Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    There used to be a thread somewhere on ABW where people were discussing what they call themselves when asked their job title. Well, my wife pointed out this definition of a copywriter to me today:

"noun: a person employed to write advertising or publicity copy"

This sounds like a pretty good description of Affiliate marketing doesn't it? We are "employed" as outside contractors (self-employed) with compensation paid to us based on the performance of our copywriting skills (commissions).

I just never would have thought of myself as a copywriter.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

ABW Ambassador
    We do affiliate marketing therefore we are affiliate marketers I don't get too caught up in the different names, publisher, advertiser, affiliate, partner but the one IMO that fits us best is affiliate marketer. We market merchants to our site visitors.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I wouldn't call myself a copywriter, because that's only one of the ways to go about doing this. Plus, copywriters typically charge whether anyone buys anything or not--they're paid for the writing itself. Actual deployment of what the copywriter produces (putting it in ads, press releases, whatever) is up to the buyer.

Affiliate marketing goes way beyond the actual writing of sales copy. It's up to us to get it seen, it has to be effective or there's no commish, and where to use the ad is our decision. And, there are even ways to do AM that don't use what would normally be considered "promotional" copy.

I always tell Uncle Sam I'm an "Internet Marketer," myself. Affiliate Marketer would also be accurate.

In any case, to the chagrin of some members here, what we really do is ADVERTISING.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

The best affiliates are probably some Frankensteinian combo of direct marketing copywriters and online content publishers.

They are also kind of reverse media planners, in that they are selecting the ad units to match with their content.

ABW Ambassador
    For every 100 affiliates, there could quite easily be 100 different definitions of what they do. There are so many diferent facets to this business, you can make a living doing a lot of different things.

What you call yourself really depends on what you spend most of your business time doing.

The proof is in my expanding waist-line, I spend most of my business time sitting down and eating. So I suppose I am an affiliate potato instead of a couch potato

I always cut to the chase....

I'm self-employed first everything else second!

JOe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

I agree with that
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

Hi everyone,
    Here is my two cents...I think we are all a little bit of everything, and in this industry with everything changing so much, our titles will change a million times in a week.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread