Need ideas for monetizing a Bread Machine site
    I've got a niche website that sells bread machines.

I'm wondering if there are any good affiliate programs that would be a good fit for my readers.

Here's a sample page / post from the breadmachine site.

breadmachinesandrecipes.com/panasonic-sd255-breadmaker/panasonic-sdyd250-homemade-bread-and-kids-go-together/

Keywords: breadmachines kids recipes reviews

I've looked around commission junction and don't see anything appropriate.

I'd appreciate any ideas. I want to take the adsense block out because most of them just take my readers to other sites that sell bread machines.

Thanks,
    Gretchen
    Last edited by MichaelColey; January 6th, 2010 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Unlinked

Why not do some reviews/comparisons of various bread machines and link to them at Amazon.com or Cooking.com (or a myriad of other stores that sell kitchen appliances).

Cooking/Recipe magazines (Taste of Home, Cook's Illustrated, Fine Cooking, Saveur, etc.) might also be a good fit.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Great suggestions Michael. What do you mean by 'link them at Amazon.com/Cooking.com" are you saying I write a review in their product review section and include the link to my article?

Some sites/stores aren't going to have a user comment or review section I presume.

I'll see if I can find affiliate links to these magazines, but I wonder if the commission payout would be worth sending people away from my site.

A real exciting recurring income affiliate that attracted my target reader would be more compelling.

No, I'm talking about putting affiliate links up (which, looking closer, it looks like you already do).

How much commission do you make with a $120 breadmaker at 7%? ($8.40) How much commission do you make on an $18 magazine at 40%? ($7.20) Which do you think is easiest to sell? It's worth trying anyway.

You might want to put your site up for a review. I found the front page cluttered and confusing and very few of the recipes actually needed a breadmaker. The first half were all dips and jellies. I see a lot of potential with the site, though!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    Hi Gretchen -- there are lots of things you could do if you think outside of the box a little. Don't just focus on literal "bread machines". I couldn't stand having a separate bread making machine and instead bought a high end Bosch mixer. (allbrands.com has one on CJ.com) They have tons of attachments that work with Bosch and also Kitchen-Aids work great for making bread (not kneaded as well as with a Bosch but usable still the same). What about those who want to make bread (the "recipes" part of your site) but don't want to own another machine to clutter their counter? Rolling pins? Mixing bowls?

How about yeasts (SAF yeast), special bread mixes (think Williams Sonoma has some over on Linkshare or CJ), even cool little loaf pans for use after mixing up your dough to cook in the oven. I used to mix dough for cinnamon rolls in the bread mixer then cook traditionally in the oven. That throws in jelly roll pans, bread pans, the silpat mats (the non-stick ones you stick on cookie sheets like Martha Stewart always uses).

And how about cool canisters for all of the dry ingredients! I grind my own wheat when making wheat bread -- a good wheat grinder runs $100+. Aprons keep you all neat and tidy when dealing with flour.

Any links to food sites that sell mixins for breads? Nuts, dried fruits, etc? What about bread baggies for homemade loaves? Even breadboxes? Cute notecards to accompany a fresh baked loaf for a friend?

An article on the proper type of knife to use for cutting bread to keep it from squishing? A great breadboard to serve your bread up on (like the cool ones at Outback Restaurants with the little cups for whipped butter)?

I guess what I'm saying is not to focus sooooo much on just the handful of machines but what a breadmaker (as in the person) needs to make the bread. And, those who make their own bread probably enjoy baking so even create a "take a bread break" and throw in something else fun to do in the kitchen!

Best of luck!

Bonnie

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Ah Crap!

Thought we were talking about printing money -

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Hi Gretchen,

CSN stores on ShareASale has an awesome selection of bread makers and an AMAZING affiliate manager running the show over there!

Here is a link to their sign up page: http://www.ShareASale.com/ShareASale...rchantID=11035

Please let me know if you ever need any additional assistance!
    Jason Rubacky - CEO/SEO Nerd at PassTheSEO
    jason at passtheseo dot com
    @jasonrubacky

but I wonder if the commission payout would be worth sending people away from my site.
    Regardless of the payout, if they're going to buy... you may as well take the referral fee. If you aren't the one that refers them, the payout to you is $0.00.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Quote Originally Posted by RemodelingGuy
    Ah Crap!

Thought we were talking about printing money -
    A unique affiliate site is akin to printing money. Put the "right stuff" in print (online) and someone will send you commission$. There is excellent potential in a "foodie" niche market such as bread machines.

(For example, I have a simple little site that sells onion choppers - no maintenance and not a whole bunch of sales - but it consistently produces commissions and I haven't touched it in over a year.)
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread