Viglink
    News is beginning to appear about VigLink, the latest attempt to monetize traffic. Looks like it is a super link aggregator, working with Google, Linkshare, CJ, amazon.com, etc. They will take links from your site, assign affiliate codes (apparently their own affiliate codes), and then pay you some/most of the commission they receive from sales. Google has provided part of their seed money.

Questions:
    1) Has anyone had any dealings with them? If you are able to set up your own links, it doesn't appear advantageous to use them.

2) Wouldn't the parasite issues also apply to their affiliate codes? Just because they slap on one of their codes doesn't mean it wouldn't be overwritten.

I think they are going to get a lot of attention from the affiliate networks. Not sure that is good for us.

ABW Ambassador
    1. Its not for regular affiliates. If you have a site, you will want to put up your own links.

2. Its more like an incentive site. They pay you a cut from their affiliate income, which raises many questions.

Quote from TechCrunc
    "But Iím not sure itís a foolproof setup: if one publisher using VigLink starts behaving badly, thereís a chance that the affiliate program being abused will ban the entire VigLink account, which would affect all publishers using it."

Affiliate Manager
    Any other thoughts on Viglink?

http and a telephoto
    If I'm not approving the affiliates into my program, they aren't working with my programs. Not sure they are even in Shareasale, since Shareasale doesn't allow subaffiliate networks. Which is what this basically is. They let anyone use the links, without a merchant approving the affiliates. (I mention that because all of my programs are on Shareasale.)

For sites that aren't protective of their brand, might be an acceptable solution. It's like a CPA network, but not.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager
    That too was my initial reaction until I saw the Merchant page. http://www.viglink.com/corp/merchants

"Committed to merchant transparency and control"

http and a telephoto
    Committed to merchant transparency and control

While you can't control who links to your site, you certainly don't have to pay them. VigLink is committed to giving merchants complete control of who has access to their affiliate program.
    That sounds sketchy to me. How can we be in control, but not be approving affiliates? It is an optOUT instead of an optIn. I'll take a wait and see for now. But that's just me

http and a telephoto
    To me it is like being in a network on top of a network. I have to approve affiliates in two places. With Popshops, GoldenCan etc the affiliates come to Shareasale for approval, then go get the links from the tool. As a manager I'm not going and approving affiliates in two (or more if this model catches on) places. Another similar one is SkimLinks.

VigLink response
    Hello, I'm Oliver Roup, the CEO of VigLink. I thought I'd address directly some of the questions raised on this thread. The high-level thing I'd like to communicate here is that we're more than open to getting educated on all these matters. Feel free to get in touch.

• When we say we're committed to merchant control, what we mean is a merchant will have the option to turn off affiliation for any site in our network or for all of them and to switch from an opt-out to an opt-in model if you prefer. And as someone already mentioned, if you don't turn us on in your program, we can't affiliate anything.
    • The more fundamental question is whether the hand approval process you all perform today is really the best case scenario for filtering publishers. Google has a lot of very clever technology that prevents AdSense Ads from running on undesirable sites. That technology can be applied to this problem - you shouldn't have to check and re-check publishers to see if they meet your guidelines. Technology should do the heavy lifting there, with oversight from you. Our goal here is to _beat_ the status quo, to do a better job targeting the right publishers than you in practice do for yourself. Obviously that's a high bar and we have a lot of work to do but that's the bar. We have incentive to get this right since if we as a whole start driving bad traffic to the merchants, they will shut us off.
    • Publishers who already do all the work to affiliate their own links will not likely be primary consumers of our product. But there are many publishers who are more focused on creating the content and who would love to do "affiliate stuff" if it weren't so complicated and labor-intensive. Even publishers who are diligent about it are welcome to use our crawler against your site though - we've found that in many cases a number of links have been missed and we can point those out for you. Again, this technology isn't perfect (false positives and negatives, very course estimates on financial value) but it's improving over time.
    • We don't overwrite any existing affiliate links so if you've already affiliated every applicable link on your site, then our technology will give you free analytics of where your clicks are going. Some of you already have all that, but many do not.

We're not yet open to the public but once we are, you're all more than welcome to check it out and come see for yourself.

Again, we're very happy to learn if you feel we need to get educated on something. We've got a lot of work to do, both technologically and as far as meeting all of you. Our genuine aspiration is to build something that is both useful and that is a welcome addition to the affiliate marketing community.

Sincerely,

Oliver Roup
    CEO, VigLink

http and a telephoto
    Thanks for coming in and explaining in more detail. The one thing that still remains is merchant control, and the merchant needing to manage in their own network and in yours. Technology isn't available that will tell you if a particular type of affiliate is running your (our) ads that aren't the types of affiliates we want in our programs.

What you are building is the definition of a subaffiliate network.

This will be a "wait and see" for us.

Merchant control
    Understood. I've just sent you a private message - I'm interested in discussing this issue in more detail so we can address your concerns.

Oliver

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread