I've always assumed I know the answer to this, but with the recent product catalog changes, I thought I'd better ask.

Does CJ have any reports (like LinkShare, Amazon and certain BeFree and indy merchants) that allow you to see exactly what is being purchased through my links?

I had assumed the answer was no, and used a combination of SID's and products links to at least try to pin down where my sales were starting.

Recent product catalog changes will make that more difficult since I now have to rely exclusively on SID's (which, btw, don't seem to work on newer links like the dynamic eBay links)?

Is there anything I'm missing here, or are you all in the same boat?

Thanks;

- Ed

"It's my hope that you'll come to appreciate the past should not be forgotten. It should be cherished, and run late-night, in syndication, after the local news." (Orange County)

I agree, this needs to addressed! To not be able to tell at a glance what products are selling and which are not is wasting my time that I could be using to push the products that are selling and removing the ones that are not. It's like owning a department store and nothing is labeled!! This is a GIANT step backwards for CJ! And, not only can we not see which products are selling but there is no longer 3mo/7day EPC for product links! I don't get it, it seems that we should be able to obtain all this information and much more!!

Tami

Agreed. I for one always thought is was daft that you coudn't see which products have sold with general advertiser website links, why couldn't this be implemented?

ABW Ambassador
    Would be nice, i think the only way to see what products you sell, is if you use product links.

Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map.
    --Wayne Calloway

quote:
    Would be nice, i think the only way to see what products you sell, is if you use product links.

Actually, you can only tell what products are selling - as far as in the reports - with the old product links. With the new product links if you have more than one product link from the same merchant (or from the same product catalog?), it will only tell you which product catalog it came from, which is useless information as far as I can see. No longer will it specify which product is associated with each product link. Try switching out or adding new product links and you will see what I mean.

Tami

This is actually a huge issue. I'm surprised more affiliates haven't posted on this thread.

This was an unwelcome and unannounced change in CJ reporting. I agree 100% with Tami - it is a giant step backwards.

Shouldn't the braintrust at CJ have consulted us about this?

Cmon everybody! Lets protest!

And we will not know what commissions were paid for what, so we might as well go back to just putting up banners and crossing are fingers for a good sale.

Also with the sold date and the posted date, does this mean no realtime reporting? And on another note who controls the posting of sales Cj or the advertiser?

Does this mean all sales in a sense are now Batched?

"It's your foot, you can shoot it if you want to." ~ Me

I've seen Todd lurking, but he's keeping pretty quiet. Too busy with the datafeed troublemakers.

I agree that the new improved product link information is a huge step backwards.

All of my old product links are still functioning, but show an "expired" status. New product links are all batched together as "Product Catalog 1" whatever the heck that means.

I don't understand how this is supposed to benefit the affiliate, and I do wish someone would explain it better.

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    You database experts need to look at the structure of the new consolidated database. If it parallels the feed requirement for the Froogle monster then CJ smartly has a new fee based service for their merchants. Just a shot in the dark.

WebMaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

If you want to track indivudual product link performance, you can use the SID field to see which links drove sales.

quote:
    Also with the sold date and the posted date, does this mean no realtime reporting? And on another note who controls the posting of sales Cj or the advertiser?

Does this mean all sales in a sense are now Batched?

Tracking and reporting is still in real-time. The event date is when it occured (i.e. the customer completed the action). The posting date is when it was consumed and "posted" to the txn table at CJ. The lag between event date and post date can be as little as a few minutes to as long as a few weeks. Pixle tracking will have the shortest lag between event and post dates. Batched txns will have longer lag times.

Exqample: If an advertiser batched all of their txns for the month on the 30th, they would all have posting dates of the 30th but the event dates could be as old as a month.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

quote:
    If you want to track indivudual product link performance, you can use the SID field to see which links drove sales.

SID field? Is there an easy way to do this? No!
    Why, isn't the SID field in the Advanced options for every product link? And it should automatically be filled in! WHO out there does NOT want to know what they are selling. This is the most illogical thing I have ever heard of!

And, why couldn't we have the product links the way they were AND product catalogs for the data feeds?
    I can't belive with all the money CJ makes that could not have implemented this!!

Performics seems to have the right idea, you can see which products are selling, even the product links you create!

So, basically CJ has given us MORE work for Christmas and the New Year! How Sweet! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Tami

ABW Ambassador
    day 1: CJ created EPC and made it public.
    day 2: CJ Destroyed the higher and most targeted EPC class by joining product link stats.

Now you can use SID, but forget about product EPC for your sites. EPC? use SID, EPC is not important anymore! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

CJ tech guys killed a great idea.

I'm getting really irritated with this, sorry.

Fer

I agree Fer!
    Yes - What good was seeing - via the EPC for product links - what product was selling for the past 3mos and 7days network wide! (I'm being sacastic)
    That was one the things CJ had going for it that none of the other Networks had!! I have to say this: CJ you are idiots!!

It must be that CJ is running their server on an old 286 with a 100 MB HD!! This explains why every time they have an upgrade they have to shut down for at least 2 days! With all the money CJ makes you would think they would have more than 1 server that is hot swappable so there would be no down time!
    And, what? are we limited on columns in the reports and product links, so we can't have the EPC column anymore, are they designing it for people that still use 640X480 screen size? That's what the scroll bar at bottom is for!

And, forget about using SID, as far as I can see it's for sites that have user logins.

I am rambling, because I am mad!!!! This is crap CJ!

"The lag between event date and post date can be as little as a few minutes to as long as a few weeks."

Hmmm..
    So I won't know the event date till the posted date is posted?

So

x=event date - clicks impressions real time
    y=post date - sales an commissions up to 2 weeks
    Z=what did I sell and when did I sell it

yes no?

"It's your foot, you can shoot it if you want to." ~ Me

quote:

"IF" we want to track product link performance? Who doesn't want that? That is why I spend 3hours a day analyzing my stats and making adjustments. Deleting high click through products that are out of stock and replacing them with network-wide 7 day EPC leaders. This is how I earned >$4000 last month.

Cj has made a huge mistake in changing the way products are tracked. Admit it Todd, tell the CJ braintrust the affiliates are upset, make the changes, and lets get on with the business of making money.

quote:
    Does CJ have any reports (like LinkShare, Amazon and certain BeFree and indy merchants) that allow you to see exactly what is being purchased through my links?

abagoo,
    The technology used by CJ, is not the same as that one used by Linkshare, Amazon, and Befree. CJ tracking isn't capable of tracking items bought by the customer.

quote:

ToddCrawford, CJ.com,
    This is not really true. Apart from being difficult to implement (for webmasters having 1000's of products), it also allows you to track only one product. Let me explain. Most people don't buy only one product, they buy several. SID only allows you to track which link did the buyer use to go to merchant's web site. The buyer can buy a different product on merchant's web site, so you would have to compare the price of the product bought, and the price of the product the webmaster is advertising to make sure that he indeed sold that product, and not something else.

15 years and counting
    CJ is changing their business model from "Affiliate friendly" to "Parasite friendly".
    They don't listen to us anymore. From DataFeed to Individual Product Tracking nothing is done to help us.
    I'm mad like hell at their "Newly Released Publisher Code of Conduct" So little, so late...
    and the worse "companies that are found to be non-compliant may be given up to sixty (60) days to bring their activities into compliance" Happy Christmas, Ebates and other thieves, don't worry CJ is taking care of you.

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

ABW Ambassador
    ToughTurkey, Tami & everybody who thinks the change is so bad, please post your msh into the CJ support section, aska Question, under Publisher Q&A > New features

That way we could get into official feedback stats about new "features".

Fer

quote:
    Originally posted by Zeus:
    CJ is changing their business model from "Affiliate friendly" to "Parasite friendly".
    They don't listen to us anymore. From DataFeed to Individual Product Tracking nothing is done to help us.
    Happy Christmas, Ebates and other thieves, don't worry CJ is taking care of you.

Is this something you guys didnt already know?

Pssst: if you leave parasite friendly links and merchants on your site, expect commissions to be stolen.

It cant be any simpler than that can it?

Dont complain to offending merchants to remove ebates. I guarantee, you remove the merchants and ebates will hear about it soon enough.

The affiliate that leaves the offenders on their sites are the negligent ones. Theres no two ways about it.

Come on guy's. You know the double edge theory...CJ is still by far the best affiliate network out there, Yes Linkshare shows what products sell (When they sell). But CJ lets you get the product to the customer far better than the other programs...also try search for products or affiliate program types on other networks...they are useless...the only one that comes close by affiliate category is shareasale and they are not as good.

Just my 2 cents

I am new here, but I have been in the affiliate game awhile:)

The networks have made it no secret that they are looking at quality over quantity.

Lets say a parasite makes $1,000,000 in commissions each day and 80,000 demanding affiliates generate $90,000 each day for a network. Which do you suppose the networks would prefer?

I wonder how many of you remember the time when cj.com did away with product links altogether, it was about 18 months ago I think. The outcry was remarkable. Affiliates could not be heard and so the shouted from the rooftops, screamed from their lungs and spat venom from their mouths
    and caused too much of a cacophony at the cju forums to be ignored. Product links where reinstated quite rapidly.

That was then. Times are different now.

I am a great fan of the networks but I think zeus has it. The times they are a changing and the networks have a real alternative now. There's awards and glittering prizes for the ebates of this world, contempt for the masses.

Heck! Youre right! If you cant beat em, join em!

Im on the phone right now with our programmer trying to replicate the ebates overwriting system!

Think Paul will be miffed?

quote:
    Im on the phone right now with our programmer trying to replicate the ebates overwriting system!

Make sure it's only opt-in! You wouldn't want anyone downloading it on their computer just to get that cool screensaver you're promoting!

Andy [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

quote:
    Originally posted by Andy:
    quote:

Make sure it's only opt-in! You wouldn't want anyone downloading it on their computer just to get that cool screensaver you're promoting!

Andy [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

hey! now theres an idea!

YOURE HIRED!

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread