Earthquake In Haiti
    As everyone is probably aware, a catastrophic disaster in unfolding in Haiti, where the strongest earthquake ever recorded in that region has hit. To all those who may have family or friends in the region, I hope they are safe and you, and they, as well as all Haitians, are in my thoughts and prayers.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Wow - that's a big shaker. So sad and scary (especially living in Los Angeles)!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    The experts have always said that there are constant earthquakes, but 99% go unnoticed, and most large enough to notice are undersea or in sparsely populated areas.

But, something is definitely happening now.

A couple of weeks ago there was a 5.9 on the California-Mexico boarder, and three days ago a 6.5 off the coast of Eureka, Ca. Now, the 7.0 in Haiti, 3500 miles away.

Should we be ?
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

you can keep up with them all here:
    http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/
    if you mouseover an icon it shows magnitude and you can read the details with a click.

A 7 magnitude is a very serious quake, a disaster in a populated area.

The death and devastation in Haiti is unbelievable. Estimates range up to as many as 500,000 dead.

Donations to the American Red Cross relief efforts can be made here
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    The death and devastation in Haiti is unbelievable. Estimates range up to as many as 500,000 dead.

Donations to the American Red Cross relief efforts can be made here
    I donated today. Be sure to choose either the International Fund option or the option for your donation to be used where there is the greatest need (where I'm sure at the moment is Haiti). (Edit to add: I went directly to the redcross.org home page instead of through Hound's link and clicked on the red Donate Now button, which gives you the different donation options mentioned above.)

Also, for those of you who have day jobs, please ask your employer if they'll do employee donation matching.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

This whole thing is unbelievable. Seeing what i can do to have an impact. I have limited channels, but every little bit helps.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

http and a telephoto
    Being here in NYC the news coverage has been constant. The Haitian/Dominican population here is huge, 250,000 in NYC alone. It makes you stop and think...
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    The experts have always said that there are constant earthquakes, but 99% go unnoticed, and most large enough to notice are undersea or in sparsely populated areas.

But, something is definitely happening now.

A couple of weeks ago there was a 5.9 on the California-Mexico boarder, and three days ago a 6.5 off the coast of Eureka, Ca. Now, the 7.0 in Haiti, 3500 miles away.

Should we be ?
    Incredible. I had a similar conversation with my family today and even said it may be time to quit the Golden State as we don't wait until the dreaded thing happens (which I believe is inevitable, it is only a question of when - now or million years later). The quake in Eureka (I was in Redwoods area a day after Thanksgiving with some family friends to show the drive-thru trees) kept me pondering what would have happened if the quake struck 200 miles south in SF!

Where to move?. Which place is safe and does not snow and as beautiful as SF area!. That's very hard to find though!

Quote Originally Posted by redtagdeals
    The quake in Eureka (I was in Redwoods area a day after Thanksgiving with some family friends to show the drive-thru trees) kept me pondering what would have happened if the quake struck 200 miles south in SF!

Where to move?. Which place is safe and does not snow and as beautiful as SF area!. That's very hard to find though!
    We know what would happen...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Lo...eta_earthquake
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.

Due to being situated on the Ring of Fire, California and other west coast states, have strict building codes to withstand earthquakes as much as possible. So, while there is damage during a major quake in California, the loss of life is not so great as in other parts of the world where building codes aren't as strict. Unfortunately, in Haiti, many of the buildings there, even the concrete ones, are not reinforced because the materials are not available or they simply cannot afford them.

Should we be ?
    Yeah but why torture yourself? LOL - We KNOW we're *always* due for a good rumbler ... all we can do is be prepared and know how to stay safe when the buildings start rocking and rolling.

I try to remember that WE'RE the ones who built up on shaky ground. Nature is just doing her thing. If we want to live here, we deal with it. The ideal climate in SO Cal has a big price tag, in many ways. The beauty and coolness of NO Cal is equally expensive.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Yeah but why torture yourself? LOL - We KNOW we're *always* due for a good rumbler ... all we can do is be prepared and know how to stay safe when the buildings start rocking and rolling.

I try to remember that WE'RE the ones who built up on shaky ground. Nature is just doing her thing. If we want to live here, we deal with it. The ideal climate in SO Cal has a big price tag, in many ways. The beauty and coolness of NO Cal is equally expensive.
    Every place has the potential for natural disaster. My mother grew up in tornado country. She says she'd gladly live in earthquake country than in tornado country. California has 6.0+ temblors fairly frequently (8 in the last 20 years).

I wouldn't worry about living in California because of the earthquakes. To put this into perspective, the deadliest earthquake in US history was the 1906 San Francisco earthquake in which 3,000 people died. It was 7.8 on the Richter scale. Technology has come a long way since then and structures are much safer than back then.

I hope you continue to enjoy living in beautiful California. I certainly miss my home state sometimes...

Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn

I hope you continue to enjoy living in beautiful California. I certainly miss my home state sometimes...
    I do enjoy it, Meadowmufn and am grateful every day to live here.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Does anyone have any links for donating other than the Red Cross? At first I thought of Doctor's Without Borders but since Pitt/Jolie gave them a million already I was looking for somewhere else that might need help.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    I just joinied a Haitian Earthquake Relief page on FB.. they are listing a lot charities there..

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pa...1741232?ref=mf

Manager - Affiliate Marketing Patrick Vesperman's Avatar
    A great, easy way to help:
    http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/haiti-eart...ory?id=9547030

Just text the word "HAITI" to 90999 and you will donate $10, charged to your cell-phone bill. My wife and I both did it. $10 isn't much, but multiply that by 60,000+ ABW members and we could have a real impact.

Quote Originally Posted by pjvesperman
    Just text the word "HAITI" to 90999 and you will donate $10, charged to your cell-phone bill. My wife and I both did it. $10 isn't much, but multiply that by 60,000+ ABW members and we could have a real impact.
    This has been all over FB, Twitter, etc and seems to be the fastest and easiest appeal for Mass-Donation to happen. And $10 is something we can all afford.

Quote Originally Posted by affiliatehound
    Oddly enough, we had an earthquake up here in Montana around the same time as the Haiti one. Just an hour north of Missoula near Seeley Lake. The effects were minimal - wash machines spinning in the middle of the night, etc... But we are on a huge Rocky Mountain fault like up here with regular seismic activity in our national parks (Yellowstone and Glacier).

The bottom line comes down to the fact that our country can afford the technology to keep us "safer" than others... in this case, Haiti. Across the globe all live in areas of potential disaster - Hurricane, Avalanche, Land Slide, Tornado, Earth Quake, Drought, Tsunami, Famine. I feel fortunate to live in a place with first-class emergency response systems and caring, generous citizens.

Be well - travel safe this weekend.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Navy][SIZE=3][B]Molly Bradford[/B][/SIZE] | [SIZE=2][B][URL=http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/content/info/1059773978525/1]Affiliate Program Manager (join!)[/URL] | Vann's, Inc[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [SIZE=1]molly[dot]bradford[at]vanns[dot]net | [URL]www.vanns.com[/URL] | yahoo, msn, gchat ID: [B]mhaislnut[/B]
    [URL]www.twitter.com/vanns[/URL] | [URL]www.facebook.com/vanns[/URL] [/FONT][/SIZE]

Affiliate Manager
    It's sad. Send a $10 Donation by Texting ‘Haiti’ to 90999
    [COLOR="Green"][SIZE="2"]Partner with VerticalResponse and earn up to $125 per sale! [URL="http://bit.ly/itF4W2"][U]Apply Now[/U][/URL].[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Those wishing to donate should probably stay away from the search engines [paid or 'natural' serps] see: (http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=7987) ... and stick with a known, legitimate charity or donation (texting) method.

AHound,

West Covina...buy your water now ;-)

I was in the LA quake back in what 94 which was 18 km below the surface. That one nearly knocked me to the ground and that is not easy to do, even on the football field, by comparison Haiti was only 6km deep without much of a building code to protect the people living there.

Since 94 i've been watching earthquakes and have to say something big is on it's way soon...geologically speaking any second. I saw all the little quakes leading up to the 7.0 for Haiti over the past few months, but i really had my eye on the inland empire. Minds smarter than mine had a 6 month window predicting a major quake in that region about a year ago due to the temperature of the plates and the earthquake swarms in the area.

By contrast there has been very little movement to the west of the LA Basin and i believe the quake Molly felt is a result of pressure put on the point around Lompoc.

Movement in Baja, movement to the North, but little in between...that means pressure. Tie that with the storm surge and recent eclipse and there are many factors to make a person happy to be in Vegas for the weekend :-)

http://quake.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Anim/canv.html give a very good view of how the swarms are moving in Cali

Yeah i know this sounds like i have tin foil on my head, but if i said it after, i'd sound even sillier

MrB,

I'm a native and have have been through many a big one:

1994 Northridge (6.7 officially)
    1987 Whittier Narrows (5.9)(right near WC)
    1971 Sylmar (6.6)
    and I have memories as a kid of my mother freaking out during the 1954 Arroyo Salada 6.4 earthquake on the San Jacinto fault, that did damage throughout SoCal and even felt in to Mexico.

Earthquake activity increases and decreases, but there are always quakes occurring. You can't live your life in fear of them, but do need to make reasonable preparations. There may or may not be the really big one in my (or your) lifetime, but there will be other big ones.

i think the stats say there are about 18, 7.0 or greater per year, just a question of where and when.

There is fear and then there is preparation, but they are not always the same :-)

back to the original thought of the thread

HELP HAITI IF YOU CAN!

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread