10 niche sites: $500 a month per site. Realistic?
    Greetings,

I have 10 niche sites. Each site has 1 product. The commissions per sale are not earth shattering but I need to start somewhere.

I want to earn $500 a month per site.

My plan is to focus on driving traffic, using a few different methods, to the sites while the sites start to rank in the search engines.

Is this a realistic income goal?

I would say that it would depend on the quality of what the sites look like, the products you're selling and the price of the products.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

^^^Thanks for the reply BB........

I've already made sales from the sites and some of the items cost over $200 and some less.

The sites look credible as well. Based on the review of the folks that created some of the plug ins that I use on the sites.

ABW Ambassador
    Not all niches are the same. A $500/mo/niche is more theoretical than anything else. As you start driving traffic and get conversions, you will see that some niches will perform better than others. You may be making $1000+ from one niche and none from another.

You will need to adapt and learn from what works and what doesn't.

I think it would be easier to make $5000 per month from one really good site than it would be to make $500 per month per site from 10 mediocre sites. (And don't even try to tell me that you can build and run 10 really good sites at one time.)

Have you made $500/month on a consistent basis from any one site? If so, consider the things that make that site perform better than other sites that haven't performed as well.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

500 per month per site from 10 mediocre sites. (And don't even try to tell me that you can build and run 10 really good sites at one time.)
    He/She is talking about sites that focus on ONE INDIVIDUAL ITEM. The "mini-site" approach... talking about "specialty", not "mediocre". The customer does not care if a site is waving it's hands in the air "look at me, i've got 4 million products for you to sift through!"; the customer wants THE ITEM THAT THEY ARE LOOKING FOR. As far as pleasant shopper experience and conversion potential, it is easier to get a customer warmed up for a purchase if the item they are looking for is right there in their face, with no place else to go but either straight to the shopping cart now, or off to face the prospect of spending more time searching for something they've already found RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW.

And for SEO purposes, it is easier for a small-timer to gain ground with this kind of focus as opposed to having that item buried in a "mall" site beneath a mountain of unrelated itmes.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Certainly possible, but I agree you will need to test and adapt. You might need to try 20 - 30 (or even 100) sites/products to find the ten that will produce on a consistent basis.

The problem is usually traffic generation. I have trouble getting traffic to my sites in a profitable way, but I have big niche sites. Maybe your focused niche sites will have better luck.
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

I don't think this is out of the realm of possibility given some of the traffic generation techniques that are available today...video marketing, social media etc.

is that your site OICUAM2, i digggg it!

Check this video out - start at around 2:00min in to the video. Not foolproof but gives some interesting ideas: http://www.affilorama.com/blog/whiteboard
    "God moves imperturbably, slowly, and with perfect organization. The only wise rate at which to live is God's rate. God get things done and they are done right and He does them without hurry. He neither fumes nor frets. He is peaceful and therefore efficient." - Norman Vincent Peale

Outsourced Program Manager
    Hi Ron,

That's a question that requires more details than you are providing here. Of course it's possible to generate that level of income per niche, but there are a lot of factors at play. Some that come immediately to mind....

- How much quality traffic can you legitimately generate for each niche?
    - What methods will you use (SEO, PPC etc)?
    - How strong is the top ranking competition for your target KWs (if SEO)?
    - What is the level of effort (backlinks, content) that it will take to get a decent position in the SERPs?
    - What do you anticpate the average CPC will be (if PPC)
    - What is your average conversion rate?
    - What is your commission?

(Anticipated Traffic * Anticipated Conversion Rate) * Commission = Educated Guess.

Of course, you probably won't be able to get all of these estimates exactly right out of the gate, but at least it will get you in the neighborhood of what to expect.

My advice: don't try and do too much simultaneously, pick one niche and go full force until you find success. I've fell into that trap personally many times and the results have always been worse than if I simply did 1 thing really well.

Do your due diligence, research, forecast and pick the strongest horse out of the pack. Then relentlessly execute, analyze, adjust your strategy accordingly, repeat.

Hope that's helpful.

Don't forget about the possibility of finding the right domain upon which to build a focused "micro-site." Over the years I have managed to pick up many "type-in" domains. I have been able to find exact generic-product-name dot-coms. Granted, they are not "valuable" domains (like "shoes" or "cellphones") might be and they do not sell a LOT of product - but they all seem to produce a few conversions per month.

For example, I picked up "Black High Heel Boots dot-com" shortly before Summit. We haven't had time to do anything with it other than change DNS and point it to a server. The product is now beyond the right "season" but should be good for next fall. Black High Heel Boots are very, very popular. The domain is already receiving a dozen unique visitors per day - with nothing there. Cost? Would you believe I picked it up for thirty-eight bucks? (How many clicks would $38 buy in a PPC campaign? Not many in the shoes vertical.)

I hear naysayers proclaim that all the "good" domains are gone. Wrong! All of the very valuable domains may be gone, but there are still a lot of performers out there. New ones, yet to be registered, are still out there.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I have domains like that as well, if I'm not able to concentrate on them for awhile I usually at least try to put up some sort of scraped content and at least run some adsense to try to monetize it a little until I can move forward with it.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the "80/20" rule (or 95/5, or whatever) in this discussion.

Essentially, the rule says that 80% of results come from 20% of effort. Thus, if you allocate equal time and effort to 10 sites, then 2 of them will generate 80% of your total revenue.

The "80/20 rule" has been around for many decades, but in the age of the internet, many folks have found results that are more like 95/5 (e.g. 95% of results come from 5% of effort), or even 99/1.

Of course, the rule really does depend on how you measure "effort," which is generally a combination of time and money -- time and money spent to obtain content and promote the site.

I think your concept is reasonable -- create 10 focused "micro-sites" that each discuss/review/promote a single product. But as others have mentioned, you'll quickly discover that ONE of those sites will quickly emerge as the "leader" in terms of revenue and ROI. Allocating a little more effort to that site (even at the cost of spending less time working on the other sites) is likely to increase overall revenue -- but doubling your effort on the top-performing site is generally unlikely to double your revenue.

I also think it's critical to recognize that the performance of various web sites will vary over time -- your top performer today may lose Google ranking, or people may stop searching for that product name or keyword; or another site might attract attention more slowly, and surge in revenue beyond your top performer's best results. It's critically important not to rely on short-term results to make long-term plans.

Alas, there is no easy way to figure out which 20% of your effort will generate 80% of results (and after you see results and re-allocate your time and money accordingly, you'll still find the same rule applying). There's a saying in the advertising industry: "half of the money spent on advertising is wasted -- but nobody knows which half." With good web analytics and reporting, you can do some pretty good tracking of results, but as with any investment, "past performance is not a guarantee of future results."

My advice: don't try and do too much simultaneously, pick one niche and go full force until you find success. I've fell into that trap personally many times and the results have always been worse than if I simply did 1 thing really well.
    But.... one must also be able to realize when or if they're beating a dead horse, and not stay too "attached" when something isn't working out. We've seen far too many folks get burnt out and fall by the wayside over the years because when things weren't going well, they thought the solution would be to do twice as much of what already wasn't working for them.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Outsourced Program Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by davidh
    But.... one must also be able to realize when or if they're beating a dead horse, and not stay too "attached" when something isn't working out. We've seen far too many folks get burnt out and fall by the wayside over the years because when things weren't going well, they thought the solution would be to do twice as much of what already wasn't working for them.
    Sure, there is definitely a balance. On the flip side, you have to give things time to work. I've seen a lot of people abandon ship prematurely because things didn't work out right away.

yes andyparks16 - thanks

The video linked above has a basic point - instead of pocketing all of your website profits, use 50% of the profits to outsource article writing and other tasks to continue the growth of your web empire.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread