Question Search Function
    I've just installed my first popshop onto a wordpress blog and I've selected about 15 relevant products for my blog. However I selected the search function to show at the top of the page.

When testing the search by simply entering the word "red" it brings back red colored products however they are random products from the whole of the merchants database of products. These products are not relevant for my site. I thought in searching the results would be based on the 15 items that I have in my own hand picked product shop?

Is there a setting to stop any old product being displayed?

Make sure your settings are set to "Narrow" and not "Broad" for the search because broad search ignores categories. It's on the same screen where you select where to show the search box.

It's not on the preferences/search tab for me. The only place I can see an option for broad or narrow is when selecting the autofeed option?
    Should autofeed be set at all?
    I want my shop to have 36 products with 4 columns and 6 rows. But they don't seem to go onto a second page unless autofeed is set to narrow or broad?

Don't use autofeed if you want the products you select to show on your first page. Choose Narrow to stay in the same merchant/category.

That's been one of the major downfalls to getting decent search results. (well, that and the fact that only the product name and brand are searched). Sometimes I wonder if the autofeed settings really do influence search results.

Autofeed settings definitely influence the search results. 2busy had it right that 'narrow' restricts additional products to the merchant/category of products in the shop. Sometimes this doesn't help if you have a merchant with very large categories, or no categories at all.

The 'broad' autofeed option only restricts the products to the merchants, and ignores category data completely.

Both 'broad' and 'narrow' use any keywords provided to help pull in products. This can often lead to non-relevant products coming into the shop.

For example, if you are in shopbuilder and start browsing a merchant, without specifying a keyword, and then add a product to your shop, the product is added, but no keyword is set. So if you have autofeed on, it only knows to include that merchant's products. It doesn't apply any keyword against the merchant to help narrow those down. If you have your autofeed set to broad, or the merchant has ill defined categories then you could potentially just be pulling in all products from that merchant.

If you start in shobuilder by searching on a keyword, and then add a product, the keyword will be saved and applied when 'autofeeding' in other products.

You can also open the autofeed preference tab and manually add keywords. This usually helps in pulling in more relevant products.

Do you mean:
    Search results with a visitors uses "Find Product" on a shop?
    or
    Search results that autofeed applies to come up with more pages of product?

I should have made that more clear. :-)

Search results that autofeed applies to come up with more pages of product?

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread