Affiliate Summit West 2010 - Should I Go?
    As someone that is new to the affiliate world, would making the trip to the Affiliate Summit be worth the investment?
    I think just being able to experience the atmosphere and meeting some successful affiliates would be a great boost of confidence.
    Would like to hear from first timers and vets alike.

http and a telephoto
    Funny you should ask. In addition to reading all the other threads here that will tell you why you should go, we did a podcast about networking recently, and will be posting another later today about the benefits you may not think about when you network both here and in person.

And you should be able to see the ABW code to save you some money right at the top of this forum.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Its definitley worth going to. You will learn alot. As far as meeting succeesful affiliates??? I would not get your hopes up. The successful ones don't need to be there and the ones that are don't actually do affiliate marketing anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by IOWNIE
    Its definitley worth going to. You will learn alot. As far as meeting succeesful affiliates??? I would not get your hopes up. The successful ones don't need to be there and the ones that are don't actually do affiliate marketing anymore.
    I probably should have said: meeting other people in the business.
    From where I'm at right now, anyone with a website is more successful than i am.

http and a telephoto
    There are plenty of very successful affiliates, merchants and other industry people at Affiliate Summit. If you are going there to learn and to meet people in the industry, it is the best event to go to. There are a lot of other newcomers to the industry that will be there as well, so you won't feel alone
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by IOWNIE
    I'm not sure where you get that idea. Why would affiliates go if they don't do affiliate marketing anymore? I'll be there and I'm a successful affiliate. A few more months and I'll mark my 10th year of doing affiliate marketing full time.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I take back what I said......being that he clarified anyone with a web site is his definition of succes - he is sure to meet THOUDSANDS!

My point was....as a newby walking in to this business, as I was a few years back, I went to the Affiliate Summit thinking just as he did.....I would go and meet a whole bunch of successful affiliate marketers. My problem was I never DEFINED success. I met tones of nice people ( including you Micahel ) but MOST of the people I met were not making over $100,000 a year in affiliate marketing. Most of the people who were there doing that like the keynote speakers and such had businesses related to internet marketing but not actual affiliate marketers.

Just my point of view.

As I stated from the beginning......yes, he should go....he will learn ALOT!

Affiliate Manager
    I am fairly new to affiliate marketing and I just learned a few days ago the Affiliate Summit is in Vegas. The good news is our business is in Vegas so it looks like a win, win situation here, they can count on me showing up!

If you are serious about being in affiliate marketing and you can arrange to attend Affiliate Summit, by all means do so.

@IOWNIE - We first met at Summit in Vegas (I believe two years ago). And while I am not nearly as successful as many people there, I do fit your "criteria."

As Michael suggested, many of the attendees are successful at affiliate marketing. I have no other business now (formerly was a teacher) and I have had two commercial sites online for over ten years. My first "real" affiliate sale was in March of 2000 - so, like Michael, I am almost at the ten year anniversary of being an affiliate marketer.

Some of the affiliates who have joined our new program will be there. There are some interesting "stories" about a few of them - and some are quite successful. We also have many affiliates who are part-timers. But that is fine, that's the way I began (many others, too).

We will have a table at the Meet Market on Sunday. Stop by and say hello. You will also be able to find Michael somewhere to say, "Hi" to him - looks just like his avatar (except that he'll be wearing a blue shirt at Summit).
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I should also point out that just meeting successful affiliate marketers won't make you successful. This business doesn't work through osmosis. It takes good ideas and hard work to succeed for most.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by <JC>
    As someone that is new to the affiliate world, would making the trip to the Affiliate Summit be worth the investment?
    You've received great comments so far.

Only you can do the real cost/benefit analysis for yourself.
    How far would you have to travel to Affiliate Summit West?
    That is a consideration. Accommodations? Meals? Transportation?
    What type of pass would you/could you afford to buy?
    What are you hoping to get out of the experience?

I attended the Affiliate Summit East in August at the Hilton in NYC. I was lucky to get a "Silver Pass" which enabled me to attend the "Meet Market." There is a possibility to get a pass for free for a summit. You need to see if vendors or Affiliate Summit itself are giving out passes. Often there are contests; it might be too late now for [a free pass to] the Summit West [I don't know] but look out for possibilities in the future [i.e. contests are listed on Blogs, Twitter, Facebook, the Affiliate Summit blog itself, ABW, others probably exist that I do not know of].

The different passes are priced according to what they include. I don't hear well so a pass that includes lectures that I might have difficulty hearing wouldn't be worth it to me. I like a pass that enables me to talk with people one-on-one.

I enjoyed meeting many people who participate at ABW at the summer summit [August @ the Hilton in NYC]. It only cost me a commuter's train fair as I live very close to NYC.

I won't be going to the Affiliate Summit West but I hear that it's a great opportunity if you choose to go

The great thing about Affiliate Summits is that these events are focused on affiliates.
    There are other events that complement the webmaster's/affiliate's understanding. I try to highlight the ones in NYC in the Affiliate Marketing News & Events sub forum here:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=433
    The events I usually list have free "Exhibit Halls" that are free upon registration [prior to the event].
    Last edited by Rhia7; December 20th, 2009 at 11:31 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Yes, thanks everyone, many great commits so far.

Listening to Loxly's podcast says a lot of why I would like to be able go.

We learn so much from the influence of others around us.
    I would not be where I am now in my current career without the people I have worked with over the years.

Checking the numbers though I think 2010 west is not in my future.
    I could possibly make NYC.

Maybe Loxly could talk the new owners of ABW to put something on in their hometown of Cincinnati.
    I could almost walk down there.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by <JC>
    Maybe Loxly could talk the new owners of ABW to put something on in their hometown of Cincinnati.
    I could almost walk down there.
    ABW isn't directly involved with Affiliate Summit, they just support it and have their forum here Also, after every Summit Shawn and Missy send out a survey to ask where people would like the next one to be, and that helps determine the cities. ASW overwhelmingly garners votes for Vegas and after the first full one in NYC it seems people prefer there as well.

At one time they were discussion having regional events, I don't know if that is still in the works or not.

In the meantime, there are local groups you can try and find, just post a note in the Midnight Cafe looking for folks that might want to have a get together.
    Deborah Carney

Sorry about that. Just a little sarcastic humor.

I actually look forward to making the trip to Vegas and NYC sometime.
    That's part of the fun.

JC, if there are affiliates in your area, a group meet might be a good idea.

I believe that there were a couple of Upstate NY meetings [people who lived in Albany & beyond] and from what I read here those meetings were a success

Hey you never know
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Has anyone looked into the Affiliate Summit Mentor Program? It seems to good to be true for a newbie like us
    Mary Joyce
    Affiliate Manager for GregRobert Pet Supplies
    [URL=http://www.GRpet.com]www.GRpet.com [/URL]

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread