Smartphone also-rans
    Compact digital cameras
    Newspaper subscriptions
    CDs
    New college textbooks
    Gas-guzzling cars
    Energy-inefficient homes and appliances

WHY?
    Compact digital cameras? Disagree. I have one (Canon Power Shot) and love it! Great for throwing in your pocket. Try putting my Digital Rebel in your pocket. Can't do it.

The rest I could agree with. Especially new college textbooks. My last one cost me $250 - Cost Accounting for Managers- because I needed a new edition just released...couldn't find it used.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    I still like to buy CDs on sale ($5 or so)...still a better deal than iTunes

We buy DVDs from time to time because then we have it when we want it...as opposed to waiting 2-4 days or having to download it, etc. Tara and I get a lot of good movies for under $8 too

I didn't know home telephone service was even offered anymore LOL
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Affiliate Manager
    I have a subscription to a mail order (not sure if I can post brand names here lol) for DVDs and I love it. Their pretty quick in sending them out too.

Used CD at local shop: $4. Same album on iTunes: $9.99. As long as there is a market for used CDs, they will always trump digital downloads (when the same album is available in both formats).

I don't generally buy DVDs anymore unless I want to specifically support an artist or filmmaker - I'll buy any concert DVD by Rush and any movie by Kevin Smith, for example.

I will continue to use external hard drives, cloud be damned. Backing up to the cloud is all well and good, but if it's your only method of backup, you're a fool. Sorry, 's true.

Compact digital cameras fit in my pocket and my messenger bag. My Nikon D50 DSLR does not. Compact FTW.

As long as I have a home alarm system tied to my phone line, I will continue to have a home phone line.

The rest of the list I can generally get behind, but lists like this tend to irritate me. They usually assume that everyone is of the same socioeconomic status and can afford to make decisions based on factors other than "can I afford this?" It's easy for people of means to forget that not everyone has high-speed internet to stream movies on Netflix with or have $300 smart phones to replace their cheap landlines with. Not everyone can afford a $500 DSLR (which this article actually recommends) in lieu of a sub-$100 compact digital camera. The reason given? Quality. The article says Don't Buy This In 2010 because the quality of the DSLR is better than the compact camera. Really? My compact camera shoots at a resolution high enough to make poster prints out of, and the quality is awesome.

It's easy for some to forget that cost is actually a factor for most people.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

In regard to CD's.... there will always be sticklers for sound quality. MP3 format is a quality downgrade from the format that is available on compact disc, just as digital format is a downgrade from analog representation.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

I agree with you, Daniel.

I have a "redundant" land line, but since I don't get cable where I live and my DSL runs through my phone company, that's not going to change any time soon. And yes, my 5 year old house is in a brand new subdivision and the fastest DSL I will (ever?) get is my current 3000 line. 5 years ago, no one could foresee that people would want fast internet access, right?

Plus, am I the only one to worry that, if I really need help one day, I will choose the day that my DSL is striking (happens often enough, and you can't call emergency numbers through VoIP, at least not in Germany) and my notoriety for having an uncharged phone will come to haunt me, and I won't get through to those numbers? I don't know, I trust land lines more than VoIP (which I use) and Cells (which I also use).

With my 3000 line, watching movies or tv online is not so fun. We regularly go to the movie store Friday night and rent a DVD.

I have a bridge camera, which as I understand is smaller than an SLR camera. While good enough for my purposes, I sometimes really wish I had a little pocket sized camera for quick shots.

What I do think so go out of business are gas guzzling cars and books (printed on paper)! They are both bad for the environment and are unnecessary.

I got a sony e-reader touch for christmas and I love, love, love it! There is a German company working on a lightweight, plastic screen e-ink technology that are bringing out a DIN A4 (something like US letter size) reader, that you can write on, take notes, read magazines etc. It is lightweight and unbreakable (within reason) so that even school children could use this one "book" to store all their text books. College kids will be happy, too. I can't wait to get this when it comes out. I find we AM's have to read SO much digital information that I start to go crazy reading on the monitor. The e-reader is such a relief for me, and I actually have read about 1/3 of my accumulated "I'll get to that later" material since Christmas.

I would absolutely hate to see Books not be on printed paper. There is nothing better than to crack open that brand new book, the smell, the feel of it in my hands and a wonderfully crafted tale to read.

I could not get into reading a novel on my computer screen, I love to soak in the tub with a good book, now how am i gonna do that with an electronic device?? LOL
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

I love to read in the tub, too. I was thinking of putting my reader into a ziplock bag! LOL

I really hate to read at the monitor, too, Heidi, which is why I was so happy to get a reader. They are still way too expensive, though.

The quality of camera phones has reached the low end of the digital camera offerings. Does that mean no one will carry a digital camera? For those just capturing an impromptu event I'm sure the camera phone would suffice. But for any serious photography the camera phone is a long way from fulfilling that need

Electric readers just can't compete with curling up on the couch on a rainy day with a good book

Stuck with a land line for DSL and the security system. My security system provider has begun installing some systems with cellphones (think of onstar in your attic). He recently asked if I was interested in switching. Even if I didn't have DSL I wouldn't. Guess the "can you hear me now" is entrenched in my brain - I want the security system call to go through every time!!!

I have a stack of external drives for data backup. I also have pocket drives that travel with me when on a photography trip. Cloud storage has its place, a convenient spot to park data for easy access remotely. That would be data that is physically residing on my external drives.
    Last edited by charpaula; January 6th, 2010 at 08:13 AM. Reason: fat finger typing
    CharPaula
    Staying focused on the bottomline

I would actually prefer a cellular home alarm (or at least with cellular backup). If a thief cuts your phone line and breaks in, if you only have a landline, you only have a local alarm (which they could probably find and cut pretty quick) and no remote notification.

I use a mid-range digital camera (Canon Powershot, 20x optical zoom, 10 megapixel) and my iPhone for pictures. What we have eliminted (for several years now) is a video camera. My Powershot takes incredible video and even the iPhone 3GS takes decent video. I've grown to prefer short video clips rather than 30-60 minute tapes that I never watched.

I have some ereaders on my iPhone and even a Kindle, but I still prefer printed books.

We drive a Suburban. We don't always need that much space, but we feel much safer driving around in that instead of a Smart Car.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Manager
    I am with you MC on the car. A suburban is too hard to fit in the garage so I drive the shorter GMC Yukon. It feels a lot safer being at eye level with most drivers on the road instead of staring at their bumper.

As far as DVD, I probaby buy one every week. It seems like there is always a movie that DD wants. I think we own every Disney movie ever released.

I have never been a big fan of CDs. If I want to listen to music, I turn on the radio. I know too many people who are "stuck in the 60s" or "stuck in the 80s" because they bought CDs or albums and that is the only thing they listen to. I don't ever want to get stuck on any particular CD. I want current music and for me that means the radio.

DD likes to talk on the phone with her girlfriends so she uses the landline. Since she is only 7, she won't be getting a cell phone for a few more years and using my phone to call her friends is not an option.

Affiliate Manager
    Those who forgo buying external drives risk unnecessary delays when they need their backup data. I maintain three full backups and two smaller incremental ones, mostly on drives stored both at home and at the office, and one online.

Drives are cheap, and when I need something I can get it instantly.

On everything else in the article I'm in agreement, but I love having instant and reliable access to my archives and I'm not giving that up anytime soon.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Quote Originally Posted by charpaula

Electric readers just can't compete with curling up on the couch on a rainy day with a good book
    Au Contraire! I did just that over Christmas and read the collected works of Arthur Conan Doyle (1200 pages), 2 modern criminal fiction books (together about 600 pages) and loads of professional literature (felt like about 40 000 pages...probably more like 200 lol)

It was actually quite NICE to read with the e-reader. The Conan Doyle works would have had me shifting from position to position trying to hold such a heavy book...this way it only weighs a few hundred grams, and I can turn the page with one hand--great to snuggle under the blankets with, or munch on some chocolate without getting the pages thumbprinted haha.

@MC and SlowCooker: gas efficient cars don't neccessarily mean small cars. I drive a huge 1.5t peugeot station wagon, and even though it's already 6+ years old, I have a mileage of 6.4L per 100km (umm... I think that is about 35 mpg?? does that sound right?). You would be hard pressed to compare my car (a mix of a station wagon and van) to a little smart. I would roll over them and not even notice lol

Outsourced Program Manager Andy2.0's Avatar
    I know personally I don't even know my home number... I have it because it's about $10 a month for issues during hurricanes if we ever get them, but I don't even have a phone plugged into a wall... The first week I tried having a landline plugged in, telemarketers just kept making it ring, so forget about it!

Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: AndyJr@andyrodriguez.com | P: (305) 412-3512 | AIM & MSN: Andy2PointO| Follow me on Twitter

Affiliate Programs We Manage, Join Today: XSitePro.com | Chatmeter.com | DeluxeForBusiness.com| EverythingHangers.com | DesignerChecks.com | OneWayFurniture.com | ChecksUnlimited.com | BiblicaDirect.com - IBSDirect.com

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread