Hey guys, I got an old-time client that called me last week and asked if I would start an affiliate program for their site:
    www.penonline.com

It sells brand-name pens and refills.
    They want to completely revamp the site, and concentrate on affiliate marketing.

Would you guys be interested in promoting such site?

The featured pen of the month is over $4000?
    Cripes!

That just scared me out of looking at the rest of the site as a shopper.

Haven't got traffic that fits right now, but it would fit with something I've got that's about three months away.

ABW Ambassador
    Hey, at least they offer free shipping on that pen.

I would promote them if they had a decent commission rate and didn't allow parasites into their affiliate program

You must get them to remove the 'call for price' though. That would put me off big time

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Would I promote it? If it's got a good commission (10%--none of this "the item price is high so the commission percentage stinks" nonsense some merchants try to pull) and long cookies, and WordTracker shows a demand for that sort of thing, then sure.

Provided a couple of changes are made to the site, that is...

*UNSOLICITED SITE REVIEW ALERT!*

$4k for a pen! Holy Camoley! And the other Nazareth pens cost hundreds!

Yet there's only one line of description!!!

I'm not saying to make a content site by any means, but one line's far too much the other way. Sorry, but even I need more convincing than *that* to drop $4k! SELL that thing! Tell me about how exquistely smoothly it writes...how great it'll feel in my hand...how the manufacturer's been around for hundreds of years...what the guarantee is...and how it'll be an heirloom in my family for generations after generations!

Affiliates could put in some of the general accolades but specifics like how long the manufacturer's been in business, guarantees, and anything really juicy (like if a king or other highly-stationed person ever used one of these), need to be provided by the merchant to ensure accuracy.

Plus, when there is nothing on the merchant's site except a one-line description, it's scary to the customers. Does the merchant actually know anything about the product? Are the off-site claims endorsed by the merchant or will they disavow everything??

One-liners may work for everyday pens--or expensive tech things where the specs ARE the selling point--but for luxury items that cost hundreds or thousands of dollars, the merchant needs to tell the people just why they shouldn't go ahead and get a $20 Cross Pen instead.

Oh, and one other big point--the most expensive thing should NOT be the featured item, because Ulterior's response (scared away!) would be the typical reaction. Something from the midrange would better represent the merchant's line, and avoid scaring off those who can afford the normal offerings.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I spent 20+ years in the corporate world and there is definitely a niche market for this kind of stuff. But I've been out of it for a while so I've never seen it ordered online by corporations. Normally, companies have reps who come to the Execs, or people like to shop themselves for it. They like to be sold on the product first.

The site looks too plain to sell pens and probably other products that are worth several thousand dollars. People who buy that kind of stuff have money, plenty of money, to spend. They like fancy, flashy (not colors or flash presentations), they want to be part of an elite group and feel special.

There is absolutely nothing on the site to promote and sell the products to that niche market.

There is a store in Canada, maybe in the US too I don't know, called Den for Men (or something like that). It's pretty expensive stuff, but you should see the stores! Holy crap! It really reflects the products they sell at the high prices. You walk in that store and right away you FEEL rich and you WANT to spend money! LOL The website needs to do exactly that.

And a previous post is entirely correct... Call for prices??? NOT! Unless they can track the phone orders.

Just my thoughts...

Catwoman

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You must get them to remove the 'call for price' though. That would put me off big time <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Call for price will not change, because that particualr vendor does not allow licensed merchants to display prices. If I do take on the program, there will be a mechanism to track phone orders.

Guys, don't concentrate too much on that pen. All that stuff is going to be changed.

Most of the products that are sold at that store are in $50-$150 range.

I wouldn't promote items I don't believe would sell. Companies are tight these days and buying overpriced pens isn't in the budget. If it were I don't believe they'd buy if by finding me online and clicking my affiliate link.

Affiliate Manager
    Does that pen have a TV in it?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Companies are tight these days and buying overpriced pens isn't in the budget. ~Heyder <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Companies? I suppose they could be buyers, but I was thinking the prime buyers would more often be individuals who like to show off their money by having small but expensive personal items. The same type who'd pay a lot for a watch or cufflinks would be just the type to buy a $50 pen.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Guys, don't concentrate too much on that pen. All that stuff is going to be changed. Konstantin <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No matter which particular pens end up on the site, there needs to be sales copy for each product on the merchant site.

I figure this is worth repeating since the fact that the merchant let those pages go live without any spin in the first place, shows that he might not realize that, that needs changing!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    How many of those $4,000 pens have been sold this year?

What the hell is all this about parasites? into programs? i still just dont get ti what are people raving on about merchants having parasites? what are they and how do they get in? and who benefits from them?/

thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Julian:
    Hey, at least they offer free shipping on that pen.

I would promote them if they had a decent commission rate and didn't allow parasites into their affiliate program

You must get them to remove the 'call for price' though. That would put me off big time <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread