Moving a blog to Custom URL
    I have a free blog on wordpress which has good content but low traffic. I am wondering if it is a good idea to move it to a custom url before really starting to ramp up marketing on the site?

And is that very easy?

And is that even advisable?

Thanks

Rob

Manager - Affiliate Marketing Patrick Vesperman's Avatar
    why not just have it www.blog.com? I am a WP newbie myself - and very interested in this thread.

ABW Ambassador
    You mean a blog like www.yoursite.com

This will work if you are setting up a brand new site/blog.
    But if you already have a site and you want to add a blog to it, you will need to set it up in a subdomain or a subdirectory.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; December 30th, 2009 at 09:52 PM.

My personal opinion is to get your own domain. You have total control over it and no worries about moving it later after you've added tons of content.

Some aff merchants do not allow links placed on sites that you yourself do not control, that is also a very important point for me.
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

I wanted to add:

Patrick's question about placing it on it's own domain is pretty much the same as a sub-domain except for the way the address would look.
    Last edited by suzie250; December 30th, 2009 at 01:37 PM. Reason: forgot a word
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

Yes I do recommend a custom url and yes I do recommend doing this first. It is easy and inexpensive. I actually just did it myself for the first time...and if I can do it, ANYONE can...even this guy >

This is a great place to ask this - I recently registered a domain and mapped it to a wordpress.com blog for my personal blog. Would it be more beneficial to use wordpress.org and get a webhost for my blog? The only real difference I can see with using wp.org is the ability to edit the HTML and use plugins and such.

Patrick,

I'm a bit confused....

If you registered the domain, why are you not just installing wordpress on it?

http and a telephoto
    You can't use affiliate links on Wordpress.com. Moving a blog from Wordpress.com to your own hosted wordpress install is VERY easy.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thanks. Is there an easy way to alert the current traffic that the blog is moved?

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by pjvesperman
    This is a great place to ask this - I recently registered a domain and mapped it to a wordpress.com blog for my personal blog. Would it be more beneficial to use wordpress.org and get a webhost for my blog? The only real difference I can see with using wp.org is the ability to edit the HTML and use plugins and such.
    What do you plan to use the blog for? If you are going to be adding *any* advertising or product links, they are not allowed by Wordpress.com.

Like suzie said, why would you not host it yourself?

Some more info in this thread
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    Some more info in this thread about who owns your content.

About alerting people, since you don't have control over an htaccess file to redirect traffic, what I have done in the past is take the autogenerated navigation off and replaced it with navigation that has only links to the new site, and make a post that says "we've moved, join us at our new site" - with the link of course.
    Deborah Carney

Patrick = WP newbie = don't know what I am doing. I don't have a hosting yet..open to suggestions. It is currently just on WP.com.

BUT, I did just add IM as another way to contact me
    Last edited by Patrick Vesperman; December 30th, 2009 at 02:38 PM.

That makes perfect sense. I DL'd your podcast and will listen in the car.

Thx.

http and a telephoto
    For those of you on wordpress.com, there should be an option under tools to export your blog posts, comments and pages. It won't export your links from your blogroll.

Then when you install your new wordpress, you delete the default installed posts and import the xml file you created from your existing blog. In less than a minute all your posts will suddenly appear in the new blog
    Deborah Carney

Thanks Loxly and Suzie for your pms and help. I'll look into hosting options this weekend between after Christmas sales.

http and a telephoto
    Moved posts from another thread to here, since they were on this particular topic about having wordpress.com hosting vs your own hosting.

While PMs are ok for personal info, for info that everyone can benefit from I prefer to keep the discussion public, so other folks in the same situation can benefit from the answers.

Thanks Loxly - I was confusing myself! Plus I felt bad about directing the conversation away from Michael's topic.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by pjvesperman
    Thanks Loxly - I was confusing myself! Plus I felt bad about directing the conversation away from Michael's topic.
    That's why it's made easy to start new topics

When a thread goes off on a tangent, people coming in later can't find the information they are looking for. However in this case, there was already a thread on that same thing, so here you are.

Back to topic!

Wordpress.org has a LOT of video tutorials now about almost anything you want to do with Wordpress. Would be a good idea to check there for installation information on your particular hosts, once you pick one.

The hosting company I work with doesn't have one click installs, but they have great everything else, and there are people that will do the install and "clean it up" for a reasonable fee.
    Deborah Carney

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread