What backup software do you use?
    So I just upgraded to Windows 7, and it was a super easy thing to do. All my emails, files, programs etc where right there when I was done, after me putting it off for days worried I would lose everything.

That being said, one thing that doesn't work anymore (the only thing it seems) is my backup utility that automatically ran each morning, backing up to a external drive. It was "Packard Bells Auto Backup". So I'm looking for something that will work with W7, and see a few options out there. What is your favorite?

Perhaps W7 has a built in one that I don't see?

I use Data Deposit Box which backs up remotely. Others here use similar remote backups.

ABW Ambassador
    Something I was looking into as well, was just reading an older thread on it - http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...ight=carbonite

I got a Seagate FreeAgent Go just today and put my important stuff on it. With that one you can set it to backup everyday on it's own or whenever you want, I imagine you can do that with other external hard drives as well. And for online backup, the Seagate software had a link to http://www.carbonite.com/

Not sure if this was what you're looking for as far as Windows 7 backup - http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/0...ackup-overview

Since I posted, I updated the version of Packard Bell's auto backup and it works fine.

But I was also happy to see the W7 backup utility, which I also set up.

With two backups, what could possibly go wrong?

i just use a backup external drive, and store it at a bank deposit box

Quote Originally Posted by ToughTurkey
    With two backups, what could possibly go wrong?
    That depends on whether or not both backups are in the same location. What if your house burns down? What is someone breaks in and steals all your drives, computers and everything else? If you're not backing up to an offsite location, you're not backing up. I have no recommendations for a specific service, so I'm honestly not shilling for anyone... but ya gotta to offsite backups, it's the only way to be sure you're as safe as can be.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Could not agree with DMC - And I've run backup/disaster recovery for huge companies.

You need one set of backups for a local mistake that you make by deleting a file, etc. You need another one for huge disaster like scenarios. I use GoodSync - and it takes care of both. It can back up to a drive or an FTP location.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Point well taken about an off-site backup. I've bookmarked GS, it looks like a good option.

I need to correct my post above. What I meant to say was I could not agree with DMC MORE !!!
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

I wish I had your initials. Then I wish they did a movie on you and not Forrest Gump. Then people would have been screaming "RUN DMC. RUN DMC.".
    ---
    ---

http and a telephoto
    I tried to use Carbonite, it was going to take several months to back up my hard drive with them, and it slowed my computer down horribly. I know other people love it. I need to have multiple external drives with backups and then take them to Liz in Vegas

I also burn important stuff to DVD periodically. With several terabytes of digital images, it isn't easy to back up remotely
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I have a Time machine that also does the back up automatically locally but have not thought about backup in case of fire, flood, hurricane, etc.

Good point!

For the local backup, I run a Win program called "Karen's Replicator" and alternate it on 2-hour cycles between 2 external drives.

For the failsafe complete backup which includes a boot system on cd or sd card and a disk image on an external drive I use Macrium Reflect.

I use Time Machine, but I'm running a Mac.

I use Acronis True Image Home for automated backups and IDrive for remote backups. This came in handy when my hard drive failed but I found out one thing I hadn't thought about-my emails.

First off, I have one folder where I keep everything I create and cannot install again. This makes it easier to backup. The problem with my emails was they were backed up once each day. So, when the HD crashed I lost 24 hours of emails.

Now, my email file, that's also in my backup folder, is backed up every 2 hours and I set my Outlook to leave my emails on the server for 7 days. If I need a backup again, I hope I got it right this time
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

been there, done that, once bitten, twice shy!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    I use Data Deposit Box which backs up remotely. Others here use similar remote backups.
    Not me, I don't use online backups anymore. Remote backups are a must, like food you need remote backups to survive. But I found out the hard way that you can't always trust an online storage company. I was backing up my data online with Jungle Disk. Jungle Disk ran good for several months. It never caused any worry, I was pleased. It was sailing along fine. And then one day I lost the ability to to do backups and I couldn't access my stored data. A complete system meltdown. I collapsed and fell to the floor. A little later and after a lot of contemplation on the subject I went out and bought 2 external hard drives since I was now without Jungle Disk. Both EHD's are small, portable 500GB drives that are a little bigger than the size of a pack of cigarettes. I always keep one of them in a safe deposit box. I drag and drop every night. With the mouse I drag the My Documents folder (37GB's) and the Favorites folder (70MB's) that are stored on my C-drive and then I'll drop them into my EHD. I do that ritual just about every night. It takes about one hour for Windows to transfer the My Documents folder (37GB's) from my C-drive over to my EHD. The next day I might go to the bank to swap EHD's or I'll wait a day or two depending on how many files were created or altered. Repeat cycle a day or two later. Google was supposed to be coming out with a free online storage service, Gdrive. I'd use Gdrive if it ever comes out. But since Google has a bad track record in helping users resolve technical problems, I would never pick Gdrive to be my primary backup source, no way.

It's a major hassle going to the bank to deposit checks every few weeks, I can't imagine going every few days. Heck, I'd rather put it in a weather-proof box and bury it in the backyard nightly!
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    one other thing to consider when doing a backup is to make sure that you are not just overwriting the files from the last save. I had all of my websites hacked and we ended up having to go back almost a week to find a "clean" backup though there were several that were a few days fresher but were infected. Corrupt files are common and you want to make sure you're not backing up the same problem that may be the cause of having to restore from.

My husband actually works for an company that does "backup and recovery" on major scales (think for banks, hosting companies, major corporations, etc.) and it is amazing to hear the stories that happen when they "practice" restoring from backup. If your data is really that important, you should actually find a way to practise restoring from that backup to make sure that your methodology is actually working. They require their clients to actually reinact restores of their backups to ensure that they can get the data back that they "think" they backed up. it's not as simple as many think.

A good methodology is to do a monthly backup, then 1x a week, then a daily -- all on different media (not on same disc drive) so that you have a complete backup with redundency.

Hi All,

I simply use the back up utility built into my Windows OS and store the backup files on DVDs. I use a new DVD for every back up and I label the disk with the date when I made the back up.

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    I use Mozy for online backups. Time Machine and Crashplan on my mac. (I had a hard drive fail and then the back up drive fail a few weeks later so I'm ultra paranoid about data loss)

Crashplan is a nice backup solution. It works on Windows/Mac/Linux, you can back up to an external usb drive, another pc on your network or a pc at a location outside your own network (I have not tried this feature). They also offer backups online but I use Mozy for that.

All three do automatic backups daily.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread