Question First click crediting or Last click crediting?
    Hi guys,
    I manage an affiliate program that is on multiple networks and I wanted to pick your brains on what's the best way to go as far as giving credit for sales would go.

Obviously, I can't pay out a commission twice for an order that involves two publishers from two different networks in the clickstream leading to the sale (i.e. A user clicks on an affiliate link from Publisher A from Network X, doesn't buy yet, but later in the day clicks on another affiliate link from Publisher B from Network Y).

I'm torn between two schools of thought: Credit the publisher who referred a sale first because, after all, that publisher's link created "awareness" for your product or brand.

or

Credit the publisher who referred the sale last because that publisher's link (probably better copy/presentation/a bunch of other factors) is what compelled the visitor to buy

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this!

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Last click.

-Avoid BHO by all means!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe
    Last click.

-Avoid BHO by all means!
    +1 Yep, last click and avoid the BHO Parasites.

Your "a bunch of other factors" is where the parasites com into play. If you allow them into your program a lot of serious affiliates will NOT be in your program.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe
    Last click.

-Avoid BHO by all means!
    I'm not sure if any of you have tried implementing Last Click logic on SaS. For me, it becomes problematic because SaS requires merchants to display their tracking pixel when you credit a sale to a SaS merchant and another pixel that automatically voids a transaction when you don't.

I'm getting a lot of inquiries on why their sales have been voided because of a "Multi-network policy" and had a few drop out because of the number of voids they get--sometimes even accusing us of voiding sales for no reason.

It's not an SAS "problem" - the programming can be worked out. However that is a good example of why a lot of good affiliates will NOT work with programs on multiple networks.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

Last Click gets the sale.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    It's not an SAS "problem" - the programming can be worked out. However that is a good example of why a lot of good affiliates will NOT work with programs on multiple networks.
    Care to enlighten me on how the programming can be worked out?

That would have to be between you and the SAS tech team. (and/or maybe with the tech team at the other network(s)). I haven't seen the concern about the "voids" in other posts, so other merchants' carts must have something in place to control the tracking pixels.

You mentioned having a "few drop out" because of a multi-network policy - just imagine that some (how many?) may not have joined in the first place - knowing that there are often problems when programming is not done correctly.

I am by no means an expert. But I have been an affiliate for ten years and have seen a lot of "stuff." That's why, when we decided to open our merchant program, we had already decided on one network and one network only.

We do have something in place--logic that controls which network pixels to fire on our confirmation page based on the last-referring network/publisher.

SaS is the only network that requires us to display their tracking pixel all the time. This means that it's either:

a.) We display the tracking pixel for a valid sale

or

b.) display a tracking pixel that automatically voids the sale (for sales not referred last by SaS)--This means that the affiliate will see the amount of the sale he/she didn't get paid for in his account with a "voided - Multi-network policy" status.

I really can't blame affiliates for being disheartened by this. I probably would be too considering I know that sale could've been mine.

Just a thought, and it might sound like a lot of work but.... probably a crazy idea...

Look at what wolfcamera and cameraworld do (and I think there's one more in site as well). They just have multiple sites, using multiple domains, selling the same products.

If you did something like that and promoted 1 site per network, then you wouldn't have the original issue?. Could solve more problems as well, such as affiliates not signing up because your on multiple networks or dropping you because of reversals.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeVillar
    b.) display a tracking pixel that automatically voids the sale (for sales not referred last by SaS)--This means that the affiliate will see the amount of the sale he/she didn't get paid for in his account with a "voided - Multi-network policy" status.

I really can't blame affiliates for being disheartened by this. I probably would be too considering I know that sale could've been mine.
    But that's OK, many of us like to see this. It reminds us why we prefer not to work with merchants on multiple networks.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

I like the way SAS does it, although I'm not confident that all multi-network merchants comply. It gives affiliates more visibility into what's happening.

Take a VERY close look at those affiliates on other networks who are grabbing the sale. I bet you'll find some parasites, cookie stuffers, and other unethical actions going on. (I'm not saying ALL of them are, just that you should be taking a closer look.)
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Its called "conditional representation": http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...06&postcount=5

Wasn't aware that SAS requires their pixel to be present on all thank you pages. Can someone clarify this? Would be a deal killer for running a SAS program to me, just like LS trying to force exclusivity.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread