I am wondering what you prefer to use for an affiliate program; a network or and inhouse solution?

a) From a merchants standpoint, what do you see as the pros and cons of each?

b) From an affiliates standpoint, what do you see as the pros and cons of each?

Do you have a clear cut bias?

Regards,
    Tom

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    A good merchant is a good merchant, regardless of whoever they use. Start with the ABW Trusted Merchants on the home page at abestweb.com . Also avoid those branded as allowing parasites in (see parasite forum).
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

http and a telephoto
    There are independant programs I like (they make me the most money so far actually) and there are networks that I am just getting up to speed with. Working with just banners and general text links to network programs hasn't been successful for me personally (others will say they work great for them). Working with datafeeds for certain merchants is starting to make a difference, the PSC helps, which are things you can have or do whether you are on a network or not.

The network advantage is usually combined payments and with one network, no parasites. But if you have a high converting program you should be able to recruit affiliates under either model and being an indy won't matter if your affiliates are making more than the minumum payout.

Remember, this is *one* person's opinion I am sure you will here many others. When I (hopefully sometime this year) start my own program I will go with SAS and advertise here on ABW. As a new merchant it seems like a smart way to get started.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Loxly, may I ask why you have chosen to go with SAS rather than an inhouse program? Also why did you select SAS specifically?

I am also curious why those who have already selected an inhouse or network solution to run their affiliate programs, the reason why you made the decision you did? If using a network is it the pool of affiliates already in place that was the main factor? If you could get many of the network benefits in an inhouse program would you have made a different decision?

I'd love to hear the thought process behind selecting an inhouse vs. network solution and why you ended up with the specific solution you chose.

Regards,
    Tom

http and a telephoto
    Sure, I'll share my thought process, such as it is

I would love to run an inhouse program, but I don't have staff. SAS will email me to put money in my account, will handle the checks, serving the links and banners, screen the affiliates, track the stats, figure out the commissions, do the legwork and paperwork, so to speak. If I were a large corporation and could afford to hire someone to do the accounting and management of the affiliates I would love to run an inhouse program.

I would still like to have an affiliate manager, but may manage the program myself for a short while.

I chose SAS because of the anti parasite stance, I don't have to worry that a parasite will slip into my program. Approval can be automatic for SAS affiliates or I can add a second layer of protection by manually approving affiliates. They already have a way for affiliates to access datafeeds, with more ease of use coming.

I also chose them for cost, the other networks cost more to join and more to maintain and it doesn't sound much like more bang for your buck, so to speak. I am comfortable working with the SAS interface as an affiliate, it should be easy to make the transition to merchant.

And of course, for the existing affiliate base. Although I will not depend on them to find me affiliates, having a program there should help with the initial "getting going". I plan to advertise here, and other places. There seem to be a lot of other people that are interested in the products I hope to offer, and it just seems that SAS is a good fit.

Bottom line is, it's just me, and the company that produces my products. So I needed to find a network that is small enough to help a new merchant and big enough to have an affiliate base to pull from.

All I really have to do now is set up my merchant site to offer my products, right now they are hosted on a third party site, that was going to offer an affiliate program, but I don't want to wait to see what they have to offer, and don't think it will be what the affiliates here want to sign up for.

I am hoping to launch for Q3 to set up for Q4, but don't know if I can pull it off. It may be running for Q4, but I don't know if many affiliates will sign up in Q4 with a new, unproven merchant when they are in the height of the selling season. So launch may be delayed until next year. I am not pushing it out the door until it is ready
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread