Fannie May Cancellations
    I was just looking back at canceled orders for December and noticed that every single Fannie May order placed through my site was canceled. It was a number of different members and all of them are long-term members who didn't have any other orders canceled. Did anyone else see mass cancellations from them?
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Dec. 31--Archibald Candy Corp., the venerable Chicago-based maker of Fannie May and Fanny Farmer candies, may be on the verge of filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy for second time in less than two years.

The company, which emerged from its first bankruptcy in October 2002, on Tuesday wouldn't confirm or deny a pending bankruptcy, saying only that it has been "for some time" exploring "strategic alternatives," including the sale of Fannie May and Fanny Farmer.

Related?

Hi Tricia,
    Fannie May backed out all orders that were used with non-affiliate codes or fraudlent or cancelled orders.

If you have any questions/concerns about any orders please feel free to contact me directly- aalbert@1800flowers.com so we can review together.

Thank you!

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by red80
    Hi Tricia,
    Fannie May backed out all orders that were used with non-affiliate codes or fraudlent or cancelled orders.

If you have any questions/concerns about any orders please feel free to contact me directly- aalbert@1800flowers.com so we can review together.

Thank you!
    If you're talking about coupon codes, isn't that more on you. Because it looks like you have affiliates in your program that allow users to post whatever coupons they want. So somebody can click over from my site, which just has authorized coupons for Fannie May, and head over to one of those other sites and copy a code and use it. One of the reasons I've always said those affiliates should all be dropped from your programs.

This is a BIG lesson to anyone thinking about building a website to send traffic to Fannie May..

You might build a great website, you might only post authorized affiliate coupons, you might send Fannie May tons of traffic....

BUT, if your visitor visits another site, and finds a better coupon code, and enters it, all of your hard word just got flushed down the drain, even though you did nothing wrong..

Moral of the story: Fannie May has no problem screwing you out of your hard earned commissions..

Shoppers are getting more & more savvy and its unfortunate because they do not realize we pay affiilates a commission on those sales in addition to them finding discounts from other channels.

The major issue especially this December, just to clarify, is that consumers were purchasing product at extremely low costs with offers that were targeted to specific individuals. (through channels in which we were not offering commission). Instead these codes were posted by certain sites (in forums, etc), used without authorization by some consumers. These sales were at low, no, or negative contribution to our business.

Going forward Fannie May will be more careful about the offers they put out there because they realize that this type of consumer activity is hard to stop and there is a fine line as to what really drives the sale- the offer or the affiliate. However, as per their terms & conditions- they will continue to penalize any affiliate that posts any unauthorized key codes.

Thank you for voicing your concern, we hear you and we are recognizing it- as their Affiliate Manager I have voiced my concern to them as well given we do not manage our other affiliate programs this way.

However, as per their terms & conditions- they will continue to penalize any affiliate that posts any unauthorized key codes.
    Bottom line is that Fannie May is getting targeted traffic without paying anyone a commission. We're getting pretty tired of merchants setting up situations like these by allowing affiliates that they know break the rules and then penalizing honest affiliates. There is always a price to be paid for stupidity, but Fannie May should bear that cost, not their affiliates.

It's house cleaning time, PROGRAM DROPPED!!!

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Thats fine I understand your concern, do what is best for your site. Again we are seeing this and we are acknowledging it, instead of ignoring how it impacted affiliates and from here...that is all we can do at this point. Thank you.

First, I do appreciate you even responding here. I know sometimes it can feel like "the Lion's Den" to affiliate managers because we are all pretty passionate about what we do.

That said, I'm definitely going to have Cindy drop you an email because we had 16 of 20 of our transactions reversed. And as you know, we specifically tell our members not to use codes from other sites. It's strange that we would have so many using other codes when we didn't have this problem with any other merchants this holiday season.

I hope that this can all be taken care of before the Valentine's Day season because it would be a shame to have the same thing happen again.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Thank you Tricia. I'm always happy to jump on a call to discuss any issues/concerns regarding any of our brands.

In the future, it's always good to reach out to the Affiliate Manager first to discuss what you're seeing and work through it.

http and a telephoto
    In the future, it's always good to reach out to the Affiliate Manager first to discuss what you're seeing and work through it.
    Sometimes getting feedback from other affiliates is helpful. Also it is good for affiliates to know that other people are having the same problems with the same merchants.

That's one reason this forum exists, for affiliates to "compare notes".
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

However, as per their terms & conditions- they will continue to penalize any affiliate that posts any unauthorized key codes.
    This is worded incorrectly.. You should have said:

"As per their terms & conditions - Fannie May will continue to penalize ALL affiliates, no matter if they break the rules or not."

Edit: I'm disgusted by merchants like this. It gives the entire industry a black eye. This type of policy hurts EVERYONE involved. Good affiliates lose hard earned money. And the merchant gets hurt because potential future good affiliates see this thread, learn about this policy, and skip over this merchant because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmMe
    Edit: I'm disgusted by merchants like this. It gives the entire industry a black eye. This type of policy hurts EVERYONE involved. Good affiliates lose hard earned money. And the merchant gets hurt because potential future good affiliates see this thread, learn about this policy, and skip over this merchant because of it.
    My previous post may have seemed harsh, but the realities of the situation are that when an affiliate screws up, we're penalized. As we should be. But when a merchant screws up, the affiliate is still penalized. Where's the equity?

Merchants need to understand that that when they have an affiliate program they have a legal and moral responsibility to manage that program properly. As I've said many times in dozens of threads, you own the relationship. You write the TOS, you make the rules, you decide who to admit into your program and you decide if and when we should be paid. When you don't do your job, we lose.

When you don't enforce your TOS uniformly, we lose. When you allow parasites into your program, we lose. When you muddy marketing channels by allowing organizations like Second Bite to earn affiliate commissions for non-affiliate related activities, we lose.

The bottom line is that poorly run programs hurt everyone involved and costs everyone money. It's great that you acknowledge that there are problems, but acknowledging a problem and correcting it are two very different things. And in all reality, Fannie May really hasn't acknowledged the true problem. They've now blamed this issue on "savvy shoppers" and rogue affiliates without taking any responsibility for creating the situation in the first place. In the meantime, honest affiliates are losing money.

In all fairness, this isn't a problem that's unique to Fannie May. There are hundreds of programs that are just as poorly run or worse in some cases. I have no intention of continuing to promote any of them either. 2010 will be my year of the cleanup, I fully intend to systemically eliminate all of the chaff on my sites. If you don't convert or you have a high reversal rate for your industry, or affiliate unfriendly policies or allow parasites, YOU ARE HISTORY!

Fannie May has been a Chicago institution and a tradition in my family for as long as I can remember. I wish them all the best and hope they see their way clear of their current financial difficulties. I can't imagine a holiday season without them.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread