Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Quite impressed with Mystique but what other themes are good for Wordpress?
    Hey guys,

So I have been working largely on turning my blog into a bit of a "playground" as some would say at the moment. I have been playing with a few themes and have stuck with mystique, however i have found some problems with it.

1. Is that the resolution on the font is not as clear as i like, ie the edges around letters such as s or d or co or g are not perfect rather a little squarish. I hope this makes sense lol.

I am looking for a theme that has some dark sophistication, even if you dont know any like that what themes do you really like

Cheers

There's FlexiThemes & they offer some free themes.

They offer a "Modern Style"
    Modern Style is free premium WordPress theme, suitable for any type of website with theme options at admin panel. As you can see, it is also the theme we are using currently for our homepage.
    http://flexithemes.com/themes/modern-style/
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I've used Atahualpa before, which is 100% customizable. They give you a canvas to start with and you can easily modify almost anything in the theme without touching core files.

I'm a theme junkie myself. I switch themes on a pretty regular basis.

If you don't mind paying a little bit for your themes, there are some really great premium themes available these days. The trick is, you have to decide how much customization you are interested in doing yourself. For example, Thesis is great... but you better be ready to tweak and test and tweak and test...

For some off-the-shelf themes that look really nice, check out:
    woothemes . com
    studiopress . com
    elegantthemes . com

I'd also suggest checking out weblogtoolscollection . com and subscribe to their RSS. They routinely write posts where they display some of the latest free and premium themes that are making the rounds. I have found a ton of great themes thanks to them.

Cheers.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Hey cool idea for a thread. I recently used "Panorama" on a new wordpress install and really liked how easy it was to customize and dial in.

http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/panorama

Quote Originally Posted by gcarson
    I've used Atahualpa before, which is 100% customizable. They give you a canvas to start with and you can easily modify almost anything in the theme without touching core files.
    Forgot to mention, the free forum support with this theme is fantastic. For someone like me who isn't a website guy, they were extremely helpful.

Atahualpa is great but felt it was a bit heavy for my needs most of the time. It's like buying a Rolls Royce when you only need a bicycle. :>)

I've been playing with Thematic, but I wouldn't recommend it to a newbie.
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I am really enjoying wordtube, a video focussed theme.... check out my sig for the current site I am using it on.....
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Does anyone know of any good free theme websites that offer two column themes?

Quote Originally Posted by andyparks16
    Does anyone know of any good free theme websites that offer two column themes?
    Have you checked out the WordPress repository?

http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/

All sorts of free themes in there with all sorts of variables (2 column, 3 column, etc...)

The best 2 or 3 column free theme in my opinion is Core by Brian Gardner of Studio Press fame. You can do about anything with it:

http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/core

See how it was transformed to Jason Rubacky's site www.jasonrubacky.com - sweet, huh?

I also like:

StudioPress (all are good)
    iThemes - especially Flexx
    Headway Themes
    Elegant Themes

Hope this helps!

^ I dont mind that but prob not the look I am going for, thanks anyway

I've used Atahualpa before, which is 100% customizable.
    I like that about Atahualpa, too

I have dealt with two supposedly "highly customizable" WP themes -- Thesis and Atahualpa.

1. I requested and received my Thesis refund within a week. Just too darned goofy trying to "retrain" myself to think "hooks" instead of PHP/CSS modifications. Gave up when I spent 8 hours trying to add a background image behind the blog name/slogan area and never got it to work.

2. Atahualpa always tempts me, then I discover I'm not clever enough to sort out the overwhelming numbers of options in the theme admin area. Besides, no matter how I've tried to modify it, Atahualpa always looks the same to me? And I believe I had the same problem with Atahualpa I had with Thesis: Couldn't tweak the header area to give me a decent looking custom image behind the site title/slogan.

Ah, well.
    Generate more fake news.

I really liked the idea of Thesis as well. The ability to tweak everything under the sun all from your control panel. Sounds great... until you want to do something that isn't a single push of a button or twist of a knob.

Over a period of two weeks I installed Thesis on a few sites and by the time I did the third site, I had a pretty good feel for how it worked. But, after not being involved with the site for a few weeks, it was like going back to square one again.

I personally won't go back to using Thesis again. Atahualpa, sorry, but you are in the same boat, too.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary-AvantLink
    Hey cool idea for a thread. I recently used "Panorama" on a new wordpress install and really liked how easy it was to customize and dial in.

http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/panorama
    There was a great thread early or mid last year that I just can't find about Wordpress themes that I found helpful...

Anyone remember it?

Can you find it?

It was a good, long, detailed thread.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

I've not tried Thesis but used Atahualpa for awhile. As others have said, it's just too complicated.

I've got better things to do with my time than spend literally hours trying to adjust things.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHawkins
    I personally won't go back to using Thesis again. Atahualpa, sorry, but you are in the same boat, too.
    Well, at least Atahualpa is FREE.

One other really bizarre thing I saw about Thesis was that people are creating "skins" to let you quickly make Thesis look like a different theme. Yes, actually creating a quicky theme to fit over the supposedly quicky Thesis theme.

Isn't that sort of inventing a cover to put over a cover covering a cover that covers ... uh, well, you get the idea?
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    Well, at least Atahualpa is FREE.
    Oh, so I can waste time at no charge? Where do I sign up???

I love love love the idea of child themes (or skins). This goes back to my comment about getting familiar under the hood on a specific product. Assuming that you have a bunch of WordPress sites, install the same base theme on all of them and then use Child themes to make it sing and dance the way you want. Changes and updates should be quicker for you since you don't have to go digging all over trying to figure out where things are happening.

With all that said, I don't know that child themes for Thesis are the answer either. But hey, I'd love to be proved wrong.

And I believe I had the same problem with Atahualpa I had with Thesis: Couldn't tweak the header area to give me a decent looking custom image behind the site title/slogan.
    If you're still working with Atahualpa, I'd be happy to try and help out. I'm no expert at all but have managed to make my header look like nothing like Atahualpa standard.

I have no web design background. graphics background or anything else. I can barely use Paint to edit images. When I first started designing a website, I thought you used Photoshop to build your site? And that time wasn't that long ago. I think if you want to have your own theme and have a little time and vision, this theme is great.

On the subject of Atahualpa, there are just two or three things about the theme that I would like to IMMEDIATELY understand/change/move to get off to a good start. Maybe gcarson or any other atahualpa users out there can respond.

1. How do you get rid of those annoying little gray vertical bars alongside items listed in the sidebar? They look terrible to me.

2. How do you generally avoid the crowded, stacked-on-top-of-each-other look and feel in sidebar listings?

3. How do you remove that annoying little starburst or puffy blocks logo that insists on perching on the leftside of the header area just before the blog title?

4. How do you put an image behind the site title/slogan in the header? I don't mean replace that with an image. And I don't mean put an image above or below that area. I mean take an image, say the width of the header area, and put it in place so the site title/slogan show with the image in the background?

5. I have a terrible time understanding Atahualpa theme's use of "logo" and "image" when arranging elements in the header. Is "logo" that goofy starburst/puffy bubble thing that persists at the lefthand side of the site title/slogan? Or is "logo" the name Atahualpa gives to the site title/slogan? And what's the difference between "logo" and "image" in the header setup?

Seriously, thanks to you gcarson or to any other Atahualpa users out there who can clarify or help with this stuff!
    Generate more fake news.

I will take my best shot. Please do not shoot me if something crashes! 

1. How do you get rid of those annoying little gray vertical bars alongside items listed in the sidebar? They look terrible to me.
    I believe you mean that ugly box next to ul / il lists? Here are the notes I have to do that. I donít have bullets so Iím not 100% sure if the bullet parts work:

/* -------- Setup bullets for LI items on sidebar -------- */
    div.widget ul {
    list-style-type: none !important;
    }

div.widget ul li a:link,
    div.widget ul li a:visited,
    div.widget ul li a:active,
    div.widget ul li a:hover {
    border-left: 0 !important;
    padding-left: 0 !important;
    }

/********** Normal bullet ***************/
    div.widget ul li {
    padding-left: 15px !important;
    background: url(/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/images/bullets/right_arrow_blue.png) no-repeat 0 3px;
    }

/************ On hover bullet *********************/
    div.widget ul li:hover,
    div.widget ul li.sfhover {
    background: url(/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/images/bullets/right_arrow_blue.png) no-repeat 0 3px;
    }

2. How do you generally avoid the crowded, stacked-on-top-of-each-other look and feel in sidebar listings?
    Iím not sure if I understand? Do you mean one widget on top of the other? That can be changed in style sidebars where you can adjust margin / padding between widget boxes. Or do you mean the info inside the widgets on top of each other? If thatís the case, you can adjust the line height between info in the style sidebars section

3. How do you remove that annoying little starburst or puffy blocks logo that insists on perching on the leftside of the header area just before the blog title?
    I believe thatís in the style and edit header area where you can input a logo image. I do not have a logo image in my theme. Don't put the %logo in the configure header area box. Then it won't show up. I built a custom header using dreamweaver then copied the code into the configure header section in style and edit header area

4. How do you put an image behind the site title/slogan in the header? I don't mean replace that with an image. And I don't mean put an image above or below that area. I mean take an image, say the width of the header area, and put it in place so the site title/slogan show with the image in the background?
    Hmm, in the style & edit header area, Iím assuming youíre using the %logo to put the logo area in. What you could do is wrap that in a div, say <div class=Ēlogo_image> &logo </div> then add the css to have that div have your background image?

5. I have a terrible time understanding Atahualpa theme's use of "logo" and "image" when arranging elements in the header. Is "logo" that goofy starburst/puffy bubble thing that persists at the lefthand side of the site title/slogan? Or is "logo" the name Atahualpa gives to the site title/slogan? And what's the difference between "logo" and "image" in the header setup?
    Logo is the green puffy thing and image is the image below that. For my header, I did the following in style & configure header area -> configure header area box:

I first wrapped everything in a header div
    I then put a table in.
    Row 1, Col 1 holds the logo for my site
    Row 1 Col 2 holds my search box and other info
    Row 2 Col 1 (which spans the other two columns) has my page menu (where I insert %page-center)

Pretty simple and looks nothing like the standard version they have. I donít use any of their other built in features for logo, image, or bars. I find its easier to build my own and input the css.

Hope this helps!

Thanks much for taking the time to put all this out there.

I'll take some time today and tomorrow and give it a close look on my "test site" that I have Atahualpa available on.

As for what I mean about putting an image in the background of the header, with the site name/slogan showing over it -- the site in my sig file is set up that way. If you take a look at that site, the graphic showing the old buckboard wagon and the "western looking" edging around it is an image with no text on it. The site name and slogan is the site name/slogan I have set up in the blog "settings" area.

Thanks again. I'll look all this over and see what I can do with it!

I will take my best shot. Please do not shoot me if something crashes! 

I believe you mean that ugly box next to ul / il lists? Here are the notes I have to do that. I donít have bullets so Iím not 100% sure if the bullet parts work:

/* -------- Setup bullets for LI items on sidebar -------- */
    div.widget ul {
    list-style-type: none !important;
    }

div.widget ul li a:link,
    div.widget ul li a:visited,
    div.widget ul li a:active,
    div.widget ul li a:hover {
    padding-left: 0 !important;
    }

/********** Normal bullet ***************/
    div.widget ul li {
    }

/************ On hover bullet *********************/
    div.widget ul li:hover,
    div.widget ul li.sfhover {
    }

Iím not sure if I understand? Do you mean one widget on top of the other? That can be changed in style sidebars where you can adjust margin / padding between widget boxes. Or do you mean the info inside the widgets on top of each other? If thatís the case, you can adjust the line height between info in the style sidebars section

I believe thatís in the style and edit header area where you can input a logo image. I do not have a logo image in my theme. Don't put the %logo in the configure header area box. Then it won't show up. I built a custom header using dreamweaver then copied the code into the configure header section in style and edit header area

Hmm, in the style & edit header area, Iím assuming youíre using the %logo to put the logo area in. What you could do is wrap that in a div, say <div class=Ēlogo_image> &logo </div> then add the css to have that div have your background image?

Logo is the green puffy thing and image is the image below that. For my header, I did the following in style & configure header area -> configure header area box:

I first wrapped everything in a header div
    I then put a table in.
    Row 1, Col 1 holds the logo for my site
    Row 1 Col 2 holds my search box and other info
    Row 2 Col 1 (which spans the other two columns) has my page menu (where I insert %page-center)

Pretty simple and looks nothing like the standard version they have. I donít use any of their other built in features for logo, image, or bars. I find its easier to build my own and input the css.

Hope this helps!
    Generate more fake news.

You can have the exact same look very simply. I will use that site as an example. In the Style & edit header area -> configure header box, I would do something like this.
    <div class="headerbox"> //just to wrap around the whole header
    <div class="header"> //same as you have now, style exactly the same
    //In here, put your title and tagline info and style with CSS
    "This is my site"
    "Buy my widget!"
    </div> //end your header div
    <div class="pagemenu"> //to wrap the menu bar, not sure if this is needed as atahaulpa I think already has one built in that you can customize
    %page //atahualpa's option for inserting the menu bar
    </div> //end pagemenu div
    </div> //end headerbox div

That should give you exactly the same thing. I don't use the logo area, logo image, blog tagline, etc. I just build my own in the configure header box.

Hope that makes sense. And as a disclaimer.. I'm not a webpage design guy or anything near that. Just a user of this theme. If there are any cleaner / better ways, please let us know.

You can have the exact same look very simply. I will use that site as an example. In the Style & edit header area -> configure header box, I would do something like this.
    <div class="headerbox"> //just to wrap around the whole header
    <div class="header"> //same as you have now, style exactly the same
    //In here, put your title and tagline info and style with CSS
    "This is my site"
    "Buy my widget!"
    </div> //end your header div
    <div class="pagemenu"> //to wrap the menu bar, not sure if this is needed as atahaulpa I think already has one built in that you can customize
    %page //atahualpa's option for inserting the menu bar
    </div> //end pagemenu div
    </div> //end headerbox div

That should give you exactly the same thing. I don't use the logo area, logo image, blog tagline, etc. I just build my own in the configure header box.

Hope that makes sense. And as a disclaimer.. I'm not a webpage design guy or anything near that. Just a user of this theme. If there are any cleaner / better ways, please let us know.
    Thanks again for the suggestions. Being a MAJOR pro football fan, my wife won't let me pull myself away from today's playoff games to get much done on websites

But I plan on looking over all this Atahualpa stuff and working with it first thing tomorrow.
    Generate more fake news.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast