Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Why Flashing Blinky Lights is Reversing Sales
    I did hear back from the affiliate manager, Chris yesterday who told me the reason my last nine sales were reversed is the customers were not new customers and they only paid on first time sales. Their terms of service clearly read:

FlashingBlinkyLights.com, Inc. agrees to pay Affiliate a commission rate of 10% of the total sale (excluding tax and Shipping / Handling) for each sale made by a visitor originating from the your Participating Website using your unique “Affiliate Link”. You will be issued a unique URL, which allows FlashingBlinkyLights.com, Inc. to identify visitors from your site as originating from FlashingBlinkyLights.com.

Nowhere in the terms does it suggest they only pay on first time customers.

I have made SAS aware of this and am certain they will address it, however, I wanted to let everyone know who is getting reversed sales to be on the lookout for some well deserved unreversals...

I love this program and I am sure it is some sort of oversight.. perhaps they forgot to update their terms or service.. but they really need to make things right then update their terms if they want to work under the new unwritten policy..

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Regardless of the customer having bought from them before, the SALE came to them through YOUR affiliate link.

I have a big problem with merchants who think our links don't count if a customer has purchased from them *before* and don't respect the work we do for them.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Everyone has different opinions on this and it is likely to split based on Affiliate v. Merchant...

My personal opinion isn't that important, but I would definitely need to see any Merchant who utilizes a similar policy, to make sure that that policy is clearly defined in the Agreement between Merchant and Affiliate.

When out in the open, and disclosed, this policy isn't outside what is mainstream thinking for Merchants. That doesn't mean everyone will agree... just saying that it isn't unique.

As Anne posted above, we are aware and working on this specific issue.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

ABW Ambassador
    "When out in the open, and disclosed, this policy isn't outside what is mainstream thinking for Merchants."

Maybe not in the thinking but it is out of the mainstream in the actual agreements, what counts. Because I have well over 1000 merchants on my various sites and upper 90% pay on all sales. And for sure, if this is the way they want to go, that's their choice but it needs to be clear in the agreement.

I personally would never partner with such a merchant because I can't see the backend and have no idea if a customer that came from my site is actually new or not, I would have to trust the merchant on that one.

bumping.. the sales have not yet been Unreversed.. sorry I bumped the wrong thread earlier.. this is the correct one I think

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Anne - sent communication to the Merchant today and will follow up with them. Sorry I thought this was taken care of earlier i'll put a reminder for myself to follow up further if nothing is done.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Thanks )

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    I have a big problem with merchants who think our links don't count if a customer has purchased from them *before* and don't respect the work we do for them.
    I have to agree. It's a cheap shot and I think Anne is being very gracious. I haven't signed up w/ them and I certainly won't bother to now unless they change that policy.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Anne, were they saying that those 9 sales were from YOUR repeated customers, or existing customers before they clicked your link for the first time?

In other words, if they get a "new" customer from your aff link, and then this new customer comes back after a month, again through your aff link (or with a cookie), would this be considered a non-new customer?

OR

If someone who has already purchased from the merchant in the past, based on email, delivery address,etc, and they find your aff link, and click it, and they make a purchase.. this is a previous customer way before they clicked on your link.

So, I can see how the 2nd scenario would be interpreted as non-valid, per se.

Actually no matter when they purchased it doesn't matter. There was nothing in the terms about no commissions for repeat customers whatsoever. They changed the terms AFTER I questioned up the reversals.. When all was said and done they said that the reason they reversed was because i have a coupon site... and they actually recruited me knowing I was a coupon site, lol. Anway, the good folks at ShareASale made good on the reversals as FBL would not... so I am greatful as always to SAS for being awesome and I dumped the FBL program... I prefer programs that don't erroneously reverse sales with no policy behind it. Hard enough to send sales as it is, lol.

Glad it all worked out Anne. SAS made good on a problem I had with a merchant last year. I'm also glad you got rid of them. Oh, and by the way, I love cookiesurprises! I didn't realize that was your site or if I did know it, I forgot..lol.. (been happening a lot lately -- forgetfulness)
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

TY TY! My two teens and I just opened it and the response has been great!! ) And the cookies are good too!

Quote Originally Posted by Anne
    TY TY! My two teens and I just opened it and the response has been great!! ) And the cookies are good too!
    Absolutely adorable and a sure bet for me next time I'm looking for something different and cute.
    leeann

Oh, and if I can insert a shameless plug, affiliate program is on SAS

Hey, I'm all for turning a negative into a positive No one will even remember that... blinky -- whatever it was site after they look at yours
    leeann

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by PandaMarketer
    If someone who has already purchased from the merchant in the past, based on email, delivery address,etc, and they find your aff link, and click it, and they make a purchase.. this is a previous customer way before they clicked on your link.

So, I can see how the 2nd scenario would be interpreted as non-valid, per se.
    This needs to be *clearly* stated in the TOS so that affiliates can decide whether or not to join with that restriction in place. It is *not* the industry standard.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I understand, Loxly.

Glad it turned out well for you, Anne. I should drop them, too. (not that I'm making sales with them yet.)

Quote Originally Posted by PandaMarketer View Post
    I understand, Loxly.

Glad it turned out well for you, Anne. I should drop them, too. (not that I'm making sales with them yet.)

Well , if you do they will probably be reversed, lol...

I have had more than a hundred transactions reversed and they were all clicked from the same product page. Since they started reversing these transactions, there had not been any further sales since from that page. I suspect that there may be some sort of tracking issue involved but I can't think of how it may have occurred.

Looking at their 30 day reversal rate, it is at an incredible 68.52 %

This just cannot be good for their reputation and I hope they will clarify what has gone wrong.

I dropped them after my reversals.. what is wrong is something beyond fixing, lol.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaden View Post
    I have had more than a hundred transactions reversed and they were all clicked from the same product page. Since they started reversing these transactions, there had not been any further sales since from that page. I suspect that there may be some sort of tracking issue involved but I can't think of how it may have occurred.

Looking at their 30 day reversal rate, it is at an incredible 68.52 %

This just cannot be good for their reputation and I hope they will clarify what has gone wrong.
    I hate to say it but this is on you at this point and anybody else working with merchants like this. Any merchant that has it in their terms that they don't pay on sales you deliver from their "past customers" is just a way to get out of paying commissions. There's going to be high reversals, I've see it with any merchant that had such a setup.

Did I miss a communication from them? I all of a sudden got an email at midnight last night that I was kicked out of the program. Nothing else. Just a subject line of "FlashingBlinkyLights.com Affiliate Program Application DECLINED." I know I have sent them sales recently.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

15 years and counting
    You're not the only one.
    Their stupid AM must be bored after the holidays and is wondering why we're not booking as many orders.
    So many merchants, so little time...

Humm, we might have a positive note on this thread...

I recently had a couple more reversals, so I sent this to Fbl...

"My last 2 transactions have been voided for some kind of "violation" please be more specific".

some one (Chris Camarella) responded...

"I think it was a mistake. I will look into it".

Maybe they'll fix it?

My issue was handled quickly and professionally. I hate it when I get ready for a good fight and there isn't one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast