New Domain Waiting on Inspiration
    I bought a name last night while half asleep. It could be a long time before I do anything with it if ever. What is the best thing to do with it until then? I hate to leave it with godaddy on their AdSense farm.

It doesn't have any redirect use for anything I'm doing now. I could open a cPanel account on my server, but I'm not sure what the point of that would be other than to remind me it was there and to do something with.

I'm starting to park my domains using Google Domain Parking.

I bought a domain for a person reason (a club I used to belong to) and have found that I've made about $10 off it in the past month. The nice thing is you get some insight into the number of hits you get on each site if you set them up as their own channel (in addition to your earnings).

However, it might be better to building a half-assed site so you can get some in the Google database and get some age on the domain for that content area...

http and a telephoto
    Put a one page of your own up, or a wordpress install with a static front page, with some content related to what the site will ultimately be about. At least then there will be something established so when you are ready to work on the site you have a base.

Your own "parked page" is going to be better than a parked page under someone else's control.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Yes, put "something" on that page so it can age. Bing seems to like older domains much more than G and is slower at indexing, so get it out there.
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

Quote Originally Posted by suzie250
    Yes, put "something" on that page so it can age. Bing seems to like older domains much more than G and is slower at indexing, so get it out there.
    +1 (Plus what iolaire and loxly suggested)

I've done that (all of the above, except I didn't use G to earn parking rev) quite often and it certainly helps (IMHO) when you do get around to launching that "real" site.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Thanks all. That was my first inclination to build a page, but wanted to see if there was something new I've missed.

Hi John,

Why not install wordpress on it so that you have a blog site and then use a service that will automatically post articles to your blog? That way, your site will have some content that's regularly updated without your having to work on it. There's a service called amautomation from which you can receive articles (topics will depend on the settings you select). This articles get automatically posted to your site.
    Hope that helps

There's a service called amautomation from which you can receive articles
    That's a new idea. I wonder if anyone has tried it.

Edit: Looks like you are plugging a service you promote. You could have been a little more open about that.

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    That's a new idea. I wonder if anyone has tried it.

Edit: Looks like you are plugging a service you promote. You could have been a little more open about that.
    Hmmm...having articles automatically posted to your site. Wouldn't that get you a bunch of duplicate content? Even if a service offers to "mix up" the content, there is only so much that can be done and still have it "sound" correct to a reader. And duplicate phrases/sentences would still be there.

By coincidence I had a lunch meeting yesterday with Rainmaker and a relatively new affiliate marketer. One of the things we discussed was the fact that there are no "real" shortcuts to developing good content that provides a unique service to an Internet visitor.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

One thing I do is just slap up a Wordpress installation, then make a post with a blurb containing a few keywords and a popshops. That way, when I get back to it.... eventually.... it's already got a little age on it and I make a very occasional sale in the meantime... if you get a site that garners a few more sales than the norm, you know to go back and slap that one together before some of the others on your list....

Hi John,

Amautomation is a service we recommend to the members of our website, for them to submit articles for distribution for a monthly fee. We do not really promote it as a service to get articles from because that's not where the money is , I mean, when you sign up to receive articles, you only need a free account
    Bill is right about the risk of duplicate content. But then you were looking for something just for the meantime, right?

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread