Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    2 more merchants emailed me today. The first one said that a site upgrade has resulting in my links not working, so I would need to go redo all my links for them.

The second one was a little kinder, stating that tonight their site would be switched around, so after midnight my links would not work.

Is it that hard to give people a couple weeks, or days notice? I don't keep hours of my time free just on the chance someone might call and tell me all my links are invalid: I have a life.

This is my pet peeve, the only saving grace being that they did not switch sites during Novemeber or DECEMBER like several other merchants did.

* end of rant *
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

I agree there elbowcreek, this bugs me more than anything probably.

At least they let you know I have some merchants who don't and I have to test the links and discover myself and guess how long they were turned off for. Sometimes you can do a search and replace, others it's a case of build them all manually again.

This doesn't sound too difficult to handle. I don't know if you guys use grep, but it's an excellent tool. I use wingrep to search and replace phrases in multiple files. So if a merchant changes to a new domain, you simply have to search and replace the domain name through your hundreds or thousands of files.

Could also do a search and replace through excel and regenerate your pages that way. Either way if it's not a major modification it's a cinch.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Seems like merchants switching things with less than 24 hours notice is bad biz at a minimum.

Even if it is easy to swith with wingrep (Snib, you have a link for that?). Switching things with such little notice seems a tad bait-n-switch. Seems to me likely that 85%+ of the smaller affiliates would ingnore the notice and keep pushing unmeasured traffic.

Sure thing, it's available at http://www.wingrep.com/
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Was it Walter Drake? If it was, they DID tell us a few weeks back.

But we STILL gotta' drop what we're doing and change all our links. Not really something I could have pre-done.

I don't receive my datafeed 'till saturday, so all those links are going nowhere 'till then!

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread