Thread: Tax Time

Tax Time
    I promote United States and Canada events and earn commission in both. I live in the United States as well. Will Buy.at send a 1099 or W2 in order for me to report my income on my 2009 tax return?

Peterman -

Because buy.at is technically a UK owned company they do not provide a 1099 form. As such, you need to report the income on your own.

-Amy

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy Ely
    Peterman -

Because buy.at is technically a UK owned company they do not provide a 1099 form. As such, you need to report the income on your own.

-Amy
    I do not think this is correct.

IRS "General Instructions for Forms 1099, 1098, 3921, 3922, 5498, and W2-G" states on Page 15 that
    "Non-US payers generally have the same reporting obligations as US payers."
    I do not see how you can legally circumvent the requirement of providing 1099s to your US affiliates who promoted your merchants in the US and received commissions paid to them in the US through your network.

Your statement make me very glad that I never joined buy.at.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I belong to Buy.at affiliate program and they are indeed in the United States, I just got their christmas card a month back , it was sent from their office in Baltimore, MD.
    I think they must send one out or at least provide one online to print out.

ABW Ambassador
    © 2010 buy.at | An AOL Advertising Company

AOL certainly is a U.S. company.

I don't give any tax advice, but you need to report the income if you get a 1099 or not.

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    peterman131313,

Please accept my apologies for the delay in gettin gback to you on this thread.

All affilates to buy.at contract to the UK legal entity and, as such, we are not required to supply 1099 forms.

Regards

Paul

I don't see any problem with that. We have to report our income regardless, and Buy.at is not withholding so there is no need for the piece of paper. Between the Buy.at reports and the Payoneer reports (for currency conversion), you should have all you need. My only challenge will be to decide what year to report the Payoneer portion, as they closed my account (for lack of use), then took weeks to get me set up again so I could receive money. So money paid by Buy.at in 2009 didn't get to me until 2010. But, not to worry. The amount will not worry the IRS regardless of which year I put it in.
    ---
    Valerie Magee
    [URL=http://mageenet.net]MageeNET[/URL]

Tax Time
    Ok I see the point of view that Buy.at is a UK company , however If i fill out my own 1099-MISC form what number do I put in as the Payer's Federal ID number? from the IRS site, It is required no matter what, even if they are forign

You don't ever fill out a 1099-MISC for your own income. If it is not required (income under $600, or a foreign company) then there isn't one. Not to worry. You are still responsible for reporting the income on your tax return. There will be no 1099 to match, but so what? You are reporting your income and the IRS will be happy to see it. You only need a 1099 to substantiate tax withheld, but a foreign company does not withhold US taxes. Stop worrying, add up your income, and report it.
    ---
    Valerie Magee
    [URL=http://mageenet.net]MageeNET[/URL]

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Quote Originally Posted by nyrmanny
    It is required no matter what, even if they are forign
    If you want to shut down international affiliate commerce, just start insisting that non_US companies have to "register" with the US IRS when there is absolutely no requirement to do so, just to pay US-based affiliates.

US residents are required to report all their income to the IRS. If you have income from overseas YOU report it, whether the payer has a TIN or not.

Affiliate Network Rep
    buy.at has a UK Company Registration #

You will want to talk with your local tax expert to make sure this is the identifier you are looking for, as the request is for a federal identifier. As I stated, this is a non-US Federal ID, but rather is a UK Company Registration ID.

Please let us know if you need additional information,
    c3

12. Newsletter Signup