should i hire freelance affiliates?
    I posted a project on a freelance site, and what i wanted freelancers to do was sell hosting packages from host-gator. A complete sign up would be around 10 dollars, so i give them a 10$ gift-card. The affiliate specifically asked me If i could pay for sign ups/how much... i said i would buy the hosting for the referral and he agreed. I completed one sell from him which wasn't much but i think he should of been able to get me more than one sell if i was actually buying the host for the client.

I wanted to make money from affiliate marketing while i was still learning it.. thats why I decided to hire an affiliate in the first place.. but this took to much work and it would of been easier to do it my self

Dont follow you on this, Is it just me?

ABW Ambassador

Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    i'm confused too. It might just be me, but i've never heard of "freelance affiliates". If you are wanting to get people to promote a hosting product for you, that basically makes you a "merchant". If you yourself are an affiliate of a merchant (i.e hostgator) and you are trying to find people to help get you more click thrus and sales, then I may be putting myself out there, but what exactly is in it for the "freelancer"? Anyone that understands affiliate marketing and capable of doing a great job for you would (should) just go sign up as an affiliate themselves and make the whole commission instead of the "share" you are willing to give them.

Just as a sidenote....have you ever tried to use gift cards to buy anything? Companies that hand out the "visa giftcards" and such I run from as they are a pain in the butt to redeem and many stores can't use them for partial purchases. You might want to rethink your offering.

There out there trust me.... go to getafreelancer.com site and post a project that requires an affiliate... like in the link-building or web promotion area.. the deal was for me to give the freelancer half of my commission.. plus a $250 advance... because you usually have to wait 90 days for payment, i got screwed in the end i should of had terms for w/e amount he sales, before this is all said and done i got my monthly 21 sales goal.. so technically i win

ABW Ambassador
    What an odd post

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    What an odd post
    werd -

Must be cryptic stuff that we are not advanced enough to comprehend eh?

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

People get freelancers to build TONS of things. I've seen people posting that they want a clone of my site and that they're willing to pay $100.

It sounds like the OP is having freelancers build affiliate sites, and he's sharing the commissions with them. It's not quite as confusing or cryptic as it sounds.

I think there's very little value to either party (or consumers). If the freelancer could build a good site, he would be an affiliate himself and wouldn't dream of designing a quality affiliate site for what is being offered. The person hiring the freelancer gets a sub-standard product.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

The person hiring the freelancer gets a sub-standard product.
    And heaven knows what the merchant gets...

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Ya this does not work in the end. Why would someone send traffic that converts to someone else who adds nothing to the equation?

There has to be a reason such as credit card processing, inventory holding, or something.

If it is just two tier affilaite program with the middle man taking less risks, gaining data, and taking a percentage of the sale this is not a long term process.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I just happened to read the HostGator terms at CJ the other day. They prohibit the use of sub-affiliates, which is almost what this sounds like. So no, it is probably a bad idea as any violation of merchant terms is.

Sub-Affiliates: Are publishers allowed to distribute their links to other affiliates in their own network? NO
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    I just happened to read the HostGator terms at CJ the other day. They prohibit the use of sub-affiliates, which is almost what this sounds like. So no, it is probably a bad idea as any violation of merchant terms is.

Sub-Affiliates: Are publishers allowed to distribute their links to other affiliates in their own network? NO
    They mean they can't use or log into my account... i see absolutely nothing wrong with having people help you get to your goal.. do you realize how many people probably do that anyway? I don't see why they would have a rule prohibiting me from hiring an affiliate for the job, because there's really no way they could find out if im having help.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by scott44
    They mean they can't use or log into my account... i see absolutely nothing wrong with having people help you get to your goal.. do you realize how many people probably do that anyway? I don't see why they would have a rule prohibiting me from hiring an affiliate for the job, because there's really no way they could find out if im having help.
    Thinking that they will not find out does not make it OK for you to do it. You are on shaky ground if you are looking for ways to circumvent any TOS

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I think if people are working on your site you are OK. If they are publishing your links on their sites, then not OK. To know for sure, explain what you propose to do to the merchant.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

there not publishing anything on their site..... i wouldn't even allow that regardless of TOS lol

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread