Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Best way to set up WordPress? Subdirectory or Subdomain?
    I'm getting ready to start a WordPress blog on one of my established sites, and was wondering what the best practice is for setting it up? Should it be:

1) blog.mysite.com
    2) www.mysite.com/blog
    3) integrated into www.mysite.com, not in a subdirectory

Thanks for helping this newbie (when it comes to WP)!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    I don't like subdomains since the SEs consider them to be separate websites from the main website.

If I want to set up a blog to supplement an existing website, I use a subdirectory. That helps it getting indexed sooner by google. Also as I add more content to the blog, it expands the content base of the entire site.

Number 2 gets my vote. Seems it's easier to track as any hits to /blog/ are blog related. If you ever want to get rid of it then you can tell Google to delete all /blog/ from their index and they will. Also if you need to you can restrict /blog/ with robots.txt or even password while developing.

You decision really needs to be based on what you want to accomplish with the blog.

#1 is good if you are wanting some link love to your established site. I don't worry much about sites getting index as G is pretty darn quick these days to do so.

#2 - Just a personal opinion, but I never liked the look of the word "blog" in a URL. It does nothing but dilute your keywords in the URL and places your pages/posts another slash away from the root. I try to keep my sites at a min of three - root / directory / file.

#3 - If you are ok with working with .htaccess, this would be ok. Sometimes it's a bit tricky to incorporate wordpress into an existing site and you may have to make some adjustments to your htaccess.
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

http and a telephoto
    I recommend #2 but not with the word "blog". It's an extension of your website and a way to manage content, so the name of the directory needs to reflect what that content will be.

I have taken existing sites and added wp to the root and left the existing html pages there but removed the index.html. That makes the new content get spidered from the home page links on the existing content and as you move that content to the blog/cms you can use a 301 to send the existing traffic to the content's new location.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I personally like #1 because it makes it really easy to move the blog of to another host by just changing your dns records.

I don't have a good reason to retain this option other than flexibility, but I guess you could argue that it would also make it harder for you to expose your core site to security issues from the blog site. i.e. un-upgraded Wordpress installs.

http and a telephoto
    Essentially #1 is the same as starting on a new site. If you want to harness existing traffic and spiderability #2 & 3 are the better ways to go.

If you think it will branch into it's own domain someday, then #1 is the way to go.
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    I moved the posts about having it on your own separate domain to this thread, which was already started on that particular topic:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=127882
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    Michael, here is a thread I just started on what to do when setting up your Wordpress install, if you will be using Wordpress

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=127890
    Deborah Carney

Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    Before i'd make a decision, i'd want to know how you were integrating the "blog" into your site. Is the blog the whole site? what else is happening on the site? (shopping cart?) etc. Many WP themes can make a blog a very integral part of your site and run it as more of a CMS rather than having the /blog issue. Many site owners content is techically "blog style" material, but written as content. Some simply use the category of "blog" to put more personal entries of their content and use the remainder of their categories as articles. So much to consider.

If you're looking to drive traffic to the rest of the site, definitely #2. I also agree with loxly, don't call the directory "blog". I am regretting my decision to do that on several of my sites and am trying to find a graceful way to change the directory name to something more appropriate and have all the old links redirect to the new.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

It's an existing affiliate site with several thousand pages. Some of the products have some interesting news from time to time, and I'd like to post blog entries about them. I'll probably include links to the most recent blog entries in a side column on the main site and links to relevant products in the blog entries.

So if "blog" isn't a good choice, what do you recommend? "news"? "articles"?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

News would be my choice. To me, articles are much longer and more indepth than news. News might only be a few lines while an article is a few hundred words.

Just my opinion.

John

Michael why don't you ask people while you are at Summit before you set anything in stone. I know I could give you some ideas.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

http and a telephoto
    I like "news" when you are sure it is going to be news, I also like "tips" if there are going to be tidbits that people can use about the products. News is pretty generic so you can pretty much put anything in there.
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    It's an existing affiliate site with several thousand pages. Some of the products have some interesting news from time to time, and I'd like to post blog entries about them. I'll probably include links to the most recent blog entries in a side column on the main site and links to relevant products in the blog entries.

I'm personally leaning toward "articles" on most of my wp sites.

But most of my wp sites -- I think all of them, really? -- are set up with wp in the root as the primary site. I make a point of trying to remember to call everything I write and "post" on those sites as "articles," rather than "posts" because I'm trying to get away from the blog/blogging mentality associated with the sites.

If you're only making the wp install part of the total site, you may have absolutely no issue with terms like "posts" and blogging -- even still, I would go for "news" or "tips" if I didn't use "articles."
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey

Michael, I too, wrestled with those choices a while back on one of my city sites. I first planned to use it only for local press releases (I'm on a mailing list for all official city press releases), but then realized I might do hotel and/or restaurant reviews - and put my own slant on some local "things to do." I then figured that (today) just about everyone knows what a "blog" is - so I use that in a directory, a'la - /blog/. I do post many of the press releases verbatim (as allowed). I am also getting some serious SE traffic into many of those releases - even the old ones.

PM on the way...
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Gary I would never use the word "articles". It would always be tips or news or a keyword that works. Using articles only invites your articles to be stolen.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    I went with site/blogs.....

Gets indexed in hours..

Hits the blog updates I need...

My problem is that I'm a doofus and don't keep up with it.

Still gets 1000's of hits a week.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Michael,

I have only played around with blogging but find #2 to be the best choice. I think you will pleasantly surprised how quickly your posts will be in Google's listings. As far as what to name the directory, I say just make it relevant to your main site. If your site is about socks, call it "sock_tips". If it's about sky diving, call it "sky_diving_tips".

...if it's about meat, call it "beef_tips"

Hey, Michael, I KNOW you've seen that on the menu before. Well, maybe not beef_tips, but "sirloin-tips" should do it, eh???

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Hey, Michael, I KNOW you've seen that on the menu before. Well, maybe not beef_tips, but "sirloin-tips" should do it, eh???
    Is that what they're called? I don't know much about these things.

here's an alternate idea: setup wordpress on a reviews domain and then rss the reviews to the appropriate product pages. this way you have wordpress running a whole site and you don't lose any indexing you have on the 1000's of product pages already.
    [URL]http://Essociate.com[/URL]

#1 - will give you some back links from your subdomain. Will not use up your resources on your back end if they are limited with queries, etc. Especially for large sites.

#2 - will give you more content for your established site. Works nicely if you have a site with lots of products and with a blog you can easily add content to compliment and add info to your site. The opposite of #1 where your resources will be from your main domain. Of course, I know that would not be an issue for you since you use a dedicated server, etc.

#3 - I would only do if you have a new site to start off with and not mess up pages that are already established.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Essociate
    here's an alternate idea: setup wordpress on a reviews domain and then rss the reviews to the appropriate product pages. this way you have wordpress running a whole site and you don't lose any indexing you have on the 1000's of product pages already.
    How on earth would adding a blog to an existing site make it lose indexing?
    Deborah Carney

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast