RE: Affiliate Marketing in Australia
    Does anyone know reasons why major Affiliate Networks (such as Commission Junction, LinkShare, WebGains, TradeDoubler etc) do NOT have presence in Australia?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Good question! eBay does.

http and a telephoto
    I have a lot of Australian affiliates in my merchant programs that are on Shareasale. Perhaps since there are so many affiliates registered in the US versions of the networks no network has felt the need to expand specifically there.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    I have a lot of Australian affiliates in my merchant programs that are on ShareASale. Perhaps since there are so many affiliates registered in the US versions of the networks no network has felt the need to expand specifically there.
    That may be the case. I never really thought about it but I did notice quite a few Australian Affiliates. In fact, last night I reviewed all of our affiliates (only 2 1/2 month's worth so far) and several of the Australian Affs are actively producing sales.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Bill / Loxly, I'm not talking about pubs located in Australia with sites in US or UK. There are plenty of those.

Here is a reply I got on another forum from a major Affiliate Network’s CEO and I think it's worth sharing with everyone.

Question: Does anyone know reasons why major Affiliate Networks (such as Commission Junction, LinkShare, WebGains, TradeDoubler etc) do NOT have presence in Australia?

Answer: I think the main reason that the big international guys have not entered the market is that they have enough to do in other markets. Affiliate marketing has not evolved in the same way as other marketing services found online and it has become quite a territorial affair. For example if you look at the client lists of the major networks you see some correlation in different regions. For example dgm have a similar client list to LinkShare in the states and tradedoubler in Europe.

If the international players entered the market they would not be assured of getting their international clients. I also think that most are focusing on home markets. LinkShare is focused on the States and Japan, TD on Europe and CJ on US and Europe.

Finally I think that Australia is a very different market. The amount spent on Affiliate Marketing in comparison to total online budget is quite small compared to other markets. This is mainly down to the lack of e-commerce in Australia. In other markets e-commerce is the life-blood of affiliate marketing and so this is quite a change.

As an example in the difference of scale, a friend of mine runs a large network in the UK, they were pitching last year for a company that sold blinds on the internet (reasonably niche), and yet the size of that campaign financially was worth more than some of the leading banks campaigns in AU.

Now obviously there is a size, population and scale argument to be had but it puts it into perspective when a company selling blinds is making more for a network than a major bank.

They are focusing on where the money is.

Annotation: According to World Bank -- Internet users as percentage of population:

AU 55.7%
    US 72.4%
    CA 72.8%
    UK 79.4%

http://datafinder.worldbank.org/inte...ers?cid=GPD_44

http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=...US:CAN:GBR:USA

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Excellent conversation. I too have several Australian affiliate in various programs and get frequent questions about products available there. When I managed Ancesty.com there was a high degree of search in Australia and New Zealand so we targeted those affiliates. There were specific version for that region.

Seems like you are right that Australia has been overlooked and needs some direct networks. Try posting at the 7Reach forum as they specialize in the undeserved International markets. http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=562

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    I have a lot of Australian affiliates in my merchant programs that are on Shareasale. Perhaps since there are so many affiliates registered in the US versions of the networks no network has felt the need to expand specifically there.
    The thing is, they may have felt the need to not expand to Australia, but then most businesses are in business to make money and the more sales potential the better. So not sure why they not there either.

Affiliate Network Rep Commission Factory's Avatar
    We are starting to see growth in the Australian e-commerce sector. That is why we are launching as an Australian based Affiliate Network in July. The other affiliates networks have bigger markets that they choose to focus on. We feel that the current Australian networks are poor and that with future growth it's a good time for a locally based Affiliate Network.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread