Sometimes you have to remind yourself why you became your own boss...
    If I ever need to be reminded why... today would be it...

Right now I'm sitting on the patio in the sunshine, drinking a glass of Silver Oak Cabernet Sauvignon [2004], loaf of artisan bread, Danish blue cheese, veggie sticks and hummus, and some kalamata olives. Couple neighbors stopped by, chatted a bit... more wine... Then to top it off, on the radio they play Dobie Grey, Drift Away..

After I finish this glass I'm going to try and muster up enough energy to crawl over to the hammock for an hour before the sun goes down..... daydreaming about how much I miss the daily commute...

Quote Originally Posted by Mack
    If I ever need to be reminded why... today would be it...

Right now I'm sitting on the patio in the sunshine, drinking a glass of Silver Oak Cabernet Sauvignon [2004], loaf of artisan bread, Danish blue cheese, veggie sticks and hummus, and some kalamata olives. Couple neighbors stopped by, chatted a bit... more wine... Then to top it off, on the radio they play Dobie Grey, Drift Away..

After I finish this glass I'm going to try and muster up enough energy to crawl over to the hammock for an hour before the sun goes down..... daydreaming about how much I miss the daily commute...
    When does your tell-all ebook/video course hit the Internet, O Great Guru Mack? I'll buy a copy.

Could use some blue skies, hammocks, and artisan bread right now.
    Generate more fake news.

http and a telephoto
    I love stories like this

Don't worry superCool, superCool will get there
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Gotta hand it to ya, Mack. Except for the Cabernet Sauvignon, that is. Never been into that particular grape. A little Merlot or Riesling can fill the need, depending on the mood. But for evenings I'd rather sip a bit of Red Breast for Irish or Glenmorangie for the Highlands. But that's after spending the day outdoors in one of my toys - with the top down, of course.

More seriously - this business does work but it did take me several years to get it to work well for me. It cannot be said enough - work the niche(s) that you enjoy and keep at it. Provide something of true value to your readers; help them find whatever it is that they are looking for - as it relates to your niche. And NEVER try to game the system.

In the travel business I did NOT get started at the beginning as did some of my competitors at the beach. I had a lot of catching up to do. But I did stick with it and now I work to stay ahead, as some other folks try to catch up to me. I started by sharing pictures of things we liked to do at the beach. Then we added descriptions of things to do and a 900+ page business directory. People like to "walk the boards" - so we provide nearly 200 pictures of the entire boardwalk. Not a whole lot of narrative, mostly captions and descriptions. All fun things - all things we enjoy.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

The simpler things are just as good as the little luxuries.

It's nice not to have to be jarred from a peaceful sleep by the buzz of an alarm clock in the morning. Not to have to rush to take a shower and make a quick breakfast and rush out the door. Not to have to run to catch or miss a bus or train to get downtown in time to stop for a coffee on the way, and not to have to run the rest of the way with said coffee spilling and destroying yet another necktie. And not to have to have two bosses giving conflicting orders all day, each one badgering you to go faster.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Kickin' back on my deck, with my smelly socks propped up on the rail, munching on a 1/2 pound store bought chili-cheese burrito & washing it down with a 40 oz can of Budweiser.....

I bend over to pet my loyal Siberian Husky on the head and sounds explode from my body...

Dog runs like hell, yelping into the distance.

Family comes rushing out to make sure that all is well..

They rush back in when confronted w/ the evidence -

I stand up, stretch, take a blank look into the horizon knowing...

LIFE JUST DOESN'T GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS!!! -

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Quote Originally Posted by davidh
    The simpler things are just as good as the little luxuries.

It's nice not to have to be jarred from a peaceful sleep by the buzz of an alarm clock in the morning. Not to have to rush to take a shower and make a quick breakfast and rush out the door. Not to have to run to catch or miss a bus or train to get downtown in time to stop for a coffee on the way, and not to have to run the rest of the way with said coffee spilling and destroying yet another necktie. And not to have to have two bosses giving conflicting orders all day, each one badgering you to go faster.
    David, you put that together nicely. Those are things that really are priceless.

I laughed at your coffee-on-necktie example. Then I had trouble trying to remember the last time I even wore a necktie that wasn't a bow-tie. I don't know if I should admit this or not - but I no longer own a suit. For the last several years I seem to make do with a quality blue blazer (jeans or khakis) and a tuxedo. Business meeting attire is a polo shirt (with corp logo) over khakis.
    Last edited by Bill; January 14th, 2010 at 10:03 PM. Reason: typo...
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

lmao@remodelling guy

I am never sure if that picture of being relaxed while "working" suits me. I actually like to work. My workaholic husband actually has to make me go to bed a lot of nights. I stop working in the evening wishing it was morning so I could get on with it!

Of course, not always, but mostly. BUT! on the days where I can't bear to hit another keystroke or sit in front of a computer monitor, when I just want to go out to a cafe and have 2 large latte macchiatos and gossip with my best friend--and I do it--THOSE are the days when I'm glad to be my own boss!

I'm reminded every Sunday when I enjoy the day instead of dreading the next. I promised myself when I started this that I would never HAVE to work on Monday. As it turns out, I sometimes forget that it's Monday, which is absolute freedom to me.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JudiMoore
    I'm reminded every Sunday when I enjoy the day instead of dreading the next. I promised myself when I started this that I would never HAVE to work on Monday. As it turns out, I sometimes forget that it's Monday, which is absolute freedom to me.
    If I may stomp on this thread once again ....

Enjoy the day instead of dreading the next.....

That RAWKS!!! -

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread