Wordpress Plugins That Add Value for Your Visitors
    I was looking for plugins / widgets that would add some value for my visitors without too much fear that it would encourage them to click on the widget instead of my links (Rather selfish, I know, but what can I say?)

A simple one right off the bat is for quotes and could easily apply to any niche. I chose the "Quotes Collection" plugin. It has the ability to reload the next quote using ajax. I filled it with tips instead of quotes directly related to my site's topic. Hopin' it'll help a tiny bit too with more words on the page.

Some others I saw:

"Real Estate Q&A" - Thought it sounded interesting. Questions and answers about real estate. Has a income stream possibilty, and links back to your site from other sites if you source a question. There was no link to the plugin homepage, so I couldn't check it out too much. You're on your own to do that.

"WP-Forecast" - Shows the weather forecast from accuweather or weatherbug

I remember seeing one about Top football teams for London....

a current guestbook...wow do people still use them? I guess a nice little "Hey I was here, I'm gonna go buy a widget now" would be sweet to see first thing in the morning, lol

"Body Mass Indicator Calculator" - great for health related sites

Countdown timer - might be useful for some with events / holidays

Of course there are the video and photo plugins, which are more useful for Fat affiliate sites

You guys know of any more?
    Last edited by suzie250; January 8th, 2010 at 03:03 AM. Reason: spelling
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

I think useful plugins would be ones that would help your user around the site. Like a cloud tag plugin so they can see off the bat what others have been looking for (herd instinct lol) and anything that makes using your site easier. I got an advermail a few weeks ago stating "No More Unsupervised Thinking on Your Site!" I read that mail. lol! The gist of the matter is, don't distract the user with "stuff" and don't distract with "too much". Tell him what to do and don't give him another option than that which he should do. Most often, they will comply and conversions should increase.

So maybe it is not a good idea to give the user perceived added value that may not be added value at all, but a distraction. I.e. the user sees the weather widget on your site for his city, and then thinks, wow, wonder what the weather is like in (city-of-choice) where Mom is right now? Opens a tab to look for weather.com or whatever and starts clicking from there and forgets your site.

Ok, ok, I am a gemini and have too much imagination, but this is pretty much how I surf "unsupervised"... When I shut down my Firefox I generally have about 12 tabs open, some have slid to the left and on shutting them down I think "oh damn, I wanted to see that site. Ok, tomorrow..."

Found a few more:

"Give a Beer" - Could be fun for visitors! Hope this one works, I have a site for it.

"Sermon Browser" - allows churches to simply upload sermons to their website. Could be useful to get visitors back if there is no issue using it, not being a church.

"wp-polls" - duh, forgot about this one. Promotes interaction for visitors and can give you some insight about visitors depending on your poll.
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

Quote Originally Posted by suzie250
    Found a few more:

"Give a Beer" - Could be fun for visitors! Hope this one works, I have a site for it.

"Sermon Browser" - allows churches to simply upload sermons to their website. Could be useful to get visitors back if there is no issue using it, not being a church.

"wp-polls" - duh, forgot about this one. Promotes interaction for visitors and can give you some insight about visitors depending on your poll.
    wp-polls was actually the one that I was coming here to post about. I find it most effective on my sites that have a little higher traffic already.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread