Ok, here is an example of what Ive been talking about:

CJ STATS (this is for ALL our sites and ALL CJ merchants we were using)

DECEMBER ONLY-
    Web site All web sites
    Period This Month
    Commission earned $19.72
    Sales 13

Now, here is just ONE of our merchants for the SAME period but for only ONE of our sites:
    46 (sales) = $1549.48 154.95 (commission)

Here is another of our merchants for the SAME period for just ONE of our sites:
    01-DEC-02
    $1,210.75 (shipped merchandise)
    $177.94 (commission)
    31 (sales)
    $1,588.30 (booked but not shipped merchandise)

Keep in mind that these other merchants have only ONE day or session only cookies while our average CJ merchant had about 30-45 days. Imagine if these other merchants had longer cookies.

I am no longer a cookie shopper. Im going for the cash!

Also, I should add that none of the CJ merchants appeared on the ebates list or the list of any other parasites.

So, what do we attribute this to??

I dont know. Could be tracking, could be lack of merchant integrity, could be the fact that CJ links and images are slow as mollasses, could be some serious skimming going on from who knows what end.

The website that I am referring to that we have that is producing all these sales currently has less than 200 visitors a day.

Now, what do you think about that?

Can anyone figure out WHY these things are happening??

Also, one last thing, I had actually avoided these other merchants because of their cookie durations and the fact that they were not part of a "network".

How stupid was that!

How Many Sales Are YOU Missing Out On?

Are You Spending More Time Trying to Track Down Lost Commissions Than Spending Money?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Da-yum, you must have an unerring Dud Merchant Picker when it comes to your CJ signups!

My stats for this month so far, for 2 places:

CJ

554 Transactions (mostly sales)
    Commission $3,837.09

A Seasonal Independant

35 Transactions
    $103.00

quote:

Also, I should add that none of the CJ merchants appeared on the ebates list or the list of any other parasites.

CASH IS KING! You're right about that part.

If there are two similar merchants and one's got a cookie advantage, I will pick that one. But that's a secondary consideration. And I don't base my picks on any parasite lists. If I figure I can make money, the links go on. It'd take more than some parasites to whack the profit off of a good merchant, and a dud's a dud whether they have fleas or not.

quote:
    The website that I am referring to that we have that is producing all these sales currently has less than 200 visitors a day.

Been there, done that. Low-traffic sites are efficient that way. There's not so many dud clicks.

>>Can anyone figure out WHY these things are happening??

Without knowing which merchants are involved, I could only guess. UNLESS you picked ones with low EPCs, few dollar signs, and/or high chargeback rates--Then I could say "you picked duds!" and I'd be right for sure. But if they have decent network-wide stats...who knows? Your question is like calling a mechanic and saying your engine is "going 'knock-knock-knock'"--there isn't enough data available for me to venture more than wild guesses!

Still, one guess despite the "black box" effect: You may have a different type of indie merchant, than you have of CJ merchants. It can be like comparing birds to elephants if the merchants aren't similarly situated in the marketplace and selling similar items.

>>Also, one last thing, I had actually avoided these other merchants because of their cookie durations

The importance of cookies varies greatly depending on the product. Personally, though, I prefer higher commissions to long cookies! I think a lot of people are too concerned about cookie duration, except for items that buyers would "think about" before shelling out for.

>>>and the fact that they were not part of a "network".

>>How stupid was that!

That all depends on whether the others actually pay or not! I've had indies go both ways...enough that I don't get toooo excited about the stats screen of an indie until the first check shows up and I cash it.

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song

quote:
    Originally posted by Leader:
    Da-yum, you must have an unerring Dud Merchant Picker when it comes to your CJ signups!

My stats for this month so far, for 2 places:

CJ

554 Transactions (mostly sales)
    Commission $3,837.09

A Seasonal Independant

35 Transactions
    $103.00

quote:

_CASH IS KING!_ You're right about that part.

If there are two _similar_ merchants and one's got a cookie advantage, I will pick that one. But that's a secondary consideration. And I don't base my picks on any parasite lists. If I figure I can make money, the links go on. It'd take more than some parasites to whack the profit off of a good merchant, and a dud's a dud whether they have fleas or not.

quote:

Been there, done that. Low-traffic sites are efficient that way. There's not so many dud clicks.

>>Can anyone figure out WHY these things are happening??

Without knowing which merchants are involved, I could only guess. UNLESS you picked ones with low EPCs, few dollar signs, and/or high chargeback rates--Then I could say "you picked duds!" and I'd be right for sure. But if they have decent network-wide stats...who knows? Your question is like calling a mechanic and saying your engine is "going 'knock-knock-knock'"--there isn't enough data available for me to venture more than wild guesses!

Still, one guess despite the "black box" effect: You may have a different type of indie merchant, than you have of CJ merchants. It can be like comparing birds to elephants if the merchants aren't similarly situated in the marketplace and selling similar items.

>>Also, one last thing, I had actually avoided these other merchants because of their cookie durations

The importance of cookies varies greatly depending on the product. Personally, though, I prefer higher commissions to long cookies! I think a lot of people are too concerned about cookie duration, except for items that buyers would "think about" before shelling out for.

>>>and the fact that they were not part of a "network".

>>How stupid was that!

That all depends on whether the others actually pay or not! I've had indies go both ways...enough that I don't get toooo excited about the stats screen of an indie until the first check shows up and I cash it.

As far as merchants and products, they are all almost identical.

They are very targeted to one specific category.

I dont know if they are "dud" merchants and I dont bother with the EPC mostly because CJ has bestowed upon me a low EPC and I know what I can generate.

As we have already found out, first there was the shaving of the commissions from TFAW and if they (and other merchants) have a way of doing that without CJ caring much, who knows WHAT ELSE cj merchants are doing.

I guess they have to recoup those high network fees from somewhere huh?

I still havent been credited, nor do I expect to and as a matter of fact, with only 13 sales showing, that were actually REPORTED I guess it wont even matter much at this point.

But I wasnt about to be dumb enough to give them free x-mas traffic as well.

If I am wrong, correct me.

Advertisers can group publishers differently without we publishers knowing how we are grouped.
    True or False

Publishers in one group may not be given access to the same links as publishers in another group.
    True or False

Whether by error or intention, not all links track.
    True or False

One publisher may have a good experience with a given advertiser assigned to one group while another publisher who is in a different group may have a bad experience with that same advertiser.
    True or False

We publishers are not all treated the same by some advertisers or by cj.
    True or False

This statement is false.
    True or False.

Just has to throw that last one in.

Anyway, hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and a great New Year.

Chuck at sayata

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'll just bold the choices I believe to be correct. It'll save me a bit of retyping...

Advertisers can group publishers differently without we publishers knowing how we are grouped.
    True or False

Although sometimes it can be discerned, which group you've ended up in.

Publishers in one group may not be given access to the same links as publishers in another group.
    True or False

I think this is a "new functionality"...

Whether by error or intention, not all links track.
    True or False
    (Although I think the incidence of nontracking is vastly overstated by some...)

>>>One publisher may have a good experience with a given advertiser assigned to one group while another publisher who is in a different group may have a bad experience with that same advertiser.
    True or False

On this one, I don't know, so I didn't bold either "true" or "false". I remembered the answers to your other questions from various info in the "learn at CJU" section at CJ, and from posts made here at ABW by CJ employees. But I don't recall this particular scenario being addressed, so all I can do is speculate that merchants would compare affs' performance against some sort of baseline before determining any groupings. Merchants aren't all logical, though (to say the least)...some may indeed have the cart before the horse!

>>We publishers are not all treated the same by some advertisers or by cj.
    True or False

DEFINITELY true! Pound in some serious sales to the right merchants, and those merchants (ie, the good ones) will actually reward you with bonuses! And higher commission percentages! THAT kind of treatment difference is Sweeeet... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] With a decent merchant it takes a while to get there, though, because the good merchants have more affiliates to compete against for those top positions!

This statement is false.
    True or False.

It's neither true nor false since it doesn't have an "argument" (or, to use a different word, a "proposition"). [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too!

And if anybody's wondering--no, I don't, and never have, worked for CJ! I just read up on most of the changes at CJ so I don't find out By Surprise later. Beats watching infomercials...

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread