Is it important to know web developing code like XHTML and CSS when starting out??
    Hey guys,

the title is pretty much what i want to know. I have read in places on this forum that learning CSS can save a lot of time. I have been running a blog for a few months now and am curious to know whether i should be spending some time learning this area. Or is it a case of when i actually come across the need for it in my expansion i should learn it??

Cheers

There are many people at ABW who are more knowledgeable about coding than I am but seeing that no one has attempted to give you an answer I'll give it a shot

I would say that CSS is more important than knowledge about XHTML [but it wouldn't hurt to know this]

CSS sets the look of your page[s]/site[s].

You can create an XHTML site with Dreamweaver by default and there are many template examples are XHTML by default. You might want to get a helpful book on XHTML, but I believe CSS is more important in the long run.

Your goals for your site also will be contributing factors in terms of which is more important etc...
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Thanks for the advice Rhia, i will do some light reading on both with more emphasis on CSS so that i am prepared when i need it

Maybe a different affiliate would be very "pro XHTML" for specific reasons.
    In the meantime, I thought these were 2 good articles about the topic:

What is XHTML good for?

HTML Goodies: XHTML

Do a Google/Search Engine search because there's lots on your topic[s]
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

In my opinion you don't have to be an expert, but knowing the basics would help you understand the conversation here. Why not get a basic tutorial like Gilson's and give it a weekend. You will be amazed at how much you know then. html first and then css. It really is a fairly easy language to learn.

Next get a hosting account and ftp up some learning example code. You might find it fun. Get a domain name and use it for your learning site. Don't worry about building a sales site. Just get a name to get you going. There are threads here about favorite hosts. Use one with a good reputation at ABW.

Affiliate Manager yourphotooncanvas's Avatar
    I absolutely agree that knowing the basics is very important. However, becoming really good at coding can take a long time, and some of us can never really master design skills.

I'd always suggest that you focus on what you're best at. If you are best at writing content for the blog, you might want to spend the money to hire an expert to deal with code and design. It's important to know enough to tinker, but for a major project I'd leave it to the experts.

If you have loyal blog readers, ask if any of them can help. More than once I've seen loyal blog followers step up to help less technical savvy administrators.

I still haven't figured out XHTML and CSS.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

You have to be careful with XHTML.
    Proper XHTML should be sent with an application/xml+xhtml mime type header (opposed to text/html). This will cause problems for Internet Explorer users.

Proper XHTML you must use a cdata block for most inline javascript, html comments won't work. That's not an issue if you keep all your javascript in external files, but many don't. Using a cdata block though can cause issues for some older browsers.

Proper XHTML you really should code your site using the UTF8 character encoding. That means you need to make sure your text editor is UTF8 compliant.

If you want to do XHTML you can, I wrote a DOMDocument based php class that will send valid XHTML to clients that advertise their ability to handle XHTML and valid HTML to everyone else, it is the class I use for all my content, but if you are just starting out you probably want to stick to HTML 4.1 (or HTML 5 if you want the new tags).

Some blogging software constructs XHTML and sends it with a text/html header and it seems to work just fine as long as it doesn't try to use XML only features (like namespaces, such as MathML for pretty math equations), but I believe it technically isn't correct.

Oh - another gotcha with XHTML - HTML defines many entities (like © etc.) that are not defined in any of the standard XHTML DTD's - so if doing XHTML you should learn to use the numbered entities instead. Otherwise, the browser may when trying to display the content.

Hi All ,

I agree that we should focus on what we do best. At the same time, we must remember that we are affiliate marketers and not really web developers and designers. Knowing xhtml and css will surely help a lot but knowing how to optimize your pages for search engines and visitors alike should take precedence over writing code.
    And so, as a newbie, you do not really have to know how to write code at all. There are web design tools that allow you to make your pages exactly how you want them to be without your having to know how to write code.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread