Im really confused
    Yup.. im a newbie over here.. and im so confused, as a merchant i sell a tangible product, and being that i have so much time invested in making a great product and a great deal, im interested in hiring a few people to work on pushing my products on a commission base, why wouldn't someone be interested if they knew that there was the possibility for good money earning? Why go to these known names companies when they ask for a large amount of money upfront before you can even get into the door. I am willing to give a fair commission. I am interested about the concerns of the marketer, how can they feel ensured that myself as the vendor is keeping it kosher and vice versa? All your advice is much appreciated. Thank you all

Quote Originally Posted by Blowzell
    I am interested about the concerns of the marketer, how can they feel ensured that myself as the vendor is keeping it kosher and vice versa? All your advice is much appreciated. Thank you all
    Unfortunately as affiliates it's hard to put our trust in merchants that we know absolutely nothing about which is why a "reliable" network becomes important.

Read around ABW, you'll find plenty of threads about well known merchants working through networks that haven't paid for a variety of reasons. Sometimes the reason is technology oriented, sometimes greed, sometimes it's a misinterpretation of their terms. But whatever the reason, we have a better chance of getting paid when there is a network involved. Even though many of us have learned not to rely on networks as a "trusted third party" we can usually rely on their greed; if we don't get paid, they don't get paid.

So my advice to a new merchant is to do your research and find a good network to align your program with. Again, read around ABW to find out who we recommend, you'll find plenty of threads that'll give you a good idea who we like and don't like. If you still want to run your program in-house after a couple of years you'll have a better idea of what you'll need to be successful and you'll have hopefully garnered some trust among your affiliates.

Good luck.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Moderator Note: Split out and moved to the Starting an Affiliate Program forum.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

http and a telephoto
    Also be sure to read the stickied posts in http://abestweb.com/bestpractices and you will find all kinds of info about why affiliates prefer networks, which networks and how to get them interested in promoting your products.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

It really depends on how worth it to you it is to not have a network. Networks do all the middle work that tracks leads, monitors the affiliates, and sets up offers with them. They have the knowledge of fraud, how to identify it, and deal with it. If you are starting out its hard to have the connections and relationships with affiliates that networks already have established. That in itself can make it hard to get started.

I would say check out the different networks and consider that, but if you feel you can do it yourself there is no harm in trying!

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    1. Research the market
    2. Join an affiliate program
    3. Promote your program

Hey Blowzell

1.) Go with a network, Definitely. ShareASale does not require high monthly minimums or huge start up fees and the trust and exposure you gain from a network will be invaluable to your program.

2.) Choose Auto Deposit - Affiliates want to be paid what they are rightfully due. Auto deposit gives peace of mind in knowing they will be paid for legitimate sales in a timely manner.

3.)Keep all lines of communication open. - Make yourself readily available to address their questions and concerns via email, telephone, forums etc.

4.) Run a clean program. - Educate yourself on parasites and unethical affiliates, even if you choose a network that doesn't allow parasites it would still be to your benefit to be aware of how they work. Learn what to look for and who they are. Use this information to protect your hard working, above board affiliates from theft of their commissions. They will appreciate this!

Good advice Lisa, but
    Auto deposit gives peace of mind in knowing they will be paid for legitimate sales in a timely manner.
    I would change a little.

We know we will be paid because it is SAS, but Auto Deposit means that the merchant's links won't suddenly go dead because they had a big sale in the middle of the weekend. Who wants to actively promote a merchant who does not ensure that their links can lead to a sale?

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread