I was spelunking around in my registry the other night when I spied a folder named BHO.

There are four entries in it, but they are all numbers and letters. Don't have a clue what they are, nor why they are there.

Three different applications show no virus. Adware is absent. What now?

Can (should) these entries be deleted?

Frank
    "Just the facts, Ma'am." Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

No there isn't a BHO that is good, if It has the capability of stealing your personal information

ABW Ambassador
    Yes. There is so much misinformation around here it isn't funny.

BHO's can perform any number of functions relating to both Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer.
    You can get them to block popups, add functions to your right click menus (auto register dll's, copy text and perform an auto search on any search engine, email current page), toolbars, auto show css styles and much more.

Of course there are those which are bad (deliver ads, auto redirect user, block access to sites etc), but there are also legitimate uses for BHO's.

ABW Ambassador
    Yes for sure. BHO means browser help objects. BHO and spyware/adware are not same. There are a lot of BHOs which are good. For example, Google toolbar.

I can't believe Mike didn't respond to this. Can't we count on anything anymore??
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

I use a BHO, and I love it!

Fred

Thanks for the good info. I really didn't know what to think. I'll leave them alone.

Does anyone have a suggestion of somewhere to go read up on the good ones?

Xman...give him time. He'll surely put in an appearance.

Frank
    "Just the facts, Ma'am." Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Hi Frank,

As Pete said there are many legitimate purposes for BHO's. Whatever you do, don't delete that BHO. It's supposed to be there as a registry key for your browser. It's never a good idea to delete anything out of your registry unless you are absolutely sure what you are deleting. And if you do, make a back up of the registry first just in case.

I don't know if there is a list of "good BHO's" per se. Good is in the eye of the beholder. I mean we all love our GoogleBar and many here would have severe withdrawls if it was taken away, yet almost all the spyware removal programs flag GoogleBar as spyware.

You can go to MS website and search their knowledge base for BHO. There is some good information there about exactly what a BHO is and what the intentions for it's use are.

You can also run Spybot S&D with the latest definitions and see if it shows up clean also along with Adaware. If both are showing clean, then I wouldn't be overly concerned about the entries.

Ms. B, you're right on target once again!

Like anything that's good or helpful to people, there are those from the dark side who will corrupt it to serve their own purposes, with no regard for the damage it will do.

Andy

Flash is a BHO also, for instance. If you want to know what a particular BHO might be, copy'n'paste the alphanumeric string into a Google search, and see what it says. Google will return results for the more common ones, good and bad, as well as informational sites related to the whole BHO / parasiteware issue

BHO's are just tools, neither good nor bad. It'#s what people do with them that counts

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread