Affiliate Manager
    Could you please suggest suiatable affiliate network?
    Guys, we are launching a new digital product which is unique and looking for a midsize, ideally managed network to market it. So, the product is great, the landing pages and banners are gorgeous.

CJ, and other larger networks are not suitable since they have large setup fees and large deposit requirements.

We want to start slow selling 500 items a month for first couple months, testing. We can easily sell large inventory, but want to polish our customer service processes.

So, can you suggest a network that guaranteed can deliver at least 300 sales/month (product price $69, industries - gaming and wellness).

We want to spend no more than $500 or so for initial deposit and setup fee (ideally no setup fee situation).

Btw, initially we accept only PayPal payment, so the network should be ok with that.

Any advice? Please share your experience with suggested network.

To clarify your question: you are offering a "digital product" in the "gaming and wellness categories" (I really don't understand this combo), and you're seeking to work with an affiliate network that will "market" your product and guarantee sales of $20,000 per month (300 x $69). You're only willing to pay $500 for setup and the initial deposit.

There is no such company.

Your budget is simply absurd.

Affiliate networks don't "market" your product for you; they provide a technology solution and serve as an intermediary for tracking, reporting, and payment. Some will also charge to recruit web publishers into your program. None will guarantee a particular result.

There are some "affiliate networks" which primarily focus on "CPA" (cost-per-action) offers, but they are usually not interested in "digital products" and usually won't work with "gaming" (gambling) offers.

You might benefit from checking out the OPM (outsourced program management) forums here, and contacting some OPMs to ask about their charges for advice.

It's possible (but very, very unlikely) that an OPM might consider working with you on a "pure performance" basis, so that they would be paid only based on actual sales transactions -- but no legitimate or credible affiliate network will provide services on that basis.

Most important, nobody can provide a guarantee of results. (If someone does, ask yourself how you'd collect on the guarantee if they failed to achieve the promised results.)

I'm curious how you'd expect to maintain your account balance, after the initial deposit is depleted? If you really do get 300 transactions per month (10 per day), you'd burn through a $500 deposit before the end of the first day -- but PayPal will hold your funds so you'd need to come up with thousands of dollars to replenish your affiliate-network deposit account, until the funds from earlier sales are released by PayPal. (And any hiccup in the payment chain could result in many days or even weeks of additional delay.)

A key question will be, "what is your unique value proposition?" I'll assume that "marketing" and "finance" are not your unique skill or strength, so I would need to accept that you have a remarkably compelling "digital product" -- which doesn't seem likely to me. The confident tone of your post is completely contradicted by your unwillingness to invest more than $500 upfront on marketing to generate $20,000 in monthly sales.
    Last edited by markwelch; January 5th, 2010 at 01:15 PM.

Affiliate Manager
    Mark, you are very quick on judgment (why would you need to guess about the quality of the product? did you have a bad day? :-) ) and it doesn't sound that you worked with many networks.

"They are usually not interested in "digital products" and usually won't work with "gaming". Absolutely. There are networks that specialize in gaming and some for whom it simply the most desired segment (note, gaming and gambling are 2 different birds). I know few large ones, a bit to large for our test.

"Affiliate networks don't "market" your product for you; they provide a technology solution and serve as an intermediary for tracking, reporting, and payment." Absolutely incorrect. Managed networks do push your offer through some of their affiliates. I am sorry, I've worked for one :-)

As merchants we have worked with large networks marketing other products... But with smaller ones... we want to test first before committing large deposit and then hunting for refund.

And I've never said that we will not replenish our account. We can easily put $10K next day as soon as we see the performance of the network. We don't need to wait for PayPal, we just need to see traffic and conversion.

I would appreciate some comments with a simple advice on the most relevant network for our soft launch, may be not 100% fit, but more or less.

Thank you in advance.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Sounds like you need to speak with pure CPA networks and not the cost per sale (retail) networks favored here. Have you spoken with Digital River?

Affiliate Manager
    Thank you, Chuck.
    Yes, looking into their terms...

getit wrote: > "Mark, you are very quick on judgment . . . " <

Agreed.

Affiliate Manager
    :-) Thank you, Mark.

Guys, what if we forget about digital nature of the product... and for example assume it's B2C service... Then CPS networks should not be excluded...
    Are there any networks that come on your mind from previous experience that performed well in this space and don't require large deposits or signup fees?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    getit, take a look at ShareASale.com for a low cost network to test your product.

I don't doubt that it can happen, but I seriously doubt that SAS will guarantee to:
    deliver at least 300 sales/month (product price $69, industries - gaming and wellness).
    SAS does not
    "market" your product for you; they provide a technology solution and serve as an intermediary for tracking, reporting, and payment."
    SAS may fit many of your cost requirements but you will need to recruit and manage your own affiliates.

Please keep in mind that this is a 2 month old thread.

I echo Mark's concerns from two months ago. Your budget is totally unrealistic. No networks is going to guarantee results, especially as absurd as what you're looking for and especially for as little money as you're willing to invest.

Affiliate marketing isn't a sprint. It's a marathon.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread