Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Bing Is Now Powering Yahoo Search (updated)
    There is already a thread on this but it's in the closed Yahoo forum, so can't reply there. This will be a major topic when it actually rolls out. So in case you missed it or forgot - http://www.google.com/search?q=bing+...GGL_en___US341

So it should be around this Summer sometime, Bing starts powering Yahoo search. But who knows exactly, could be earlier, could be delays and not even happen this year. Should be interesting, these switchovers. I remember when Google used to power their search.

I wish them luck, but they are still swimming against the tide.

I wish adcenter would replace YSM for self serve PPC advertising. It appears that Bing is keeping adcenter and Yahoo is keeping YSM?

I am so tired of Yahoo's partner network and Yahoo's matching types. Why can't yahoo just provide broad, phrase, and exact match, instead of rolling their own, stupid algorithm? Yahoo's match types make it harder to import profitable Google campaigns without tweaking them.

Also, negative keywords at the campaign level. That would be nice.... Arghh, my blood is boiling.

Oh, and the YSM editorial review process. I just write off about 15% of my keywords, no use even re-submitting, not worth my time to explain to someone that, no, really, this is a relevant landing page for that keyword.
    Last edited by isellstuff; January 12th, 2010 at 05:45 PM.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

ABW Ambassador
    That's supposed to be early 2011 when they start using (migrate) Microsoft Adcenter for PPC.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    I wish Bing Hoo! all the best. We in the ppc industry need someone to evolve and offer competition to Google. I have no idea whether Y and MS can be competitive, but it would be nice to bring G back to earth.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

ABW Ambassador
    I think all this just helps Google.

With PPC, instead of Google Adwords, Yahoo Sponsored Search and MSN Adcenter, 3 choices, it'll go down to 2.

And then with the natural SERPS, I think this move only helps Google. I think Bing is the worst out of the 3, and I've seen the same in any poll they've done on this. So Yahoo search is going to be downgraded.

I think most people have pretty much settled on what search engine they use and those that use Yahoo to search will see a difference when Bing takes over, so I would bet after some time, Google picks up some of those people and they'll have even a bigger percentage of the search market.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Moderator Note: Not sure how I missed moving the threads from that forum over when I restructured the Search Engine Insight section. I've moved them over. Feel free to merge these two threads or leave them separate.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Geeeze does anyone still use anything other than Google for searching? I mean, really. Apart from everyone's personal feelings about the great (or not so great) Goog, they are so predominately the KING of search that trying to compare them to Bing or Yahoo or any other wanna be is like comparing the Beatles to a one hit wonder. Google has become a VERB - it's cultural and guess what? It's cultural in almost every country (if not all) in the world. I'd say that's pretty much saturation. Now, their backing out of China is an interesting move but another story altogether.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Geeeze does anyone still use anything other than Google for searching?
    If I don't find what I'm looking for with Google, I usually search with Yahoo next. If it's something pretty specific/historic that I'm looking for, I'll often just search Wikipedia. Other than that, it's just about all Google.

As for general users, many just use whatever is the default search engine (or home page) configured on their computer/browser.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Geeeze does anyone still use anything other than Google for searching? I mean, really. Apart from everyone's personal feelings about the great (or not so great) Goog, they are so predominately the KING of search that trying to compare them to Bing or Yahoo or any other wanna be is like comparing the Beatles to a one hit wonder. Google has become a VERB - it's cultural and guess what? It's cultural in almost every country (if not all) in the world. I'd say that's pretty much saturation. Now, their backing out of China is an interesting move but another story altogether.
    You GO GIRL!

This Google Butt Kissing Monkey couldn't have said it better.

Bing and Yahoo are reaching, but to their credit, they didn't wait until the last moment to jump head first into the game..

This may not be their year, but looking to the future with a plan that works is a good thing..

If it doesn't work?

Google will rule the world. ( Maybe not China - )

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

ABW Ambassador
    hmm, after reading - http://www.bruceclay.com/blog/2010/0...s-it-all-mean/

under The Salient Points Of The Deal

"Microsoft will acquire an exclusive 10 year license to Yahoo's core search technologies, and Microsoft will have the ability to integrate Yahoo search technologies into it's existing Web search platforms"

When I first read Yahoo search will be powered by Microsoft/Bing, that reads like Yahoo will use them for the search results, the Bing index. But the above reads a little different. It might be powered by Bing but still use their own index and even be used for Bing. Bing could still use all that other new stuff they're bringing and use the Yahoo index as the foundation of their search. I guess we'll find out when it goes live.

I can't recall where I was reading it now -- maybe our local newspaper?? -- but I saw something just yesterday where Ballmer (sp?), the head guy at Microsoft, was slamming Google insisting they needed to be investigated by the government for antitrust/monopoly issues.

The same article made passing mention of the MS/Bing/Yahoo deal.

Uh, I'm not a lawyer or any sort of gov. regulator -- but isn't that deal as blatantly antitrust/monopoly issues as anything Google is doing?
    Generate more fake news.

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, it goes both ways. Google said something about this deal, MSN says something about Google. Just competitors going at each other.

I wish Yahoo could stand alone. Bing should work with Yahoo, because it has a better engine.

But, in retrospect, Yahoo phasing out to Bing is the direction Microsoft wants, and no matter the two engines together would offer a formidable battle to the big G.

I'm surprised that Virgin hasn't made a go at trying to put up a search engine yet. They're one of the few outfits that might be able to put up a good fight for market share, with the capital to back the project up.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Virgin? Richard Branson is more concerned about flying his planes to space.

I'm not sure it will make much of a difference. Google will reign until it does something to undo itself or we stop using search engines.

Google will look at BingYa as serious competition, but seriously, whats wrong with being #2 behind Google?

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Is there a discussion about Bing offering cash back rewards? I searched, but couldn't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay View Post
    Is there a discussion about Bing offering cash back rewards? I searched, but couldn't find it.
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showt...highlight=bing

ABW Ambassador
    "Organic Search Transition
    To date, we've focused most of our communications to you on the paid search transition to adCenter. However, another key aspect of the Yahoo! and Microsoft Search Alliance is the transition of Yahoo! organic search results (those found on the main body of the page). Assuming our testing continues to yield high quality results, we anticipate that our organic search results will be powered by Bing beginning in the August/September timeframe."

Soon. I did notice a new blog I put up a week ago, Google got it first as usual, but Bing got it as well last couple of days. So maybe they're getting better at that. That's organic search/SERPS. As far as PPC, they said:

"Our goal remains providing a quality transition experience for advertisers in the U.S. and Canada in 2010, while protecting the holiday season. We've continued to make good progress against this goal, and we regularly evaluate our progress. However, please remember that, as we continue to go through our series of checkpoints, if we conclude that it would improve the overall experience, we may choose to defer the transition to 2011."

I'm thinking they probably should hold off until after the holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    I'm thinking they probably should hold off until after the holidays.
    I'm kind of looking forward to the transition, for the sole reason of managing 2 PPC platforms instead of 3. 50% gain in productivity.
    Your Ad Here.

Quote Originally Posted by affninja View Post
    I'm kind of looking forward to the transition, for the sole reason of managing 2 PPC platforms instead of 3. 50% gain in productivity.
    I'm finally getting into the Microsoft Adcenter API program, based on my pre-existing membership in the Yahoo Search Marketing API program. So I'm excited about that. Microsoft's match types are better too and that is exciting. Microsoft's desktop editor is much, much better too.

Yahoo's Search Partner network is full of arbitrage and fraud. Not so happy about the possibility of Yahoo's sub-par PPC traffic bringing down my MSN ROI.

I'm doing really well in Yahoo natural search results at the moment, will be sorry to see that go as well.

Its a total mixed bag for me. Don't know what to expect, not terribly excited.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

ABW Ambassador
    I guess Bing is now powering Yahoo. They said this week. I now see Powered by Bing™ on the bottom of Yahoo search pages. And checking some terms in Yahoo vs. Bing, same index. It might still be rolling out to some places, if you're not seeing it yet.

PPC next, testing on some accounts already. I'm thinking this part will probably be a mess/headache. Hopefully not too bad.

Must have just happened - and I'm loving it. I just (mid week) noticed an uptick in hotel sales from a site that Yahoo had always ignored, but Bing and Google have in nice SERP positions. So the mid-Atlantic area must be seeing the change (nearly all the customers for that site are mid-Atlantic).
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast