Not happy about merchant names in description field
    I'm spending more and more time editing out merchant names from the product description field. Why do merchants feel it's necessary to add their name there when the data feed has a specific field for the merchant name?

For those of us who choose NOT to show merchant names, it means editing each description. For those who choose TO show merchant names, it means duplication with it showing twice for each product.

It doesn't make sense in either scenario.

Too bad there isn't a way to exclude certain words from appearing in the description.

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

I second that one! Another bugaboo I've noticed is some merchants adding "call for more information" to the description. Not on every item, but here and there.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on perspective) that is not a PopShops issue. That is what the merchants (misguided as some of them may be) have put into their feeds.

I can't imagine doing that to our affiliates. But, then again, we are trying to build our program based on experience(s) we had as affiliates.

Some merchants and even some AMs just do not know. It might be a good idea to contact the merchant and/or AM involved and express your concern. Don't chastise them, just tell them why it is not good for affiliates to display that info.

Our feed still has errors, but we are working to find and correct them - and we appreciate contact from those affiliates using our datafeed.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on perspective) that is not a PopShops issue. That is what the merchants (misguided as some of them may be) have put into their feeds.

Some merchants and even some AMs just do not know. It might be a good idea to contact the merchant and/or AM involved and express your concern. Don't chastise them, just tell them why it is not good for affiliates to display that info.
    Yes, I realize it's not a PopShops issue, perhaps this should be posted in the ABW datafeed section instead. And yes, I have contacted the merchant's AM and explained that SAS can provide a way to track phone sales. I was told that they do track phone sales (ummmm...based on trust, lol!). So I decided to only feature merchandise that isn't likely to lead a reader to where they may need to call. They have items I can't find elsewhere...just had to make a tactical adjustment. C'est la vie!
    Renée

Quote Originally Posted by joyaz
    I'm spending more and more time editing out merchant names from the product description field. Why do merchants feel it's necessary to add their name there when the data feed has a specific field for the merchant name?
    As the datafeeds are generic and not created specifically for PopShops, I think these merchants are trying to build their brand—although it's probably ill-advised to do it this way.
    Renée

No less annoying are merchants that include a watermark, logo or name on every image. When a single merchant in a category does it, it just looks dumb. When you have multiple merchants do it, it looks like Times Square in December.

Perhaps we should start a merchants best practices thread for datafeeds because this really isn't a Popshops issue either.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

For those of us who choose NOT to show merchant names, it means editing each description. For those who choose TO show merchant names, it means duplication with it showing twice for each product.
    If you're using the Enterprise version, simple fix: SEO rules.

But I agree, it's annoying to have to deal with it!

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt

Perhaps we should start a merchants best practices thread for datafeeds because this really isn't a Popshops issue either.

-rematt
    That would be a very good idea, and I think it would be a very active thread for quite a while
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by maregee
    If you're using the Enterprise version, simple fix: SEO rules. But I agree, it's annoying to have to deal with it!
    Da doh, thanx!!
    Renée

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    While we're griping about what merchants throw into their descriptions and feeds, it makes me crazy to have SKUs in the titles and/or descriptions of products. Who cares?! The customer doesn't need to know the SKU. Also, ditto on merchant name in description and/or title. I delete them and the SKU once on my site. And the watermarks on images ... grrrrrr!

This thread is serving well for merchant best practices input at the moment. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I also hate seeing "ONLY 79 LEFT!" in the description. Like every page is a fire sale. Looks cheap. But after a while I get tired of editing out so much.

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

actually this can be of help.You might have traffic which are supposed to go to the merchant diverted to you.

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    While we're griping about what merchants throw into their descriptions and feeds, it makes me crazy to have SKUs in the titles and/or descriptions of products. Who cares?! The customer doesn't need to know the SKU. Also, ditto on merchant name in description and/or title. I delete them and the SKU once on my site. And the watermarks on images ... grrrrrr!

This thread is serving well for merchant best practices input at the moment. :-)
    Even worse is the practice of having a separate data feed record for every single SKU, leading to multiple identical results for a search. Over 40 identical blouses came back for one of my shop's predefined searches, until I was forced to remove that merchant from that particular shop. Autofeed returns items we won't have had the opportunity to edit.

The thread here is good, but a separate best practices section would be great.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfern
    Even worse is the practice of having a separate data feed record for every single SKU, leading to multiple identical results for a search. Over 40 identical blouses came back for one of my shop's predefined searches, until I was forced to remove that merchant from that particular shop. Autofeed returns items we won't have had the opportunity to edit.
    Oh that's another of my pet peeves! LOL - I end up using a different merchant so I can just grab the products once, without having to sift through all the dupes.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfern
    The thread here is good, but a separate best practices section would be great.
    Agreed.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread