Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I hit a long-term target in December!
    As I hinted in another thread and Ratna quickly guessed, in December 2009 ShareASale.com became my top commission-producing network!

It's no secret that SAS has been one of my favorite networks, with their focus on ethics and fairness, their incredible people, their great technology, and their growing selection of quality merchants. A favorite is one thing, but actually being able to make money with a network is another. I think this accomplishment clearly shows that you can be highly successful with SAS.

This has been a long time coming. Over the past few years, I've focused more and more on SAS. I've concentrated on niches where they're very strong, have favored them when merchants are on multiple networks, have brought many new merchants to SAS, and have checked SAS first when chosing new merchants for sites.

For those who might think that this might be a result of declining commissions at other networks rather than increased commissions at SAS, that's not the case. I've seen very large increases at SAS (almost doubled in the past year) and anything from moderate decreases to moderate increases at the other networks, but a net increase overall. 2009 was my best year in several years, and December was my best month in several years. Focusing on SAS has been a very good move.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Congratulations, Michael. But I must say that I am not surprised at all. Over the long haul ethics will win out; and in that department, along with the others you mentioned, ShareASale rocks.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Congrats on the milestone.

My mistake about three years ago was becoming too enthralled with SAS, and I changed over way too many links to different merchants because they were on SAS, abandoning other networks. Some of the SAS merchants I picked have been fabulous, others a total loss. The past few months while doing a massive update of my biggest sites, I've kept the top SAS merchant products, and gone back to several at CJ and added new CJ merchants, and the result was that Dec. was my best ever month at SAS, and my best CJ month in a couple of years. It's now a good mix.

I think that what this says is that while I too admire the ethics, fairness and staff of SAS, among the major networks the merchant is the key. Certainly if a merchant is on multiple networks, their SAS program is my first choice, but I've seen that it is a mistake to promote an unknown merchant over a known one just because of the network. (By "known" I mean not just name recognition, but all of the things that go into making their affiliate program successful, including conversion rates, tracking, ease of check-out, products in stock, etc., etc.)
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I definitely have no plans to abandon the other networks. And not every SAS merchant I try works for me. There are some real dogs (as there are on every network). But there are some real jems, too.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Congrats, Michael! That's an awesome milestone.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Congratulations Michael

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    It's all about testing and seeing what works for your affiliate business.

I've gone through 100's of merchants at CJ and LS over the years to find 3 that work well in the interior of my sites.

It's puzzling ... because so many seemed like a perfect fit.

Prolly 50 failed programs to find one good fit....

I've been playing with SAS since this summer, just to update an account I started in 2005 and never did anything with, and plan on using them this year on several new niche sites I'm building.

They must LOVE ABW .....

'Cause ABW seems to love them... -

EDIT: Way To Go Michael!!!!

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Congratulations!

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Good Deal.

I too have hit a long term target in December. $0 in commissions across the networks.

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    I too have hit a long term target in December. $0 in commissions across the networks.
    The optimist says: Nowhere to go but UP from there!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Good Deal.

Pessimism at it's finest -

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    The optimist says: Nowhere to go but UP from there!
    An optimist is a person who sees a green light everywhere, while the sees only the red stoplight.

The truly wise person is colorblind.

Quote Originally Posted by RemodelingGuy
    Pessimism at it's finest -
    Thanks. Just trying to keep up my standards.

Aaw! You may not earn the big $$$ with affiliate marketing but you have earned all of us goobers here at ABW. We love ya, SB!

And congratulations, Michael!

Quote Originally Posted by bettylou
    Aaw! You may not earn the big $$$ with affiliate marketing but you have earned all of us goobers here at ABW. We love ya, SB!
    Thankfully that isn't controlled by Google.

http and a telephoto
    Congratulations Michael, finding the right mix is the way to be successful. And yes, you have to go my merchant and not just by network. I'm glad to see that "big" affiliates can show that they can be successful at the "small" Shareasale network. (I hate calling it a small network)
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

That's just it. It isn't a small network anymore. I don't believe they're at the CJ, LinkShare or GAN level yet, but they're getting there very rapidly. I don't know if their whole year has seen the same types of gains as they did on Cyber Monday, but they reported a 95% year over year increase for Cyber Monday. The "big" networks aren't seeing increases. Valueclick's latest quarterly report showed year over year decreases of around 10% for CJ, both for Q3 and YTD.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

http and a telephoto
    The problem is that some affiliates consider it a small network. But more people are "coming around"
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    Congrats MC.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    The problem is that some affiliates consider it a small network
    I do think SAS is relatively small despite its larger liking and following at ABW forums. However SAS and PJN are likey posting better growth rates than bigger rivals like CJ.

For SAS to grow, it must address the poor merchant quality issues reported to them (several times by me privately) and some other issues reported here at ABW like changes to commissions by merchants without proper notifications / agreements. And it must get some bigger brands to sign up with them as well. Hope Brent is tasked up on this.

I want SAS to succeed and wish them well. Hope one day SAS grows to be our top producer as well.

Special Note - Prior to joining ABW couple of years ago, we had an inactive account with SAS that was producing no commissions. The benefit of joining ABW and learning more about SAS (from here) is that SAS has become a very good partner and decent commission generator for us!. So, those of you who are still not part of SAS, you should give them a try!.

ABW Ambassador
    So, you didn't buy anything from your own sites either?. Next December, send me your site links so I'll place at least an order from your sites so you can show infinite percent increase in commissions

Congrats MC, it's always good to hear success stories!

Especially after being at it full time and being your primary source of income. Mucho Kudos.

SAS is also not my best performing network but I think simply because visitors on my site prefer the recognized brand names. Those seem to perform better and mostly on CJ in my case.

Quote Originally Posted by redtagdeals
    So, you didn't buy anything from your own sites either?. Next December, send me your site links so I'll place at least an order from your sites so you can show infinite percent increase in commissions
    It won't track.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Congrats on the milestone Michael and for showing affiliates the potential of SAS.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Nice milestone, MC and WTG!

SAS out-performs all other networks for me, most of the time, too. I tend to promote their merchants more because I know I have a better chance of seeing the money I earn.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast