*Moderator person
    First I want to apologize if I'm wrong in reviving this thread that's a bit old. If I shouldn't be doin this, please move it to where you feel it should be or delete it I guess if you feel that's what should be done.

I was goin thru some merchants on one of my sites tryin to make some decisions as to why they weren't converting, who to maybe feature more, feature less, etc. (that is if I'm able to find that type of product which is a big if lol ) I read thru this thread and respect the opinions of those who posted. Am not sure if it's the correct thing to out a merchant or not after reading the comments and doin a bit of thinking.

Merchant I'm referring to has the ole 0's all the way across. (I honestly don't know if that woulda been the case when I joined em but don't really think it woulda since that wouldn't have instilled a whole lotta confidence in me. Is possible tho that I found some products I liked that they had and did join em regardless of the 0's)

Anyway, point is that now when I'm lookin at their stats it shows the 0's, says the last sale was 10/4/09. Last compliance test was 12/20/09. (altho am still not quite sure what exactly the compliance test means or proves.)

Since admittedly (Kevin's thread) I have a lot to learn regarding analytics, etc. So, when I'm in doubt I make a search for my merchant to see if the biggies have em on their sites. I figure they know what they're doin and if a merchant's on their site then they must be ok or they wouldn't be on their sites. Merchant I'm referring to is still listed on the biggies sites.... what I don't understand is why??

I would assume if this merchant wasn't converting before October they wouldn't still have em on their sites. And....if they were converting back then, then how come there hasn't been any sales since October?

Fess up is probably a dummy question, but could somebody please give me an explanation for this that makes sense?? Cos, isn't making any sense to me.

ABW Ambassador
    Who's the merchant?

umm ok, still not quite sure but guess I will
    Jewelry Castle

Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    Anyway, point is that now when I'm lookin at their stats it shows the 0's, says the last sale was 10/4/09. Last compliance test was 12/20/09. (altho am still not quite sure what exactly the compliance test means or proves.)
    The "last compliance test" was the last time the tracking pixel was fired, which is presumably the last time they had ANY sale on their web site. The "last sale" is the last AFFILIATE sale.

Some merchants (like this one, apparently) just don't do a lot of business. Many merchants start sites with big plans and the sales just don't come in. Maybe their products just aren't appealing. Maybe their prices are too high. Maybe their site converts really poorly. Maybe they just haven't figured out how to market it. If it doesn't work very well for the merchant, it's probably not going to work very well for you as an affiliate. Sometimes you can find some hidden gems. Usually they're just duds.

If they haven't had an affiliate sale recently, that means a lot less. Maybe no good affiliates have discovered them yet. Maybe affiliates just haven't discovered the right ways to promote them. But if they're generating sales in other channels, there should be ways for affiliates to promote them successfully.

That's my take on those two very useful stats that SAS provides.

Moderator Note: This looks like it's probably a considerably different situation than the one in the thread you posted this in, so I'm going to split it out.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    I figure they know what they're doin and if a merchant's on their site then they must be ok or they wouldn't be on their sites.
    I'm not sure that's a valid assumption. Some "biggies" might be too busy to keep up with who is making them money.

For an example of someone being way behind do a G on "knogcable coupons" (no quotes). KongCable let their SAS program die many months ago, and they never did coupons. That ad with kongcable in the url goes to a SAS dead link page and costs the hapless affiliate every time it's clicked.

The "last compliance test" was the last time the tracking pixel was fired
    Soooo.... if "last compliance test" date was quite some time ago.... for a merchant that is still "live".... then who knows if they are actually "in compliance" or not?

A "real" compliance test would be a test to see if a tracking pixel is NOT in place.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    I'm not sure that's a valid assumption. Some "biggies" might be too busy to keep up with who is making them money.

For an example of someone being way behind do a G on "knogcable coupons" (no quotes). KongCable let their SAS program die many months ago, and they never did coupons. That ad with kongcable in the url goes to a SAS dead link page and costs the hapless affiliate every time it's clicked.
    Most "biggies" will keep a close eye (and probably automate a lot of it). You don't get to be big by wasting money.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thank you very much Michael Appreciate your taking the time to explain all of that.

If I understand you correctly... there really isn't any sorta requirement then for a "last compliance test" to be recent then. Another merchant I had joined but had removed their links quite some time ago I noticed while looking at the one I had made this thread about had their last test in 11/08.

I don't mean to be critical and maybe it couldn't happen but umm it just seems that those type of merchants really shouldn't remain in the list of merchants that people could join their program. Not everybody knows a whole lot when they start (or even been in this for a while) 11/08 has been quite a while ago. Still don't even understand why they'd still have their program but that's a whole other matter. lol

John Powell
    Guess I shoulda worded it a bit differently. When I'm in doubt in the beginning before joining a merchant is when I'll make a search for that merchant and then visit some of the sites who are promoting em. I figure they would know. Not sure that is a smart thing to do or not. Figure if really a lotta red flags about that merchant tho they should know. Again, not sure that is the case. lol So...with this particular merchant when I had my doubts about em I went back again to see who was still promoting em.

Shouldn't fess up to this cos doesn't speak well for my business mind lol but in the past when I've found merchants who's programs have ended but they're still on a biggies site (for instance SAS was the network and that's who their links were) I've actually contacted the biggies site thru their contact and told em. Never gotten a response back and didn't check back so don't know if they paid attention to me or not. Smart thing would been to just let em leave their dead links up. lol

MichaelColey
    you'd umm be surprised by some of the biggies who don't pay attention. Like in John's example of the sites that still have the dead links up. Somebody like you I'm sure you do pay attention but for whatever reason not all do. Doesn't make sense to me that they don't but like I said, I've made searches and been surprised with some. I have stopped wasting my time bein nice now tho lol and I don't let em know anymore.

Thanks again, am gonna remove their links and try to find another with similar products. (rrggghh that is one who has the individual image links. Can't understand why all don't but that's another thing, too lol ) I'm a teeny so when I write to em and ask, they ignore me.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread