Thanks to the ABWers who informed me that Howard Stern spent a good 15-20 minutes talking about phillyBurbs on Monday. He said he liked our site, so I guess we'll find out if his endorsement is effective over the long run.

The short-term response was obvious - nice bump in traffic.

What a way to start May!

ABW Ambassador
    That's cool

Got me thinking i disagree with what the FTC is doing and maybe i should make a page with a nice long rant about the FTC and how i support Howard, maybe i can get some air play

ABW Ambassador
    Unfortunately, South Florida is not allowed to listen to Howard over the airways anymore.

Affiliate Manager
    Yeah, and South Florida has been the fore- front of censorship since Jimmy Morrison's incident in Miami in 1970. I guess all the older folks don't appreciate us youngsters and our antics... Howard Stern is missed down here. The cookie cutter radio is awful.

Not to worry though, because the wonderful voting system (what WE SHOULD be concerned about) is coming up again. Let's not blow it again South Florida.

But as long as people like Howard Stern are off the radio, we are a better place? I don't think we have our priorities straight...

Props Phillyburbs for the Stern spot and after that win (that shouldn't have went into overtime in the first place) I'm sure the city is buzzing. Flyers rule, go Flyers!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Congrats Karl & all of PhillyBurbs on getting some free publicity!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The cookie cutter radio is awful.~ctfarrow <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To heck with lousy local radio. Try listening to stations with internet streaming audio! After years of not listening to the radio due to Detroit's total inability to discern real country music from a box of rocks, I finally turned to Radio Locator.com to find a decent online station.

Now I'm happily listening to a station from Texas! Not only do they know what COUNTRY is, they realize that songs that are more than 10 minutes old are still good!

I'm sure there are stations in every genre now broadcasting over the Net. On the Radio Locator site, you can just search for the type of channel you want. If the station has a site, there'll be a link. There's also links to the audio stream (I suggest bookmarking the links to the streams you want, so you don't have to go fish every time you want to listen to the radio).
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Thanks Leader (and everyone else!) and agreed on forgetting about Local radio.

I can't find a radio station that plays my type of music; when I'm away from the computer, that means either CDs or NPR. When I'm at the computer, I listen to a handful of Internet-only "radio" stations.

Affiliate Manager
    I agree, I enjoy Internet Radio stations. Give me variety! In the car and the way folks drive down here in South FL, you'd be a fool to fumble with the radio anyway...

Katrl,

Congrats on the mentions, did you see a nice spike of traffic from it?

http://shoutcast.com/ is also very good to find streaming audio.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>After years of not listening to the radio due to Detroit's total inability to discern real country music from a box of rocks, I finally turned to http://www.radio-locator.com/ to find a decent online station.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No matter what kind of music radio you are into Detroit radio is very poor. Detroit radio is dominated by Clear Channel and the non-CC stations simply play it 'safe' with wide-acceptability (read: boring) play lists. Argh.

(I forgot you were in the Detroit area Leader!)

ABW Ambassador
    Congrats, in what context did he discuss the site?

Chet

Haiko:

Yep, noticeable spike in traffic. More so than when ESPN.com mentioned our site as the source for an article.

Chet:

He practically read this entire article - Unfrigginbelievable - then went on to say he doesn't like most major news Web sites, but that he thought phillyBurbs is a good one.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Detroits best radio stations is WRIF. We have to listen to it streaming up here in the sticks though.

Has anyone checked out Air America Radio (talk radio)? It is pretty interesting. Not sure I agree with all they discuss, but it is still interesting. I usually listen to Randy Rhodes in the afternoons. They have a good stream.

http://airamericaradio.com/pub/globalDefault.htm
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Michelle, I used to live on both Alpena (Hubbard Lake) and Traverse City, I understand why streaming is the way to go for you.

I am sure Webmaster Mike has an opinion about Detroit radio - he seems to have dissapeared though...

Fred

That's a great article!

I never thought about internet radio

I would need to find some speakers for my computer first anyway.

ABW Ambassador
    Now all you need is Oprah to mention your site.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

Karl Congrats, if you are lucky you might be able to download the show, ask which day it was and see if the show was recorded online.

JJJay:

Actually, we have an audio file about about half of the segment.

Update: There's now a link to the column from Howard Stern's Web site.

Free traffic, I love it!

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buy_online:
    Michelle, I used to live on both Alpena (Hubbard Lake) and Traverse City, I understand why streaming is the way to go for you.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I live a little over half way between Alpena & Gaylord. Closer to Gaylord.

It is basically peaceful up here, but there are somethings we just can't have. Like really good radio, cable tv, etc. etc. Right in Alpena or Gaylord you can get cable, but not where I am.

Traverse City is growing all the time. I go over there rarely. Almost too "city" for me. *G*
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Congrats!

I'm hoping Stern gets onto XM. I'm getting one of those puppies pretty soon.

Karl,

Congrats on the free publicity! Howard Stern isn't exactly one of my favorites, but he does seem to have a loyal following.

I catch parts of his show on cable from time to time, and he's always having people show him their various body parts. That gets old pretty quick...

Andy

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread