So I started a blog...
    Yup, just to test the waters I made an investing blog, focusing on picks and advice for newbies. It's been up for a few days, has about 3 posts, and is hosted by blog.com. I've added a few affiliate links in the text of posts, but nothing major. When I search for the site, it does not appear anywhere on the top 20 pages. Should I give it more time and continue posting, or should I start a new blog with blogger, which I'm more familiar with?

I'm so new at this that it hurts, but I'm picking up some knowledge along the way as I get working on this blog. I've realized that the topic I'm choosing to write on is highly saturated, which certainly isn't going to do me any good!

Hi wireandy,

Put in more posts, making sure that they have high quality and are highly relevant to your blog's topic. It takes more than just three posts to be ranked on search engines.
    You may also want to host your blog on your own hosting server as you will then have more control of what you can put on your blog and you will be able to optimize it for search engines by putting in the appropriate meta tags for correct on-page SEO.
    After doing the correct on-page SEO, you will also want to do off-page SEO.
    Hope that helps

http and a telephoto
    It's too new to tell, and it would be easier if we concentrated all the feedback you are asking for in one thread instead of spreading it across several
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Sorry about that, I'll try to stick to my main thread. I'm just scrambling to get myself organized!

http and a telephoto
    We all understand *that*.
    Deborah Carney

Affiliate Manager yourphotooncanvas's Avatar
    Yep, search engines aren't instant. It can take weeks to get indexed, especially if no other websites link to you.

Focus on writing good content, and pick a few keywords to optimize around for each posts. But definitely don't write just for the sake of search engines!

You said your topic is highly saturated. Find other blogs that have similar topics and ask them to link to you (of course, offer a link back to them). Since it is a popular topic, there should be a lot of blogs out there focusing on it. Hence, there's a lot of potential links! And if you write good content, people will link to it naturally.

Keep posting, be patient, and get links. I'm not some super expert guru at blogging, but those are my tips

http and a telephoto
    Be careful with reciprocal links, the SEs prefer one ways...
    Deborah Carney

Affiliate Manager yourphotooncanvas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Be careful with reciprocal links, the SEs prefer one ways...
    Along that note, some links are worth more than others. Avoid websites that promote themselves in ways that seem unethical (blackhat SEO) or Google will view you poorly as well...a few won't hurt, but too many can kill you!

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread