Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    For those of you remarking about the COLD (in that other thread) ...
    That "other thread" being here: CLICKY

There are only 72 days until Spring!
    Twenty percent of the winter of 2009 is now behind us. Tomorrow will have 1 minute and 16 seconds longer daylight than today. Yes, the days are getting "longer."

However, because of the "inertial lag" of weather systems, the typical "coldest two weeks" of a North American winter lie just ahead...

(I'm glad we'll be in Vegas for six days out of that two weeks. )
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Good Info Bill, makes me feel warmer already
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Manager - Affiliate Marketing Patrick Vesperman's Avatar
    Bill - thanks for the positive note. Spring is my favorite time of year (even in Minnesota where we usually get about a week of spring!)...time for regrowth, renewal and better things to come.

Oh man I can't wait to be out climbing and biking again!! Spring Spring come and stay. . .winter die and go away!

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks for the positive note. We have another day of below freezing weather expected here. Our "winters" are usually mild so we really should not complain when we have 3 days of freezing weather. I do miss summer though.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Froze my butt off going to the store..

Might have been something to do with wearing flip flops...

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR -

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Froze my butt off going to the store.
    Me too, but the upside was that I was going for Gumbo fix-ins. Yum - Yum

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    Me too, but the upside was that I was going for Gumbo fix-ins. Yum - Yum
    Ditto that. Just got back - Mrs. Beachy needed some ingredients for some homemade soup. She makes the best soups - so the bitter cold and biting wind and the trek across four blocks of icy sidewalks - will be well worth it in another hour or so.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

I live in Minneapolis and it's crazy cold here. Windchills near 20 below. So I say a big Whaaaaa to everyone else complaining about the cold in florida and other boiling places.

So, while 20% of insanity they call Winter is over, there's still 80% left of winter in the madnees of our winter in the north.
    I know I only have myself to blame for where I live and I think the people in this state who say they love the change in seasons are in denial .

Its 15 with a wind chill of 8 here.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

This thread needs some snow pictures. Here's one:

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    Its 15 with a wind chill of 8 here.

That's pretty cold for you guys. Do you guys have furnaces there...just kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    This thread needs some snow pictures. Here's one:
    Love that pic. Makes feel right at home. Wait a minute....all I need to do is look otside my window and can see the same scene.

January is bad luck for us. Last January we got hit by the ice storm and lost just about all the limbs on the trees in our yard and were without power for 5 days with tempertures in the teens.

We would sit in the car with it running to get warm and we had to drive to Tennessee to get gas and food.

January is bad luck for us. Last January we got hit by the ice storm and lost just about all the limbs on the trees in our yard and were without power for 5 days with tempertures in the teens.

We would sit in the car with it running to get warm and we had to drive to Tennessee to get gas and food.
    Yikes. You need to move to Minnesota where we're prepared for that type of weather. Then you would ahve to live with this weather for 3 to 4 months...LOL.

I actually grew up in an even colder place which is -7.4 degrees with a windchill fo -21 degrees this evening. That place is Winnipeg, Manaitoba, Canada.

I was stationed in Chitose, Japan on the island of Hakkido for three years in the Army.

We were only 200 miles from Siberia and there was nothing but open sea from us to there. We had 10 month of good skiing conditions, 1 month of fair skiing conditions and 1 month of mud each year.

At least 9 months each year the actual temperature was between -25 to -35 degrees.

We would get around 30 feet of snow each winter and the drifts would be over the roof of your house. They would have to pick us up to go to work with Arctic Snow Cats.

Our sister city in the US was Fairbanks, Alaska.

The warmest it got while I was there was 69 during the mud month one year.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; January 8th, 2010 at 09:49 PM.

I was stationed in Chitose, Japan on the island of Hakkido for three years in the Army.

We were only 200 miles from Siberia and there was nothing but open sea from us to there. We had 10 month of good skiing conditions, 1 month of fair skiing conditions and 1 month of mud each year.

At least 9 months each year the actual temperature was between -25 to -35 drgrees.

We would get around 30 feet of snow each winter and the drifts would be over the roof of your house. They would have to pick us up to go to work with Arctic Snow Cats.

Our sister city in the US was Fairbanks, Alaska.

The warmest it got while I was there was 69 during the mud month one year.
    Well.......

That explains a few un-answered questions .....

edit: My Siberian Husky must be holding back the poopy, 'cause he won't go outside in this cold weather....

He's a big wuss......

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )

BurgerBoy,
    That's absolutely nuts. 3 years of that? At least there's a place with worse weather than here.

Thanks, bibby. That's actually an old picture. But the same tree looked just as neat this morning - and we only had an inch or so of snow today.

But after reading your comments and BurgerBoy's comments - I better shut my mouth when it comes to talking "cold." I complain about temps in the teens and you two are used to teens BELOW zero.

Our "normal" temperature for this date in Baltimore is 41. (But on January 8, 2008 this date experienced temps in the low 70s.) Ya never know what kind of mood Mother Nature will be in during winter around here.

It was extra cold here today. When I woke up, it was in the teens outside plus 20-30 mph winds, and the temperature in the house had dropped to the low 60s. I tried to turn the fireplace on in the living room and it wouldn't turn on so I started disassembling it to figure out what was wrong. In the meantime, my wife started cooking breakfast and the burners looked like they were on low. Then we put 1+1+1 together and figured out that our gas pressure had dropped. We checked with a few neighbors and it looked like the whole neighborhood. A few hours later, the pressure started to return so we relit all the pilots and started to thaw back out.

By this evening, it was up to a balmy 30 degrees (with no wind!) and I was able to go out to grill steaks without needing a jacket!

One more night of cold, then we're supposed to be back to normal here in Texas starting tomorrow afternoon.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Thanks, bibby. That's actually an old picture. But the same tree looked just as neat this morning - and we only had an inch or so of snow today.

But after reading your comments and BurgerBoy's comments - I better shut my mouth when it comes to talking "cold." I complain about temps in the teens and you two are used to teens BELOW zero.

Our "normal" temperature for this date in Baltimore is 41. (But on January 8, 2008 this date experienced temps in the low 70s.) Ya never know what kind of mood Mother Nature will be in during winter around here.
    I was just giving you a hard time. A friend of mine who I grew up with in Canada and also lived in Minneapolis moved to Baltimore 2 years ago with his family. He's also complaining about weather.

I guess it's what you're used to.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    By this evening, it was up to a balmy 30 degrees (with no wind!) and I was able to go out to grill steaks without needing a jacket!
    Must be a gas grill man.....

Real Texans don't use gas Mike.

We go out into the woods and get some Mesquite.......

Michael,
    It's just not right that certain places are receiving colder than normal temps. My theory is if you're smart enough to live in normal weather, you shouldn't have abnormally low cold spells...LOL.

I just saw the snow pic and thought I might add a little contrast with a photo I took the other day :-D

Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I just saw the snow pic and thought I might add a little contrast with a photo I took the other day :-D

I'd give my left toe, just to be somewhere THAT beautiful and have the opportunity to take a pic like that.....

WOW!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast