One of my advertisers who I won't name has introduced a new scheme (without giving any notice to publishers I might add and there is no explanation of it that I can find anywhere, I had to work this out for myself).

Visitors to the website are now able to reserve goods and pick them up at one of their national stores. For sales made through this scheme instead of getting paid a percentage of the value of the goods, publishers get a tiny lead (and I mean under $1). This particular advertiser has stores accross the country and so far it looks like very few people are going to choose delivery from now on, which means a huge loss to the publisher. Why do the advertiser and CJ seem to think we should get paid so much less just because the product is picked up instead of delivered? I would like to hear them justify this.

I wish you would mention the merchant's name.

In my opinion not only does the merchat pocket the commissions from your hard work. They save shipping expenses, and mostlikely make a pile more, in sales while they're there piking up the product you sold.

It's bad enough when they dupe you into branding their site and giving little, but this really takes the cake!

Haiko

Maybe you could open up a new "Merchant Takes the Cake" forum. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Cow Patch...

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The CJ parasite mindset allows for this concession. They toss you the handling charge and let the merchant keep all the profit. Does the merchnat also have fleas?

WebMaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

Why don't you want to name them?

OK, the advertiser in question is 'Argos.co.uk'.

[Edited]

I have just found an email they sent me about this that I must have missed originally.

What do you make of it?

Click and collect on CJ
    Fantastic news from Argos ? Christmas extended!!!!

Online sales have peaked, last order dates are fast approaching and customers are beginning to worry about getting gifts in time.

But if you would like some more of those high sales figures, we?ve got great news!

For the first time ever, Argos is offering its unique Click & Collect Service through Commission Junction! So you can earn lots more money from Christmas, right up to Christmas Eve and beyond! For a limited time only.

The Click & Collect Service allows customers to choose items in the store of their choice, over 500 in the UK to choose from, check stock in that store and then reserve it for up to 24 hours! The customer then quotes the reservation number in-store, makes their payment, collects their products and off they go!

Customers will love knowing they do not have to worry about whether gifts will arrive in time, or whether they can wait in for delivery.

Whats more, they?ll love to get the best of the January Sale deals reserved for them instore without having to beat the crowds to the bargains! Sale starts Xmas Eve.

Publishers can earn a 50p, $0.80, bounty for every reservation placed in this way. So, promote this ultimate service in convenience on your site and in email and both you and your customers can gain immediately!

Kind regards,

Argos Publisher Team

This feature has been available with Argos for a long time. In the past we haven't earned anything from these customers, at least now we're getting something, even if it is only $0.80 per sale. But that's not enough, and it's only temporary.

What annoys me about merchants like this is that they try to make us think it's great news that they're temporarily going to pay us a pittance for these customers, when in fact they should be permanently paying us a decent percentage for these sales.

I never noticed it before.

From what I can tell since a couple of days ago (?) when the offer was implemented, Click & Collect seems to make up for at least 50% of sales, more like 80% by my stats. Seems like "being taken for a ride" would be an understatement in this case.

What you'll also find with Argos is that a lot of their products are only available instore, even stuff that has a CJ product link.

Littlewoods Index is a similar store and I generally do much better with them than with Argos.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread