Exclamation Tracking revshare as an affiliate manager and contracts
    So I've found myself in an interesting situation. I am in discussions with someone who is selling a new clickbank product that is not your standard ghostwritten MAKE MONEY NOW garbage and I think the product has enough legs for me to agree to be his affiliate manager on a pure revshare arrangement.

My challenge though is finding an easy way to track this since CB does not provide any tools to either allow me to sign everybody up as a sub affiliate under myself or to give me access to reports without getting access to the main account. In situations where you have a revshare component what have you utilized to make sure you are getting the cut you deserve in terms of tracking numbers and handling payment?

Also, does anybody have any sample affiliate manager contracts they could provide? I have no idea how to hammer something like that out or what to ask for and need to make sure I have something in writing with him. Any advice you can offer would be most appreciated.

I'm not sure how you can be an affiliate manager without access to the affiliates or reports. An affiliate program manager needs to manage the affiliates but if you can't access CB you can't really manage. We've only done revshare when the merchant's sales warrant it. Your prospective client won't tell you sales or give you access? If this is the case, run away. If they only want to pay you for affiliates you recruit, then you're not really their affiliate manager. With this setup, you can't say you're the manager and but can only manage or help affiliates you recruit.

When I first got into this biz, I was told to stay away from revshare only arrangements when sales weren't there. Like a child and a hot stove I had to "touch" it myself. And, like this child I got burned big time.

To be the affiliate manager, you need access to affiliates. Plain and simple. To earn your revshare, you need access to sales. It sounds like you would have neither.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

http and a telephoto
    Greg hit the nail on the head. What you are describing is a two tier affiliate arrangement and not at all an affiliate managing relationship. I've actually been offered "deals" like that myself. They would only be good if you are a recruiter only and not a real manager. I won't recruit for a program unless I am the manager that has approval access and control over the program itself.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I might have been a bit unclear in my post. It would not be a regular 2-tier program. I would receive 10% from ALL affiliate earnings (and I could probably negotiate Amazon earnings too if I get him on there). I confirmed with CB that they do not have any sort of user access levels to provide me with just report/affiliate contact access so the only way I can really get that info is by gaining access to his actual account (which would give me the power to change where payment is sent to but I would never do that of course).

I guess he'll have to either accept giving me master access or nothing.

In response to the whole "no sales, no 100% revshare" thing, I definitely see your point on that. However, since I don't have any real experience as an actual affiliate manager I figure this is a low risk way of getting my feet wet since any movement of the sales bar will be seen as a direct result of my efforts.

That said, I'm faced with two real questions now:

1. Is 10% of all affiliate sales a fair and reasonable percentage when there are no sales/affiliates yet to speak of and his payout to affiliates of a $59 product is 40%? Or am I getting ripped off?
    2. Where can I find examples of contract language to use for an agreement with him and what sorts of things do I need to make sure are included in said contract?
    3. He has done no advertising to date (doesn't really know how since he is not that tech-savvy, just good at creating the product content) and thus there is no performance data available for PPC or conversions. The only thing he has really done is toss it on eBay for a much higher price and it actually sold 2 copies just sitting there. Should I insist he invest money in doing that before I join up to see if the product even sells? Either way, I feel like I'll need to hold his hand the entire time and I'm not sure what sort of percentage/fee that might be worth.

I appreciate all your help on this. Affiliate management is somewhat uncharted territory for me despite all my knowledge of affiliate and internet marketing in general.

http and a telephoto
    If Clickbank doesn't allow you to "manage" affiliates, then you really are a 2 tier recruiter. If you are consulting with him for his entire online advertising and affiliate marketing then you are a recruiter/consultant and should charge a fee accordingly. It's your time, your time is valuable and you need to charge what you feel is a reasonable amount. If you don't, you are devaluing your service and the services of others that do the same thing.

People here are trying to nicely tell you that you are approaching this in a way that your are setting yourself up to get burned.

I don't currently know of a repository for contracts, what you are proposing isn't going to have a "standard" contract. You would be looking for a consulting contract.

Are you going to Affiliate Summit in January? That would be a good place to talk to other managers/consultants and get their input in person on what would be a good way for you to proceed.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Clickbank does let you manage affiliates to a degree, my comment was more in regards to them not providing different levels of account access to allow someone to manage the affiliate side of things without gaining the ability to change the payment account for where all the payments are sent, which is a pretty big security issue.

I understand the general message that these sorts of approaches aren't good and I may consider asking for hourly consulting pay as well given everything I would be doing and the current state of the program. Unfortunately I just don't have the experience that many of you do so this is a way to get my foot in the door so to speak. I'll certainly make sure I have a way to remove myself from the relationship if there aren't any legs to it, I guess I was looking for some insight into what an appropriate percentage would be for people who do undertake revshare arrangements.

Unfortunately I will not be going to Aff Summit as finances do not currently permit it but I am staying active in the Chicago affiliate community and will be asking some folks there for their opinions as well.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread