Affiliate Manager Ian H - TicketLiquidator's Avatar
    Viral Marketing
    Has anyone here ever tried any viral marketing, or is that a naive question?

I ask because I've been experimenting with it recently, but it seems that hitting the top of Digg (or even one of the really small networks) is virtually impossible.

I'm an affiliate manager but I'm also an affiliate myself and would love if someone could send me to a site where there is some good info on the real deal where viral marketing is concerned.

Thanks.
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Arial]Ian Hough.
    Affiliate Program Manager, TicketLiquidator.com.
    Contact: [email]ianh@ticketliquidator.com[/email][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Don't let your work go to waste. Sign up and get paid for all sales: [B]Onsales[/B], last-minute, etc.

http and a telephoto
    Viral marketing means you have something that people *want* to talk about and pass along to their friends. It isn't something you can "push a button" and do.

Viral marketing is a fancy term for Word Of Mouth marketing, which means at the end of the day you need to have a special something that people will recommend to others via all the social networks that people now use to spread "word of mouth" suggestions.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

there are some interesting case studies such as lolcats and fail blog. it seems like a killer combination is free content with your watermarked url.
    [URL]http://Essociate.com[/URL]

Most viral marketing is monetized through methods other than affiliate marketing. Affiliate marketing really works best with highly targeted products and traffic, and you seldom have either with most viral things. Traditional banner advertising or sponsorships or AdSense will usually produce much better results with untargeted traffic like that.

Just look at some of the examples of viral sites: Jib Jab, Elf Yourself, Despair.com's Demotivational Posters, etc.

Despair.com is a good example of a viral site that is somewhat easier to monetize.

This graph should help clarify

To have a highly successful site (quadrant B), you need both traffic and the ability to monetize that traffic. Just about any traffic can be monetized, but some is much harder to monetize. You need to continually look for ideas that are easier to monetize and easier to generate traffic.

Most affiliate "sales" sites are in quadrant A, where they're easy to monetize but hard to get traffic for. We need to look for ways to make our sites more viral, useful, and/or likely to generate word of mouth, so we can easily generate more traffic.

Viral sites and most "content" sites come at it from the opposite direction (quadrant D). They get great traffic (if done well) but are hard to monetize. They have to focus more on finding better ways to monetize the site.

Blogs are typically the worst of both worlds (quadrant C). Most get very little traffic. And most of them are nowhere near as easy to monetize as affiliate sites.

There's only so much that can be done to get more traffic or to better monetize your traffic. It's highly dependent on the actual concept or idea of your site. So the real trick is to find those elusive site ideas that could be in quadrant B, where you can get excellent traffic and can easily monetize that traffic.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I was wondering, does anyone know of some kind of reciprocal voting network you can use.

Kind of a place where a lot of people agree to be friends, and vote each others' viral attempts to the top of the social sites - including the smaller ones, which might stand a better chance of getting somewhere?

Anyone know of a place like this? A website as a meeting place for something like this could be cool....I'm thinking of starting one but if one already exists then I'll just go there and join it instead.
    Don't let your work go to waste. Sign up and get paid for all sales: [B]Onsales[/B], last-minute, etc.

thanks for that Michael, all great advice as ever...I love the graph!

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWatson
    I was wondering, does anyone know of some kind of reciprocal voting network you can use.

Kind of a place where a lot of people agree to be friends, and vote each others' viral attempts to the top of the social sites - including the smaller ones, which might stand a better chance of getting somewhere?

Anyone know of a place like this? A website as a meeting place for something like this could be cool....I'm thinking of starting one but if one already exists then I'll just go there and join it instead.
    Pretty sure digg et al are not liking that type of voting network and you can get kicked off completely for trying it.

The point is to make friends at the various social sites and friends vote for each other, but if the social site sees you only getting votes from a particular "set" of people, they devalue those votes.
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Pretty sure digg et al are not liking that type of voting network and you can get kicked off completely for trying it.

The point is to make friends at the various social sites and friends vote for each other, but if the social site sees you only getting votes from a particular "set" of people, they devalue those votes.

Good point Loxly, thanks. I guess what I meant was (but didn't wanna sound like a content snob) was is there a way to build those precious friends, fast, with emphasis on voting each others' QUALITY content up to the tops of these sites?

I guess you just have to make friends, vote for people and hope that they vote for you.

I notice on twitter that people drop you if you don't follow them after they follow you. It seems very self-serving, but that's life, as they say.

Hey guys thanks for the great input, I am fairly new in this business and wanted to know more about viral marketing, that would be an strategy that I could consider.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWatson View Post
    I notice on twitter that people drop you if you don't follow them after they follow you. It seems very self-serving, but that's life, as they say.
    That is a tactic used by people that are just trying to build a big following and they need to drop people in order to follow more people. There are entire books already about how to use Twitter. Some of us use different techniques, even for different accounts, each has it's own purpose. I follow who I want to follow, I don't care if they are following me or not. If I don't like the way someone or some company uses their account, I unfollow. If I want to "hear" them, I follow. Or if they are too verbose and I want to check in on them, I unfollow but still can go to their profile to catch up.

The whole point of social networks is to engage with your followers/friends/connections. By engaging with your network you have a better chance of getting *something* to go viral
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    That is a tactic used by people that are just trying to build a big following and they need to drop people in order to follow more people. There are entire books already about how to use Twitter. Some of us use different techniques, even for different accounts, each has it's own purpose. I follow who I want to follow, I don't care if they are following me or not. If I don't like the way someone or some company uses their account, I unfollow. If I want to "hear" them, I follow. Or if they are too verbose and I want to check in on them, I unfollow but still can go to their profile to catch up.

The whole point of social networks is to engage with your followers/friends/connections. By engaging with your network you have a better chance of getting *something* to go viral

Thanks for that, Loxly. I'm right in thinking that, like building an affiliate network, proper use of social networks takes a lot of time...?

I'm currently racking my brains to find some (mythical?) motherlode where all the affiliates will just jump aboard my program and we'll all live happily ever after....

I've never had any luck with any of my viral marketing efforts. I gave up on it a while ago. Like Michael said, just too hard to find that "sweet spot."

I have had a general idea of virus marketing, but it sounds like pyramid selling...

IMO social marketing, viral.. are not easy to convert. I speak with many of my friends in the industry and they say it's mostly branding, many are still struggling to figure out how to actually reach their customers.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread