out to others (you guys) for websites that offer companies like ours an opportunity to post our program but I would like to hit up any free opportunities first. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Online Marketing Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken VPC
    Hello everyone,
    I am looking for a list or at least a few places that offer free affiliate directory postings. We offer an affiliate program but I seem to be having some trouble getting the word out there. When we first launched the program we did not make it a requirement to have a website to post our banners on so we had a small group of people join the program and they had agreed to advertising using word of mouth and email's. Well I have to say I am not seeing any positive results from this particular group of people so we have taken away that option.

On the other hand I have a small group of affiliates that joined and they do have have web sites and they are delivering traffic and sales but of course we want more so I am reaching out to others (you guys) for websites that offer companies like ours an opportunity to post our program but I would like to hit up any free opportunities first. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    No one is going to give you their lists for free. What are you doing besides relying on directories and sites for recruitment. Are you advertising, sending emails, making cold calls, etc... You cannot wait for Affiliates to come to you, you need to help them find you. As Haiko said a long time ago, when your program flat lines, that just means you need to start banging the drum even louder and getting your name out there again.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Affiliate Manager
    We are posting, collaborating and networking in many places. We have affiliates that are getting sales and that are working the business. Being that I was not familiar with this board and the community of users I wasn't sure if anyone or others had a few websites they normally share with others on a normal basis.

I have been on different boards where people are very outgoing and share everything and you never know what type of community you have unless you post and ask.

There's a big E-CIG forum that I go to where no one holds anything back, they share everything with everyone. They mention website names, company names how they feel about company "abc" products etc... it's not restricted so I wasn't sure what we had here.

We have submitted the program to a couple of directories that are going to be posting within the next 24 to 72 hours and yes we did pay for these listings. I will keep searching and networking.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Ken, this is a tough one as us successful ones have spent years building up reputation. I work with a team and have a forum here, several blogs, Twitter, Facebook fan page. We directly email 100's of affiliates a week and send several newsletters a week.

If you have a list of affiliates who have applied segment them into those who are sending traffic and those who are dormant. Those who are sending traffic, reach out to and offer top selling links, content and encouragement. Those that are dormant offer a first sale bonus.

One of the most effective things you can do is send a weekly email with links ready to use, if you can send it through the network with the links coded with the aff ID then it saves them time. They are more inclined to use it and some feel obligated.

Also, ask your network to send a list of the top affiliate in your category. Its in their interest to help you sell more as that is how they get paid. Your network rep should be your best resource and you should communicate often. Ask about opportunities to market through the network. Set up a follow-up/call funnel and work to develop a reputation with the top producers.

Do your research, there are many tools available to find sites with high traffic that can sell your products. Research your competitors, find their top affiliates then give them more than they are presently getting. This can include a higher commission, better communication, high converting merchant site.

There is a prevailing philosophy that I believe in, it takes seven points of contact before someone will have interest in what you are offering. Can't remember where I first read that. It can take 3-6 months to recruit a top affiliate especially if you don't have a national presence.

Affiliate Manager
    Excellent feedback thank you much.

http and a telephoto
    Back to the topic of affiliate directories, affiliates rarely use them. If people are looking for an affiliate program in a specific niche or for a specific product or vertical, they generally do a search at the networks they belong too, and use search engines to find them. Make sure your recruiting page is very SE friendly and you are showing up in network searches.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Online Marketing Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Back to the topic of affiliate directories, affiliates rarely use them. If people are looking for an affiliate program in a specific niche or for a specific product or vertical, they generally do a search at the networks they belong too, and use search engines to find them. Make sure your recruiting page is very SE friendly and you are showing up in network searches.

This is a good point. Also, make sure that if it is a do follow backlink you point to your Affiliate Sign Up Page and not to your homepage.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    I am looking for a list or at least a few places that offer free affiliate directory postings.
    I agree with Debbie, Affiliate directories are not as successful for recruiting as they once were. Many are not updated and like she said, I don't think that's how most affiliates search for programs any more. However if you have time, it doesn't hurt to be listed and sometimes your directory listing will show up in the search engines too.

So since you asked for a list of affiliate directories, here's the best one I know of.

Affiliate directories ranked by Google PR. Skip AffiliateTip because it's no longer a directory. Skip 5 Star because it's not an open directory. Skip AffiliatePrograms.com as it's a paid directory. Do the other 10 or so, again if you have time, but I would not expect a big surge of affiliates or anything.

I don't think anyone mentioned this yet, and I know you asked for free resources, but for a VERY reasonable fee you can advertise your affiliate program here at ABW and it's the biggest audience of active affiliates you'll find anywhere. Well worth the small fee it costs!
    See New Program Announcement.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Affiliate Manager
    I literally just read the exact same thing that is posted above on a message board somewhere else as well. Its great feedback and I welcome all the input everyone has.

Affiliate Manager
    Linda,
    Thanks for your feedback as well, we are going to take advantage of the "New Program Announcements" on this board and post in Jan 2010 in that section.

I won't rule out paid announcement boards I just need to be a bit careful with the business budget, I am reaching out to everyone to see where I can get a real bang for my buck.

Linda,
    Thanks for your feedback as well, we are going to take advantage of the "New Program Announcements" on this board and post in Jan 2010 in that section.

I won't rule out paid announcement boards I just need to be a bit careful with the business budget, I am reaching out to everyone to see where I can get a real bang for my buck.
    Real "bang for your buck" is likely here. ABW has 60,000 members and, while many do not actively post, there are hundreds online here at any given time. I know that we received great results from our New Program Announcement a few weeks ago. When we expand (early next year with a topic-specific site) I will certainly use another "announcement" here to kick it off.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Affiliate Manager
    Sounds excellent! As of right now that is the plan for Jan 2010.
    "New Program Announcements" Yeah!

I am heading over to the affiliate summit website as for I think I am going to register for Affiliate Summit that is coming in January. I live in Las Vegas and I see the summit is going to be here so it looks like a fantastic opportunity.

Thanks again everyone.

Sounds excellent! As of right now that is the plan for Jan 2010.
    "New Program Announcements" Yeah!

I am heading over to the affiliate summit website as for I think I am going to register for Affiliate Summit that is coming in January. I live in Las Vegas and I see the summit is going to be here so it looks like a fantastic opportunity.

Thanks again everyone.
    Since you live in Vegas you almost "have to" attend. Make sure you visit the Affiliate Summit Forum right here first - to pick up a discount code.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

Affiliate Manager
    Will do, I have been on the site for about 30 minutes checking everything out. Thanks for the discount code.

Will do, I have been on the site for about 30 minutes checking everything out. Thanks for the discount code.
    You're welcome. I didn't know if you've been here long enough yet to have found that Forum. Everything seems to start with the "Meet Market" on Sunday at noon. We'll have a table there in "ShareASale Square." Stop by and say Hi.

http and a telephoto
    Ken, definitely be sure to hook up with some of us at Affiliate Summit. Email me and lets be sure to have a chat. I think your product is very interesting!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I've moved this to one of the affiliate manager forums. You'll find quite a bit of useful tips for merchants here.

Questions similar to yours come up quite often. Here's one of the more recent and more helpful threads:

Recruitment Strategies for In-house Affiliate Programs

I have a post in that thread where I share the most common places I've found affiliate programs that I work with.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Affiliate directories are step 10 of your 10 step launch plan, do it when time permits. If you have an affiliate program page it can help drive some backlinks to improve ranking. As mentioned it primarily drives newbie affiliates. I would put a bigger emphasis on a blog, Twitter, Facebook fan page. Of course after some effective advertising here.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread