Affiliate promotion through Yahoo Answers
    Hello,

One of my marketing buddies got me onto Yahoo Answers. I am using it as a domain to solve other peoples problems with affiliate products.

I have started out by answering one question per day but have had little success so far. I am just curious to see if anyone else uses this as a source of promotion and whether or not they have had any success??

Btw I am masking my affiliate links so they cant be identified..

Cheers

Andy

http and a telephoto
    I don't think you are supposed to be using affiliate links in Yahoo Answers, you might want to check the TOS for that before you end up banned.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I've been doing Y!Answers for a couple of years. I also read that it could be good for traffic, but it really isn't - not much can come from it unless you spend a considerable amount of time there, and that much time can be better spent. I have continued, though, because I enjoy answering various questions, and I limit the time I spend in so doing.

HOWEVER - it is against Y!Answers Community Guidelines to post affiliate links.

What you can do, however, where relevant to an answer, is post a link to one or more websites, and those sites can be your own sites or blogs.

Exploiting the community

Yahoo! Answers is a place to gain knowledge, not customers, page views, or dates. If you have years of experience in something, have a special hobby, own your own business, or if you are a knowledge partner, it's OK to accompany a good, on-topic answer with a link to your website, blog, or email to offer more information. However, it is not OK to post links that are unrelated to the topic or are clearly meant only to solicit others for personal and financial gain. Also prohibited are solicitations like "Will you add me as a contact?" or propositioning people.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

It is ok if you mask the URL using a site such as tinyurl.

Thanks for the feedback i feel that my time is better spent elsewhere

Uh, no. Masking the URL doesn't make it okay. You still have to comply with the rules of Yahoo Answers, the nework and the merchant.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

http and a telephoto
    What Michael said! If you are "caught" by a network or merchant breaking the rules of any community or site by posting affiliate links against the rules of any site you will be not only banned from the site you are posting on but kicked out of the merchants program and probably the network.

Since you haven't been booted apparently you aren't sending any traffic.

You are allowed to send traffic to your site, as noted, as long as it is appropriate.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by andyparks16
    It is ok if you mask the URL using a site such as tinyurl.

Thanks for the feedback i feel that my time is better spent elsewhere
    Yes, your time is better spent elsewehere.

If you think that masking your URL makes it legitimate, then you are either an idiot, a scammer, or both.

If you think that masking your URL makes it legitimate, then you are either an idiot, a scammer, or both.
    fair enough, the rules are becoming more and more clear to me

Yahoo Answers did not work for me, when I tried it a while back and I wouldn`t suggest using it.

I didn't get much traffic from Yahoo Answers. The only chance for good traffic is if you are a best answer with a good link on a question that ends up rankikng number one or two for a high traffic keyword search. This doesn't happen very often. Yahoo Answers is a long shot.
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

I've been using Yahoo! Answers heavily for a few weeks now. Jury's still out, as I'm giving it my all for another week or two, then plan to take my foot off the pedal and monitor results over ensuing weeks.

Even though I have a template response, I type up each answer personally and individually to answer the question directly and in a focused manner. I send traffic back to my site only (no affiliate links), and to pages that are what the asker is seeking.

As I said, I'll analyze conversions soon, and I also hope to get a sense for how often those early questions/answers might still be driving some traffic, weeks later (hopefully via Google searches, etc.). I wouldn't do this just for the 1-shot asker, but I hope I'll get traffic for months/years to come via others seeking answers, either via Y!A itself, or from Google.

I follow a strategy outlined by an eBook I got from a marketer on Warrior Forum. I answer about 3 per day, but for each of those, I also answer another 3-4 "quickies" that are usually 1-2 sentence answers without any links. I also vote on some others' answers, rate some others' answers, and ask the occasional question. I'm trying to make my participation be well-rounded to help combat the occasional abuse/report that gets flagged to my account, all in the hopes of preventing a future banning.

I also pay someone about $1/answer to put up some relevant answers and backlinks to my site. They use their own account, so I don't know what additional measures they take to guard against spam reports. Again, I'll review that traffic to see if it's worth it. I might even push forward and outsource this to $2-$3/hour employees elsewhere in the world. We'll see.

Big tip: Yahoo! allows you to vote on your own answers, so keep track of 'em and check back to vote. Much of the time no one else votes, so you can substantially increase the chances of your answer winning. This gives you mega-points, and also puts your answer on top, potentially increasing traffic if the asker's Q gets good Google placement.

I'm currently looking for a forum/sub-forum that is devoted to Yahoo! Answers (and other "answers" sites) discussions for marketers like us. Anyone know any?

Thanks,

-jts

If the question ranks well organically, you can get a 1-off placement which should result in traffic back to your site. For one particular competitive keyword, there's a Q&A site that ranks on the first page, and I'm the "Best Answer" to the question, so I see traffic from that query, although it's a click away.

Yahoo answers is in my top-10 traffic sources and provides revenue. It's free, you just have to invest a little time.

And like jts said, check the questions you've answered, and see if they're "In Voting", then you can vote for your answer and crank up your points that way.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Affiliate LINKS are against the TOS but what about links to sites that happen to have affiliate links?

So let's say someone asks "What is the best way to learn guitar?"

You post a link to your site about guitar lesson reviews, which happens to have affiliate links to us and some of the lesser products.

Would that be against the TOS? If not, I think that would be a great way to do it. Then you are not promoting one specific merchant but rather providing a service to them.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McWilliams View Post
    Affiliate LINKS are against the TOS but what about links to sites that happen to have affiliate links?

So let's say someone asks "What is the best way to learn guitar?"

You post a link to your site about guitar lesson reviews, which happens to have affiliate links to us and some of the lesser products.

Would that be against the TOS? If not, I think that would be a great way to do it. Then you are not promoting one specific merchant but rather providing a service to them.
    See Post #3 above.

HOWEVER - YA has a ridiculous and archaic reporting and appeal system. Say something someone does not like and you get reported and your answer is immediately removed. I've had answers removed many times, mostly for saying something political that someone did not like, also for criticizing the occasional performer or celebrity, but also, on a couple of occasions, for including a link to one of my own sites. The last time, a question was asked about short-term loans. I gave an informative answer and linked my credit site for more info. That was reported and removed as a "Solicitation" despite following the community guidelines explicitly. (Note that these few occasions are out of almost 1500 answers that I've posted.)

You have a right to appeal, and I always do, and have NEVER won an appeal. I do not think appeals even get read by live people, but rather are just automatically denied. There is a second step appeal that I've tried a couple of times, but never won on those either.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

I recently got one of my answers removed because of being reported by someone. I just assumed that 1 single report wouldn't delete an answer, since that would create all kinds of havoc on the site, but maybe a mere 2 people can gang up on you and pull your answer. I didn't bother to appeal, but I wonder if my lack of doing so could be used against me...

As for linking to your site which includes affiliate links, I think that starts to be in a gray area. But, keeping it clean and offering honestly helpful info to the asker should do the trick.

I think it's unreasonable and unfair of YA to expect people to post answers without some measure of personal gain. Personally, I think win/win/win/win situations are the best for everyone around - help the asker with relevant info, help yourself with a possible click-back and sale, help your advertisers/merchants if you get a sale, and help Yahoo! by building out their site. ...I think the boldfaced sentence in post #3, as important as it is, is directed towards answers with backlinks that offer no value to the asker.

-jts

Quote Originally Posted by jts View Post
    I recently got one of my answers removed because of being reported by someone. I just assumed that 1 single report wouldn't delete an answer, since that would create all kinds of havoc on the site, but maybe a mere 2 people can gang up on you and pull your answer. I didn't bother to appeal, but I wonder if my lack of doing so could be used against me...
    I report and the answer is immediately removed. Yes - too many reports can get your account suspended, but there is no realistic way to avoid it - the appeal system is a total joke.

Just saw my all-time favorite question on YA:

Why can't chickens cross the road without having their motives questioned?

Affiliate Manager Resume Companion's Avatar
    IMO YAnswers is a waste of time b/c while it may drive some traffic/revenue, you arent building long term equity to your site. Your time is better spent learning, creating tools/content, building networks and relationships, etc.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread