Photos and your blog??
    Just a quick question guys about the use of photos on your blog. I have spent some time looking over a few blogs that already exist in my niche and some of them put in a glossy looking photo (even of something not that relevant to the post) with the post.

A call to other bloggers, do you think a photo a post is a bit over the top?

http and a telephoto
    Photos are great, but need to be appropriate to the post and not just there just to be there.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Yes, and remember that we are trying to actually provide value for the customer. That said, I love to see relevant pictures and usually click on them unconsiously.

Mike Maddox
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; December 31st, 2009 at 04:02 AM.

provided that the photo is legally used, properly sized and relevant, then it would enhance the posts in most cases. putting irrelevant images on the blog just weighs it down imo.
    [URL]http://Essociate.com[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by andyparks16
    do you think a photo a post is a bit over the top?
    No...

There are a ton of benefits you get by adding a photo every post.

a few...
    1. It helps the reader visualize what you are talking about

2. SEO - you can optimize that image and gain tons of traffic for that effort (on one of my blogs, half of my traffic is due to optimized images)

IMO: if you aren't adding photos you are missing out on a huge SEO opportunity

think about how many times you search "google images" looking for something
    Jason Rubacky - CEO/SEO Nerd at PassTheSEO
    jason at passtheseo dot com
    @jasonrubacky

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Make sure you either use public domain photos or photos with licenses that allow you to use them in your blog OR get written permission from the artist to use the image first. Many people will let you use a small preview/thumbnail image with a credit and a link to their sales page if you ask nicely and explain what you want to do.

I think it is great to use images with posts as long as they are small and compressed. They should be related to the post in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    Make sure you either use public domain photos or photos with licenses that allow you to use them in your blog OR get written permission from the artist to use the image first.
    +1
    Jason Rubacky - CEO/SEO Nerd at PassTheSEO
    jason at passtheseo dot com
    @jasonrubacky

Thanks for the advice about the photos,

I have seen blogs that are weighed down by senseless photos that are simply there to look nice as opposed to actually achieving something.

Is it absolutely necessary to get permission for photo's, I believe i am not doing anything wrong by downloading from google images and then uploading onto my blog.

Interested to know a little more about pictures and its benefits for SEO, how does that work??

Quote Originally Posted by andyparks16
    I believe i am not doing anything wrong by downloading from google images and then uploading onto my blog.
    There's no difference in taking them from Google's site and taking them from the website Google found them on. You are still violating the owners copyright.

John

Google does not own the rights to the images it shows and they tell you right next to every image:
    "Image may be subject to copyright."
    so there shouldn't be any question. There is a link to the site where Google found the image so it is easy for you to ask for permission or see whether the site allows image use. There are plenty of legitimate places online to find images that you can use with permission if you can't find one on Google images.

Affiliate Network Rep
    I think it's sensible to include a relevant picture.

Remember, "a picture is worth a thousand words". Images resonate well with readers and as long as it is relevant to your content, it can remain in their memory for longer than it would have without the picture.

Psychologically speaking, the unconscious retention rate is significantly higher with the use of an image.

Granted, you don't want to bombard your readers with images because then the effect will be diluted, but a well-placed, well-sized image can do wonders for you.

Images enhance the visual impact of a blog and make it more likely a post will be read. One good photo can grab a reader’s attention and drive them to the article.

A post without any graphs, drawing, or photos can look daunting. Even if it’s well written, the wall of text might not appeal to anyone. A good image is often a must-have for a great post.

But sometimes the images available for publishing are poor quality, or just don’t suit quite right.

Another way to go where you wouldn't have to worry about the copyright would be to purchase images from places like shutterstock, crestock or istockphoto. Photos in the size needed for a blog will cost you about a buck. A small price to pay to make your blog really stand out.

Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    If you are using something like WordPress, intriguiging and appropriate images are used by many plugins for teasers and such on homepages. It's a great way to invite readers to explore other areas of your site. And you've been given a lot of really good advice above as well.

Oh crud, I almost forgot! If you are using WordPress, check out picapp.com. They have a sweet plugin to let you find photos and plug them right in to your posts. The plugin can be found here .

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnHawkins
    Oh crud, I almost forgot! If you are using WordPress, check out picapp.com. They have a sweet plugin to let you find photos and plug them right in to your posts. The plugin can be found here .
    Nice, will give that one a try. I was looking for some sort of plugin for pics - http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...ghlight=plugin

there I was only thinking Flickr but should have thought bigger.

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    I like to add a photo that is relevant to each post. It catches the attention of someone who is just scanning my site.

I personally like adding photos for my blog posts. I think they add a lot in terms of getting the attention of the visitors.

It is important that photos should be relevant to your post.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread