As an affiliate of a cruise ship company that offers a 15% commission, we recommended to a friend that he place his order through our affiliate link. We were credited only 1% - $20 instead of $300!

We rechecked the published commission offer posted on the commission company’s (CC) website. On the merchant's page, its description states "... earn 15% to 25% of the total commission generated on each sale!". Yet on the same page in "Action:Sale" section, it says the commission is 15% fixed. So we figured we were entitled to at least a 15% commission.

We called the CC to ask why we only received 1%. The CC rep said that there must be an error and said that he'd call the merchant to check into it and get back to us. We're still waiting...

In the mean time, we told our friend to cancel his order since we didn't receive what we were promised. Our friend called the merchant and told them the problem and the merchant said that we, the publisher, didn't understand what was really offered - 15% of the merchant's commission (as they’re just an agency), not 15% of the entire cruise price!

Do we have something to complain about or are we naïve? What would you recommend we do, if anything?

(BTW, our friend was told that there would be a $50 cancellation fee to cancel the cruise.)

Thanks for your thoughts!

Sounds kinda fishy to me. Why don't you post the merchant's name so we can evaluate the situation?

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, 15% of the agencys fee is also WAY low. Most of these places that book cruises (like TravelNow) split the revenue 50-50 with the affiliate.

I think it's one of those that when you read to fast, it says one thing, but when you read it again, you see what it means.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Earn 15% to 25% of the total commission generated on each sale. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It doesn't say "Earn 15% to 25% of the total sale." But doing the math, it looks like they receive 7% from the cruise line, then disperse 15% of that as (to best describe it) a 2nd tier commission.

As I understand it, alot of travel merchants use this setup with booking engines like TravelNow, and pay a commision on what they receive.
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

I need to get me some of those friends who are willing to make - and cancel - $3000 purchases on my recommendation.

Heck, it's all I can do to get them to buy from my Amazon links.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Earn 15% to 25% of the total commission generated on each sale. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Just a case of misinterpretation. You make 15% of the commission so if their commission is not high, your 1% seems right. Shameful to get such a small share of the price....

I hope I'm not breaking ABestWeb's rules by posting this information, but here goes:

The merchant is CruiseDirect.com

Here is the link to their page on CJ's website (if you don't have a CJ account, you won't be able to access this page):

https://members.cj.com/member/accoun...tiserId=965192

Here verbatim is the description:

&lt;quote&gt;
    Expand your site's offerings and earn substantial commissions! Travel is the fastest growing segment of e-commerce and the largest online retail market. When you join CruiseDirect, you'll earn substantial commissions selling the travel industry's most exciting and profitable category, CRUISES! Direct your visitors to CruiseDirect, and earn 15% to 25% of the total commission generated on each sale! As a Publisher of CruiseDirect, you will not only be earning cash, but you will be enhancing your site's offerings with CruiseDirect's unique travel content. And with CruiseDirect's TotalPay program you get paid for all sales - whether online or offline - because CruiseDirect requires all customers to go online to complete their transaction. Why wait? It is easy to join, easy to set-up, and most importantly, it works.

1. Action: Sale
    ActionCriteria Online Purchase.
    Action Referral Period 120 day(s)
    Action Referral Occurrences 1 time(s)
    Commission 15.00%
    &lt;/quote&gt;

"I think it's one of those that when you read to fast, it says one thing, but when you read it again, you see what it means."
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Earn 15% to 25% of the total commission generated on each sale.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scott,

Good catch, I see that sometimes we must reread the terms and not just join a merchant with-out understanding what it's the real commission.

Wired,

Thanks for posting the merchant's name since I am affiliated with them, at least now I will know how much I will get paid there.

Sal.

Thanks Jim for suggesting TravelNow. Their affiliate agreement states "You will be entitled to 1.5% of the gross amount, exclusive of tax charges, insurance, service fees, and customer adjustments, charged to customers based upon consumed cruise product bookings and on which IAN receives commission."

So I guess the 1% commission is in line with the industry standard if IAN's 1.5% (less taxes, fees, etc) is the standard.

It stings that I got taken by clever wording. But knowing that this is the standard makes it hurt less. I now know I need to be more vigilant in reading the fine print.

Just wanted to post a follow-up as I received a polite explanation from the merchant. Again, I admit that I was naive for not reading the wording more closely. Curious if you would have. Care to comment?

Reply from the merchant:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I am sorry for your confusion...

Our site spells it out...

"What You Get
    For every cruise vacation purchase made from your site, you'll earn 15% to 25% of the total commission generated on each sale!"

The commissionable fare is the cruise fare only. Port charges and taxes are not commissionable. Usually, we receive 10 - 16% commission from the cruiselines. You are earning 15 - 25% of the commission received.

Commissionable fare is a common term used in the travel business. It is also common knowledge in the cruise business that the commission is based on the cruise fare only.

In this situation: cruise fare 1,370.52
    port chges & taxes 475.94 NOT COMMISSIONABLE
    ------------
    TOTAL 1,846.46

As reported, the sale is $131.00 (this is 1370.52/131.00) which represents approx. 9.56% total commission. You received $19.68. This represents approx. 15.02%. This
    complies with our statement.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you can make 5% from a cruise deal, you're doing well, I've one like that and it's an independent. Any network sign-ups offer from 1-3% and/or have a whole range of "this doesn't count - that dosen't count .." etc.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread