Could any merchant join two affiliate networks?
    Is it possible a merchant joins two different affiliate networks, e.g. SAS and CJ? If so, is it typical to have the same commission rate for two networks?

It's very possible to be in two networks unless they have you sign some kind of exclusive agreement like supposedly LinkShare does. I see commissions usually the same between networks for a given merchant.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Commissions should be the same, and you should also be sure you have addressed dual network issues with tracking. You should have logic that only fires the appropriate pixel depending on which network was associated with last click.

LinkShare is the only network I know of that regularly requires (or required?) exclusivity. I've heard rumblings that they don't require it anymore, but don't know for sure. They may still ask for it, unless a merchant insists that they remove the requirement.

I've seen some merchants offer different rates on different networks (usually to offset higher/lower network fees), but most are usually the same. I've also seen some merchants try to move their top performers in-house or to a specific network. That practice leaves a bad taste in my mouth. If an affiliate finds you on one network or signs up there because that's their preferred network, the network deserves their fee.

My suggestion would be to research the networks thoroughly, pick one network and stick with them. Multiple networks complicates things, creates tracking concerns, is more work and costs more.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, I've started seeing a lot of merchants on LS on other networks, so they might have loosened that up a bit.

I'm all for merchants being on at least 2 different networks. There are merchants making it work, so it can be done. And options are never bad. A merchant might open up on a network an affiliate doesn't like. And then you have cases like GAN where you had affiliates dropped unfairly and they have some options, since a lot of merchants on GAN are also on other networks.

Also for merchants. You might be on a network that pulls something really stupid (initial CJ LMI) or makes a move you don't like.

One major thing that most people don't take into consideration about multi-network tracking... The standard way to handle tracking pixels is like Gary describes above. The merchant has to set a cookie to determine which network's pixel gets displayed. Now, instead of just relying on ONE cookie for sales to track properly, the affiliate has to rely on TWO cookies for their sales to track. That's TWO points of failure. If the merchant misses setting their cookie on some landing pages, you don't get credit. If the merchant cookie gets erased, you don't get credit. If the merchant has too many other cookies, your cookie won't get set and you won't get credit. If the network cookie gets erased, you don't get credit.

The other thing about multi-network tracking is that it negates any benefits of parasite-free networks, because a "click" from a parasite or cookie stuffer on another network can override your cookie from the parasite-free network.

If I had to choose between three merchants set up as follows, I would rank them as follows, with very little distinction between #2 and #3:

1. Exclusive to my favorite network.
    2. Dual programs on my favorite and least favorite networks.
    3. Exclusive to my least favorite network.

The dual-network merchant would be only marginally better to me than a merchant who is exclusive to my least favorite network. They get all the problems of my least favorite network and very few benefits.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks for the replies. If the merchant is in both CJ and LS and has same commission rate, can I just use one tracking id, e.g. just CJ but not LS? Will that cause that cookie or other problems?

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread